ryzen 1800x random instability

jaxsshadow

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
okay so let me preface this with, up until very recently like maybe a week or two max my system being a 1800x and x370 prime were rock solid stable at 4ghz 1.35v like 24hrs of prime 95 stable, two weeks ago i put my system in a new case because the old one was super heavy and hard to move so i put it in a nzxt h440,put some noctua fans on my h110i gtx aswell because i wanted some quieter fans that delivered the same performance as the stock corsair ones and that was it. turned the system back on ran like 5 runs of cinebench just to make sure everything was alright, now i run cinebench from time to time because its kinda fun to do. starting about a week ago i ran cinebench and go about 2 seconds in blackscreen, did it a few more times to make sure it wasn't something strange black screened every time, i'm also getting an "hardware failure" from aida when i run that after about 5min~ so i tried to up the voltage a bit see if that would quell the issue tried a few times up to 1.4 volts no avail. then my system started not posting when i put it back to the use to be stable settings, as it does crash in games or any other taxing tasks i do so i was just going to ignore it then my system would turn on fans would spin up then it turned off completely did this a few times and it posted after i reset the bios, i turned the fans to quite to see if it would post then at 1.35 volts as i had some kind of a gut feeling. worked however cinebench still black screens me. also throughout this cpuz has been giving me strange voltages as a vid reading like 1.330 and 1.384 or a few others in that range. lastly during my testing with cinebench (during this entire ordeal) i would get idle temps at ike 60 which is ridiculous but load temps were fine, so i feel like my board or cpu is dying dont know why maybe the fans are fucking the board up by drawing to much current, im not really sure what to make of this tbh.

sorry if its hard to follow ive been up late trying to fix this thanks any help you can give me

RAGNAR5

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
let cross our fingers your system is not dying and it's a bios problem.

make sure you install the cpu cooler properly.

use cpu z or asus ai suite 3 or bios to see how high your voltages go ?if it's going higher than 1.4v or 1.55 there is definitely bios problem.

uninstall ai suite 3 completly and restart your pc.

go to bios find and load default bios (reset your pc after that) or clear cmos your bios as instructions.

disable cpu core boost from bios and from bios check your cpu fan setting as it's a asus motherboard it should be Q-FAN and choose turbo profile so it would

keep up with temprature and restart your pc to see if your voltages and temps droped.(now it should run at 3.6ghz and voltage on auto around 1.25 at highest)

as it's as unstable that it can't run even an easy cinebench test lets see if in new bios settings (it should run at 3.6 ghz and 1.25 in highest voltage just put

it on auto) your build work stable if it is the check with aida (it's better than prime for stabilty and stress test).

let us know if your problem solved.

i think AMD's xfr technology make the mess the voltages and cpu frequency get higher even in idle i hope it should be solved on future bios updates. by the way update your bios to latest official one.

jaxsshadow

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013

so ive been testing all day, i tested all that you told me turning off cpu core boost and so on, when i did this i saw while under load temps in the 60s and below, as well as the core speed absolutely droppingwhile running cinebench and aida it when from 3.6 to as low as 2.2 ghz. the voltage was also all over the place, it never went above like 1.28 but it was constantly fluctuating between 0.9 to 1.26 and a few times i saw it go as low as 0.4.

i also re applied the thermal paste to the cooler see if that was causing wierd temp spikes didnt work to say the least, they are still happening at idle, where cpu will be constantly going from 60s to 50s

i also connected my noctua fans which had previously been going through the mobo through the h110i that they are mounted to, as i had a hunch that might be a problem for some reason. and i booted into 4ghz 1.35v fine ran cinebench 3 times just fine and in the middle of a skype call just as i thought i was out of the woods system black screened and hasnt been able to pass cinebench sense and now if i alter the bios settings to pretty much anything that isnt stock it wont boot, i have to clear cmos every time.

so now im fairly certain that the board has some kind of bios problem.

also ive been on the latest bios the entire time that being 0805

any other suggestions on action to take cause i dont know what the problem could be at this point

update its now crashing during idle at stock settings

RAGNAR5

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
it's normal to have voltages 0.4 to 1.28 v but i didn't get when you take aida stress test or cinebench your frequencies were 2.2 ghz or 3.6 ?
it should be 3/6 under load and 2.2 on idle normaly but if you choose amd's ryzen master power plan it would stay at 3.6 all the time.

every chip , mobo and ram has it's own capability to overclock so if you don't get stable at 4 ghz don't do it go with 3.9 or 3.8 ghz you also can use 1t or more stable 2t when overclocking it.

also i don't know the capability of asus peime-x370 pro on overclocking as it isn't the premium board.

your build clearly say you it isn't stable at 4.0 ghz 1.35v .

jaxsshadow

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
im going to rma the board as now its crashing under completely stock settings.

also just for clarification when i said it was stable at 4ghz i mean that i had been running it for over 3 months at that speed and had stressed if with aida at that when i first got it for 48hrs

so yes the fact that its no longer stable at 4ghz tells me theres some kind of issue

furthermore its now black screening at completely stock settings while idle which seriously points to some kind of mother board failure whether bios or otherwise

i will update this when i get my board back from asus to let u guys know if the problem is resolved or if it continues

RAGNAR5

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

i hope your problem will be solved after RMA.
what was your cooling solution when you were at 4ghz ? i'm asking for myself

jaxsshadow

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013

corsair h110i GTX

jaxsshadow

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
UPDATE*
i rma'ed the board go another one that also died but this time it was quick and it was definitely the problem not only because after re-looking at amazon and new egg reviews that people were have shockingly similar problems to me but also because i bought an asrock killer ac x370 and since all my problems have vanished completely even got my overclock dialed back in and its stable, so for anyone reading this later and looking for an x370 board DO NOT i repeat DO NOT BUY the asus x370 prime pro