Question Ryzen 2600x XFR 2.0 question

Aug 16, 2019
It seems that XFR 2.0 automaticaly overclock the CPU. Fine, but where do i access that feature ?

i have a X470 MSI gaming plus motherboard. there's a button called '' game boost'' in the BIOS. When it's ON, CPU runs at 4.05ghz, when it's OFF, runs at 3.6 ghz.

How can i set the cores at 4.2 mhz automaticaly ?? I can manually enter the multiplier i want but i'd like it to be automatic. I tried with Ryzen Master but it seems causing conflict with settings in the BIOS. When i set Ryzen Master to AUTO, The clock of all cores keep fluctuating from 2000 to 4200 when i watch in CPU-Z. I've uninstalled Ryzen master, enabled gaming mode in BIOS, now CPU-Z reads a constant 4.05ghz on all cores. But I'd like to crank it up to 4.2.

Is there a feature i missed in the BIOS ? i want auto overclock like i get with XMP profile 2 on my memory.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would go into the BIOS and apply the Optimized Default settings and then reboot and enter the BIOS again and enable the XMP profile for your RAM.
That should enable PB for your CPU.
Also if you use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan (with the minimum processor state set between 5 and 20%) in Windows
your CPU will downclock when idle and only Boost to Max clock speeds when needed.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019
i have enabled PBO in the BIOS, it was on Auto, clock dont move , i dont get it. It's still at 3.6ghz. Will try to OC i guess...to run at 4.2, around what voltage should i set the core ? i have stock wraith spire cooler with 5 corsair hd120 fans. I always run all of them at 100%, i dont fuck around with smart Fan mode 😬

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019
i've enable Cool N quiet and PBO and it seems to be optimized now. When i monitor with CPU-Z i see all cores going from 2000mhz or so to 4250, but the BIOS displays a clock of 3.6...i don't know why. And now my GPU clock is more stable as well. I get a constant 1950mhz with more or less 20mhz in Heaven benchmark. No more peaks and lows.

i've enable Cool N quiet and PBO and it seems to be optimized now. When i monitor with CPU-Z i see all cores going from 2000mhz or so to 4250, but the BIOS displays a clock of 3.6...i don't know why. And now my GPU clock is more stable as well. I get a constant 1950mhz with more or less 20mhz in Heaven benchmark. No more peaks and lows.
The BIOS reports the Base clock (i.e. that's the frequency the CPU boots at and runs at in Legacy mode, where a fixed clock speed is required for compatibility with very old systems). Recent systems (i. e. with a real 32-bit kernel) do know when a core is busy or not; in the latter case, they can switch that core to a lower power state, and recent CPUs can then dynamically evaluate the extra cooling and power available to the "loaded" cores and, thus, push them further.

Even more recent platform drivers can "tell" the OS which CPU core performs best and then the OS can allocate tasks to this core in priority, making it clock even higher when other cores are idle - at AMD's they call it "precision boost" for that reason. PBO, or "precision boost overdrive" pretty much tell the system that it can go over power specifications as long as thermals don't impede it. In essence, automatic overclock which also takes into account what core can deal with it best. Manual overclock, on the contrary, don't allow you to fine-tune each core - that's why, while you CAN overclock a Ryzen, it's best you DON'T - the CPU "knows" better how to overclock itself.
As for CPU frequency not being at maximum while running a task, that's normal and even quite old - starting with the 386SL, any call to the NOOP instruction can be translated into a HLT CPU instruction - essentially asking the CPU to "skip" this clock cycle. This was quite dumb, but very efficient. With time, this process got much more refined, and now CPU cores can modulate their clock speed independently from the OS and most apps simply report the average speed the CPU had during a given poll.

Aug 16, 2019
oh thanks man, very clear now !

i built this rig 1 month ago and when i boot the BIOS for the first time i've enable "game boost" wich made the all cores running at 4.05ghz. I guess that the PBO is being override in that case. That's why i have better benchmark results with "game boost" OFF and PBO on.
PBO was AUTO when i had game boost ON. Since i force the value with game boost, PBO is being cancelled, right ?
sorry for my poor english. Im a french Quebeker ! 😬