Ryzen 1700x precision boost??? nothing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Using Aida 64 for a stress test, and monitoring the cores on my 1700x with Ryzen master and or windows performance monitor, my CPU sits right at 3.4, never moves at 100 load. (says precision boost 3.8 on the box) I am using a Noctua U9S... I know its not the best cooler but it keeps my temps quite low.

Even at the start of the test with 100 percent usage, nothing happens when its cold or hot.

In my MSI x370 bios the settings for the boost is just "AUTO" or "DISABLE" it is on auto of course.

Am I missing something here?

Solution
Many games take advantage of multi threading, this means that they use more than one core/thread. Now most games now use up to 4 cores/threads and soon will support even more. Because games use more than the 2 core /thread limit for precision boost the CPU sits at its base frequency.

What would precision boost help with? It helps with "lightly threaded" applications/programs. This means that programs that use a single core/thread or two cores/threads will get the added frequency to help finish the task quicker. By finishing the cued process quicker it can go back into a energy saving state quicker making it more efficient. Now because of the allotted wattage envelope is still met because only 2 cores/threads are boosted it is still...

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I wanted to come back to this...
I went to a local computer store, and they had a machine set up with a the same CPU as mine, only it was on an ASUS board instead of an MSI board.
Their chip is showing Precision boost all over the place just while surfing the web... mine won't do that! I know it is turned on in the bios... what is going on here?
I am starting to think my chip is not working.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
This is the third out of three motherboards that work. So yes, but not this one.
Everything else is finally working, but I cannot figure out a way to get the P boost to actually happen visibly. Stressing it with bench marking software does nothing. Occasionally I will see it bump up for a split second for no apparent reason but its rare.

I did not test this on the other motherboards because one was a brick and the other I hadn't got nearly this far.
The only thing different the guy had at the shop was a asus prime mobo, and a hyper 212 evo on there. I have a noctua u9s... so I guess my thermals could be slightly higher but I doubt it...
I REALLY want proof this things works... so far I cannot find it.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I wanted to add, all I had open on windows 10 with the floor model ryzen 1700x was ryzen master and firefox opened with like newegg or something on the page... the core constantly boosted up to 3.9 and back down.. .just while doing that.

I currently have 10 windows open plus other programs and am constantly clicking vigorously all over the different tabs... it ant doing a damn thing! lol

At this point it is best to get in touch with MSI's support and AMD support together to figure out which piece is causing the issue.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't one of them suggest clearing the Cmos / resetting the BIOS? Did you actually do this by either moving the jumper or removing the Cmos battery?

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I did not do that yet... but I tried setting everything back to stock.
I don't see why that would help... I do have a ton of jumpers sitting around.
AMD pretty much is no longer responding and since it is the weekend I can't call MSI.

On the subject of MSI. They have released a new bios with a new AGESA code... should I bother getting that? I would think since my memory works how I want it to there is no reason.

This is up to you BUT MSI support will ask you to update your BIOS. So at this point you might as well be one step ahead in the trouble shooting.

The jumper is already on your board, you do not need another. Without knowing the exact model motherboard (I know it is an MSI x370 but they made many different models) I can not tell you exactly where it is located. So to make things easier, unplug your power supply from the wall and remove the button battery on the motherboard for 30-45 seconds and replace. This will wipe your BIOS and force the motherboard to scan all the hardware that is installed. Yes this can make a difference and is different than just setting the BIOS to factory settings.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
SO just to be sure... when testing this with prime95 you want to go to the top and do torture test, set to blend test and set the threads/cores to 1 correct? That has zero effect on the speed... neither does aida64.

It is odd that your board has only 2 pins for clearing the Cmos. For future reference a flat head screw driver will work also as you just need to connect the two pins for a short time. When you tried this did you make sure the power supply was unplugged from the wall? Because if it is not then it will keep the settings.

Yes a torture test, blend is good and set it to run on 1 thread/core this should force it to boost the core speed.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
I did not unplug the PSU but it completely reset all the settings that were on there so I know it indeed worked. I had to re do my XMP and everything.
I've tried clocking my ram back down, turning off virtualization. Messing with power state stuff. Pretty much everything I can think of in those bios that would effect such a thing.
This really bites... I so don't want to have to use my warranty on this CPU. I'll be without my main computer for a month and a half. It is starting to look like that is my option here.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
aaah... I think im ganna have to go down to my little computer shop and beg them to let me put my 1700x in their mobo and see if it does the same thing... that will tell me at least if its my motherboard or my chip... I doubt they will let me do that though.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
AMDs tech support is so annoying. I told them everything I said here, about the stress testing... about the other CPU I tried at the local computer store that worked and how mine is not... and how I cannot seem to get my chip to boost ever. They say:

"With this technology Ryzen CPUs will fine tune processor performance adjusted in real time to meet the performance demands of your game or app. So if there is a demand for more power, CPU will adjust the clocks to maximum frequency depending on the cooler and application demand.

If you like to have the CPU running at max frequency all the time, you will have to adjust the Clock and voltage manually."

dude COME ON!... I know man... they obviously did not read my mesage.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
interesting... I have a corsair h100i V2, i'm hoping that will be enough for the bit of extra voltage I will need to run it at higher speeds. Thanks for trying to help me though man, that was nice of ya.

That cooler will handle around 220W - 250W of heat generated by a CPU. It will definitely be enough to cool that CPU with a good overclock and the added voltage. Just remember that the Ryzen chips usually top out around 4 GHz so while overclocking watch the temps and voltage. If I am not mistaken AMD recommended not going over 1.35V (please double check this as for I could be stating the wrong voltage) for 24/7 use or it could hurt the longevity of the chip.

Many times they set the voltage higher than it needs to be to allow for the weakest of all the CPUs. As an example my Phenom II 965 default setting was 1.38v but ran stable at 1.25v. So it is likely that your chip will run on less voltage than what the default setting is.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
So I spoke with AMD some more about this, they had me send them a picture of a benchmark running with Ryzen Master opened. They confirmed there is definitely an issue. They said I need to try a different motherboard to know for sure with the chip, and gave me the information for RMA.

I am going to beg my local store to let me put my chip in their display RYzen system and check it... so looks like I got lucky again!
If its the motherboard i'm going to very angry... that would mean 3 dud boards in a row. It is most likely the chip I am thinking.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
So here is what I discovered:
I got to try three different Ryzen systems over the past couple weeks.

So the first Ryzen I tried at the store was no longer there, the system had sold so I could not put my chip in THAT motherboard, however I got to test my 1700x on a different system, with the same motherboard.

SO the original system worked perfectly, while mine did not. My system does not boost at all. The computer at the store would boost correctly.

I went and visited with a tech, and he had a ryzen 1700 (non x variant)
His 1700 was acting exactly like mine is... no boost no nothing with benching software, or other tasks. In fact his chip would boost DOWN at times.
So for the hell of it we threw my CPU into that chipset.

My chip would boost SOMETIMES... but mostly not at all!

So I have tried three different chips on two different motherboards... one would boost properly, one would boost SOMETIMES, and the last would not boost up... but down instead... all tests were done on the same ASUS motherboard....

Strange.

glytch5

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
It boosted randomly a tiny bit... for about .5 seconds and it was totally random... like he would open edge after a restart, and the first open it would boost for a split second, if we closed edge and re opened it, no boost. We could not "make it" boost... and this was at a tech station. His 1700 non X would not boost either... same exact thing.
the 1700x they had there that is now sold WAS boosting properly... weird right?

The tech said "your computer may not NEED the boost" he was saying he built a machine with the older FX 9350 or whatever, him and the customer never got that machine to boost... that was the chip that had the HUGE turbo boost. I know thats a whole different scenario but, that is kinda what he was driving at... very weird right?

so I have tried three different ryzens, two while standing with a full time tech and we could not get a boost... idk why that one machine that was on display was boosting... perhaps it had all kinds of bloatware runnin

kenchoshvili.gio

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

after overclocking my ryzen 1700X doing same thing on gigabyte k5 gaming motherboard!
when i am opening opera browser ore something like cpu multiplier and vcore voltage goes up and down max i seen vcore voltage 1,42 and 4.1 ghz
i try many thing but nothing helps