ryzen 1700x or 1700 ?

Yoshino76

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
So my budget is a bit tight, if I buy the 1700x I would probably could buy only 8 gb of ram, but if I get the 1700 I could buy 3000mhz 16gb ram

Is it worth the sacrifice? The stock cooler from the 1700 is good enough to oc ?

I mainly use the pc for gaming, but I always preferred amd over intel, that's why I choose ryzen

Solution
The stock HSF is good enough to overclock most 1700s to 3.8GHz unless you get really unlucky with the silicon lottery.

Here's a hint: all the overclocking in the world won't save your life if you run out of RAM. Even a 10GHz overclock won't spare you from horrible stutter if the system has to use the swapfile or reload stuff from SSD/HDD due to being low on spare RAM.

To make a car analogy, all the top speed or peak HPs in the world won't help you pull your 5t trailer without low-end torque. RAM is your low-end torque that keeps the CPU from stalling on large-memory (as in many modern games that need 12-16GB for comfort) workloads.

theyeti87

Honorable
I run my 1700 @ 3.4Ghz on all cores w/ the Wraith cooler with no problems. High temps around 70C when going full blast on folding@home. If money is an object here, go with the 1700 as it includes a cooler. You'll be able to afford more and faster RAM, too.

The only real difference between 1700 and 1700X is the thermal headroom. 1700 is a 65watt chip and the X has a bigger headroom of 95 watt. You should be able to overclock the X variant higher than the non-X, but real-world performance difference is next to none.

InvalidError

Titan
The stock HSF is good enough to overclock most 1700s to 3.8GHz unless you get really unlucky with the silicon lottery.

Here's a hint: all the overclocking in the world won't save your life if you run out of RAM. Even a 10GHz overclock won't spare you from horrible stutter if the system has to use the swapfile or reload stuff from SSD/HDD due to being low on spare RAM.

To make a car analogy, all the top speed or peak HPs in the world won't help you pull your 5t trailer without low-end torque. RAM is your low-end torque that keeps the CPU from stalling on large-memory (as in many modern games that need 12-16GB for comfort) workloads.

Solution

Yoshino76

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

Sadly I'm forced to buy it in my country and since everyone is a piece of garbage there's no way they will lower the prices

Yes, you are absolutely right, thanks