Ryzen 1600 poor gaming performance

joseph500

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Hi guys so i upgraded to a Ryzen 1600 from an I5 4570 few weeks ago.
i hadn't really been playing any demanding games until recently.

So a few days ago i decided to fire up GTA V when i got into gameplay it was running at 25fps i thought that was odd so i checked the graphical settings they were set to ultra i turned them down to medium i also switched off shadows AA FXAA post processing ect i restarted the game & only got about a 15 frame increase to 40 i tinkered around with the settings a bit longer then fired up MSI afterburner to check if it could've been a bottleneck.

Nope my GPU (RX 480) was being fully utilised the only thing that i thought looked odd is that all the cores were between 40% & 20% usage.

Next i tried Battlefield 4 this ran better but the FPS were inconsistent & the game ran a bit choppy (sometimes) & the GPU was at 100% usage so no bottleneck ( i hope )

Next i tried Skyrim SE & Cities Skylines these were both unplayable.

skyrim was running below 30fps & was juddering constantly Skylines was barely running at 20fps on medium & was extremely choppy.

I updated my graphics drivers changed Windows to high performance mode overclocked my CPU to 3.8ghz (ryzen master) changed my motherboard settings high performance mode as well that didn't help either

I nudged the frequency on my 2x8 GB of corsair vengeance from 2666 to 2800 & that helped a tiny bit

I ran some tests on Cinebench & the results looked fine was scoring higher than a 3930k score was about 1159
( I'll check when i get home)

My 4570 performed a lot better than this
( in gaming at least)

Have i missed something here or did i just lose out on the CPU.

Any help is appreciated.

SPECS
Ryzen 1600
Asus B350-F
Corsair Vengeance 2x8 2666
RX 480 4GB
Team SSD 480GB ( OS)
WD Green 240gb SSD
WD Blue HDD 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Cooler Master MWE Gold 550w

Solution
Thats an odd upgrade choice, doesn't offer that much if any better gaming performance over the 4570.

Is it running at 100% on all cores? How does it score against other 1600s on cpu benchmarks (eg. Cinebench, 3d mark)

Did you have to overclock to get it ahead of 3930k? If so that shouldnt be the case.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Thats an odd upgrade choice, doesn't offer that much if any better gaming performance over the 4570.

Is it running at 100% on all cores? How does it score against other 1600s on cpu benchmarks (eg. Cinebench, 3d mark)

Did you have to overclock to get it ahead of 3930k? If so that shouldnt be the case.

Solution