[SOLVED] Ryzen 1st generation 1600 to 2920?

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hi guys
Happy Thanksgiving.
Is this even worth an upgrade. The AMD ryzen 5 1600 to 2920 .
If so I think I may be able to use tbe same board..Asus I dont recall exact model...
Video card I want to say is the 780ti?
I know there arent many shooters (single player mode) lately..that's all I enjoy..some 3rd party too
Worth it?
Seems the difference wouldn't even be noticeable
Thanks!

Solution
Long as the cpu is running cool.

We've established you're running dual channel memory, thats good. DDR4 is what you have not DDR3.

You can put any Ryzen 2 cpu in there if you wanted. Im not sure if the HSF you have currently is sufficient so if you did change to a 2600/2700, it would be a good idea to use the supplied heatsink and fan they come with.

Your cpu is good enough. An 2700 would give a little boost, between 5~10fps more.

Upgrading the graphics card would be more of an upgrade. Gtx 1080 / 1080Ti, Rtx 2070 / 2080 or 2080Ti.

If you upgrade the graphics card, before you do, check you have an appropriate power supply and pcie cables to power the graphics card you want.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
It all depends on what you are using the system for. If its just for games then no, the threadripper is not going to in my opinion be a good price to performance upgrade.
I would recommend the 2600 or 2600x or if you want to go for an 8 core the 2700x is nice. You will most likely need to do a bios update on the board then install the 2nd gen ryzen and bam your done.

I have a system with an 1800x @ 4GHz and a 2600 system @ 4.2GHz. The 2nd Gen has a better instructions per clock, faster single core, and a faster clock/boost clock than the 1st Gen.

All in all if you go threadripper you will need a new board and processor for a very small gain in performance. The single threaded performance of the 2920 isn't much better than the "consumer" grade processors, which is what most games use anyway. Although a lot of games are starting to utilize multi-core performance they aren't that great and the threadripper won't benefit that much.

Hopefully this was helpful.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just to add, will need to update your motherboard's bios to run 2nd gen Ryzen which means you'll need to identify your exact motherboard model to download the correct bios firmware from the manufacturers website.

Can identify the motherboard using HWinfo. Not sure if Ryzen master would also give you that info, volkgren might know.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
Forgot to mention this in my first post. 1xxx is first gen and 2xxx is second gen. Now the second gen is really the same as first except instead of 14nm transistors it uses 12nm and some other slight upgrades with voltage and performance.

I would start with a new or newer GPU, then if you have the money go for a 2nd gen ryzen (The 2nd gen uses the same socket and board but will require a bios update to allow for the new CPU). Truthfully you won't see a huge performance boost from the CPU, the 1600 is a good processor and should be fine. You will see a huge increase in the GPU.

My 3GB 1060 plays anything on medium to high settings at around 90-120 fps. I drunk bought a 4GB 980 on ebay and the 1060 was still better, so a 970 or better should be a worthy upgrade from your 780ti. Just be cautious of used hardware and make sure that you can return it if it is DOA. If you go for new this week is going to be a good week to buy.

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Achmedsback

Thanks for the note
I was thinking the 2900x and a newer geforce...

However honestly it seems there arent that many firet person shooters for the pc
One ever 6 or so months..

So wondering if just the newer video card would boost performance. I need to double check what my video card model is..

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree 1600 is good enough and will run a 1080Ti perfectly fine.

Wouldn't go a thread ripper cpu (2900x) as said for gaming. 2900x's single core performance isn't as great and an 2700x is faster for gaming if you wanted 2nd gen Ryzen. Even so, you still need to update your bios and without knowing what your board model is that makes it impossible. Cant just slap any bios, the bios firmware needs to suit your board specifically.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

There are quite a few that come out but are not AAA titles, Titanfall 3 is rumored to launch in the spring, battlefront 3 near the end of the summer and as always a new battlefield and call of duty will be out next fall. Now for some of the other ones that you don't here about look at humblebumble and steam for those. Youtubers are also good about announcing new releases.

Check your card and remember this is just my personal opinion so feel free to disagree. If your card is 9xx or older then I would look into the 10xx series or even the 20xx series. Pascal (10 series) is still good and relevant but you should look at a 1070, 1080, or 1080ti if you are going with a good performance improvement. Remember that Turing (20 series) is still rather new and there have been some issues with them so do some research.

And to answer the question above, you will see a huge performance increase. I'm actually looking into the 1080TI that will be relevant for at least 4 more years and play AAA games on at least medium to high settings in 2020-21.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
Boju is right, the card is about the same as a 1060 6GB or a 1070 (slightly better than a 1060 but not quite as good as a 1070).
If you are able to play games well then I wouldn't upgrade.

By the way why do you want to upgrade, are you having issues with specific games or is this a "because I can" thing?
Your motherboard won't make a huge difference but it will help with overclocking.
I'm going to assume a B350 variant as those are the most popular.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

Should be fine, and with that board you will not need to do a bios update in order to upgrade to a 2nd gen ryzen CPU.

Like I said before if you have a few buck I would go with a GPU upgrade, then again on Amazon the 2600x is going for $220 and the 2600 is $145 now. I might buy one just because lol.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, 2nd gen will fit right in as said and no bios update required.

Did you or a friend help you build it or is it a store bought PC?

A gpu upgrade would be better i agree.

Also how much memory do you have and do you know if there are two memory sticks for dual channel? Might be a tricky question if you didn't build the PC yourself. If a friend did help would be great if they could help you.

Ryzen's reliance on memory for performance is quite high. 2x 8GB is much faster than 1x 8GB as dual channel doubles the memory bandwidth allowing the cpu to work faster. If you only have one stick of ram would be ideal to get another.

Regarding memory though, a kit is better than buying another single stick. The single stick may work with your other memory or might not. Thats if you're not running dual channel already.

---

Reminding, whenever a cpu change, it's also recommended to re-do thermal paste. That means cleaning old paste with isopropyl alcohol (bought from electronic, chemists, supermarkets and hardware stores) and apply new paste if you're using aftermarket cooler. If stock cooler is what's used, a new Ryzen cpu will come with a new cooler with thermal pad pre applied.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

Not always, the higher end CPU's don't usually come with a stock cooler, the 1700x, 1800x and 2700x do not for sure and I wanna say that the 2600x doesn't either but I'm not entirely sure

Pnico, you will want to verify this and get some thermal paste if you need to. I would recommend getting aftermarket paste anyway. Arctic silver and thermal grizzley are great. I'm more partial to arctic silver 5 but that's just me. Just a little bit out of the tube and if you are unfamiliar with the process go look it up on youtube, Gamers Nexus, Jaystwocents, and linus tech tips are great channels that give tutorials. I learned that 2 thin lines are perfect for the larger ryzen processors.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

TRENDING THREADS