[SOLVED] Ryzen 2600x safe voltages

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Hello all,

I was just wondering what are safe voltage numbers for a Ryzen 2600x. I can't seem to find a definitive answer for this anywhere online. On my new build with a 2600x (all settings set to default in bios on an AsRock B450M Pro 4 with no xmp) I am seeing in Ryzen Master as well as HWiNFO voltages that regularly spike up to 1.4v. Is this normal? I noticed that if I set Windows 10 to Power Saver under Power Options the voltages drop to .7 - .9 range and don't go above (the clock speed comes down too - as low as 2.1). On High Performance it ranges from 1.1 to 1.45 and on Balanced it ranges from .7 on idle up to 1.45 when actually doing something. The thing is that it jumps to the 1.4 range really quick. Even when I move my mouse it goes from .7 to 1.4 on Balanced. Is that normal? It seems like quite a spike. And is 1.4 safe to begin with? Should I keep it on Power Saver by default (and switch to Performance of Balanced when I'm doing work)? Would those low voltages give me better long term life of the cpu?

Solution
hhmm... I'll have to check those vid numbers when I get home (i'm currently at work). My temps are around 40-45c on light loads like web browsing (when voltages are low like .7 - .9 on power saver in power options the temps come down to about 30-35c) and in the 70's on moderately intense loads. If I run prime95 I get around 85c. It typically sticks below 90c. I ran prime95 for about an hour (on two occasions) and when the temp hits 90 it appears that the cpu compensates somehow and the temps come down to about 85. The temps rise/fall like this throughout an intensive load like prime95 or realbench. Those temps seem reasonable to me. The voltages are around 1.3-1.35 in an intensive benchmark (100% on all cores) and all cores stick to...
Hi,

This is absolutely normal, and nothing to worry about. This is Ryzen boost working.

When the system allows it, 1 or two cores or even all cores will boost. At that time and mostly for a split second the vcore can go to 1.45 or even higher. It drops back straight away. It doesn't sustain that voltage for long, or continuously.

You could if you wanted, set a manual vcore, so it doesn't spike like that, but you have to find the right vcore for YOUR CPU. Starting at 1.3v and seeing if it's stable at that voltage, using Prime95 small fft's, to establish it's stable. If not stable, go to 1.325, and test again.

Once you've found a stable vcore and set it manually, your vcore won't fluctuate like that.

But, the PB (precision boost) feature on Ryzen is actually really good and efficient. So if your not OC'ing, then i'd suggest leaving it as it is. It's totally safe, and will do no harm to your CPU and will not reduce the lifespan of your CPU.

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Hi,

This is absolutely normal, and nothing to worry about. This is Ryzen boost working.

When the system allows it, 1 or two cores or even all cores will boost. At that time and mostly for a split second the vcore can go to 1.45 or even higher. It drops back straight away. It doesn't sustain that voltage for long, or continuously.

You could if you wanted, set a manual vcore, so it doesn't spike like that, but you have to find the right vcore for YOUR CPU. Starting at 1.3v and seeing if it's stable at that voltage, using Prime95 small fft's, to establish it's stable. If not stable, go to 1.325, and test again.

Once you've found a stable vcore and set it manually, your vcore won't fluctuate like that.

But, the PB (precision boost) feature on Ryzen is actually really good and efficient. So if your not OC'ing, then i'd suggest leaving it as it is. It's totally safe, and will do no harm to your CPU and will not reduce the lifespan of your CPU.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The issue that I have is this "It doesn't sustain that voltage for long, or continuously." - it seems to me to stick to that 1,4v pretty tenaciously. As I mentioned even when I move my mouse it goes up there, so you can imagine unless I am totally idle it's basically running at 1.4 almost all the time. This is what worries me.

It will spike like that. It depends too on the chip. You can run coretemp, and see what the VID is for your chip, this might give you an indication if the vcore for your chip is high to begin with.

My 1600x has a VID of 1.375. So for my CPU (with a little OC), i've set the vcore to 1.3v.

If your VID is high to begin with, then maybe sitting around 1.4 in general terms is where it should be. Small movements in the mouse and starting apps has the same effect on my vcore as yours. As in, it spikes up to 1.4-1.45, and often at light loads.

As i said this is normal.

What temps are you getting at idle/load. This will be more of a concern if you were pushing high temps, rather than the expected vcore spikes from Ryzen CPU's.

With the profiles, yes having balanced power setting will reduce vcore low too.

Most folks will choose the High Power or Ryzen balanced profile. You can download the Ryzen profile if you haven't already and see if that stops the frequent spiking.

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
It will spike like that. It depends too on the chip. You can run coretemp, and see what the VID is for your chip, this might give you an indication if the vcore for your chip is high to begin with.

My 1600x has a VID of 1.375. So for my CPU (with a little OC), i've set the vcore to 1.3v.

If your VID is high to begin with, then maybe sitting around 1.4 in general terms is where it should be. Small movements in the mouse and starting apps has the same effect on my vcore as yours. As in, it spikes up to 1.4-1.45, and often at light loads.

What temps are you getting at idle/load. This will be more of a concern if you were pushing high temps, rather than the expected vcore spikes from Ryzen CPU's.

Most folks will choose the High Power or Ryzen balanced profile. You can download the Ryzen profile if you haven't already and see if that stops the frequent spiking.

hhmm... I'll have to check those vid numbers when I get home (i'm currently at work). My temps are around 40-45c on light loads like web browsing (when voltages are low like .7 - .9 on power saver in power options the temps come down to about 30-35c) and in the 70's on moderately intense loads. If I run prime95 I get around 85c. It typically sticks below 90c. I ran prime95 for about an hour (on two occasions) and when the temp hits 90 it appears that the cpu compensates somehow and the temps come down to about 85. The temps rise/fall like this throughout an intensive load like prime95 or realbench. Those temps seem reasonable to me. The voltages are around 1.3-1.35 in an intensive benchmark (100% on all cores) and all cores stick to around 4-4.1ghz. I am in a microatx case (rosewill fbm-x2) with one fan at the front and one at the back. I have room for one more fan at the front and two at the top (psu is on the bottom). I think I will probably buy those and hopefully temps will come down a bit.

Lucilius

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019

I checked coretemp and the VID value there seems to match the numbers I am seeing in HDiNFO and Ryzen Master

hhmm... I'll have to check those vid numbers when I get home (i'm currently at work). My temps are around 40-45c on light loads like web browsing (when voltages are low like .7 - .9 on power saver in power options the temps come down to about 30-35c) and in the 70's on moderately intense loads. If I run prime95 I get around 85c. It typically sticks below 90c. I ran prime95 for about an hour (on two occasions) and when the temp hits 90 it appears that the cpu compensates somehow and the temps come down to about 85. The temps rise/fall like this throughout an intensive load like prime95 or realbench. Those temps seem reasonable to me. The voltages are around 1.3-1.35 in an intensive benchmark (100% on all cores) and all cores stick to around 4-4.1ghz. I am in a microatx case (rosewill fbm-x2) with one fan at the front and one at the back. I have room for one more fan at the front and two at the top (psu is on the bottom). I think I will probably buy those and hopefully temps will come down a bit.

Yes, getting some more airflow in the mATX case would help. While the temps at load are on the high side (Ideally you want your stress temps below 80c), but considering your smaller case it could be attributable to that. The prime version to run on Ryzen is 26.6. Running small ffts. A newer version might push the temps higher because of AVX. So, all in all, I thin you are roughly where you should be. extra case fans will help. Your temps on average should be roughly 10c lower.

Solution

Latest posts