Question Ryzen 2700 what kind of upgrade?

Ds9Defiant1701

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2013
Hi, i currently have a Ryzen 7 2700 with RTX 3060, ab350 pro4 motherboard, Team Group 2x8gb ddr4 3000mhz.
What i should get? Used 3700x? New mobo and new cpu? Should i keep that ram?. i like to record stuff with shadowplay usually and play games like GTA V, RDR2, Star Citizen, Mount & Blades Bannerlord.

Thanks

Hi, i currently have a Ryzen 7 2700 with RTX 3060, ab350 pro4 motherboard, Team Group 2x8gb ddr4 3000mhz.
What i should get? Used 3700x? New mobo and new cpu? Should i keep that ram?. i like to record stuff with shadowplay usually and play games like GTA V, RDR2, Star Citizen, Mount & Blades Bannerlord.

Thanks
Do you do content creation...video editing...graphics rendering/ray tracing work? If not, higher core count (8 cores and up) CPU isn't really necessary (although nice) when just gaming is the use case. A 5600, 5600X, or even 3600X, is a great choice for gaming only. Either would work well on the board you have once the BIOS is updated.

You might want to go for 3600 memory since both 3rd and 4th gen CPU's will usually take it with just setting XMP. But if you like tweaking, you could probably make your Team Group 3000 run as high as 3600 with some custom timings and raised voltage. That's for the experimenter though, so if you want a sure thing no tweaking just get some decent GSkill 3600 memory.

A used processor is risky since you've no idea just HOW it was used. DOA's aside, it's very easy to degrade a 3rd or 4th gen Ryzen and overclocking incorrectly can can do just that. Many people try to overclock them in the conventional way with fixed clocks and voltages to push performance as high as possible before upgrading. A degraded CPU may seem to work just fine but can leave you wondering why it runs at higher than normal temperature, doesn't boost to max clocks so eagerly, and PBO tuning never works out well.

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015

Thanks
Quick search on Amazon: Decent MB and not a bad CPU.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B07SXF8GY3

Ds9Defiant1701

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2013
Do you do content creation...video editing...graphics rendering/ray tracing work? If not, higher core count (8 cores and up) CPU isn't really necessary (although nice) when just gaming is the use case. A 5600, 5600X, or even 3600X, is a great choice for gaming only. Either would work well on that board once the BIOS is updated.

A used processor is risky since you've no idea just HOW it was used. DOA's aside, it's very easy to degrade a 3rd or 4th gen Ryzen and overclocking incorrectly can can do just that. Many people try to overclock them in the conventional way with fixed clocks and voltages to push performance as high as possible before upgrading. A degraded CPU may seem to work just fine but can leave you wondering why it runs at higher than normal temperature, doesn't boost to max clocks so eagerly, and PBO tuning never works out well.
Kinda recording using Shadowplay sometimes. Also my mobo stop a Ryzen 3xxx

Kinda recording using Shadowplay sometimes. Also my mobo stop a Ryzen 3xxx
That stinks big-time. I thought I'd read Asrock were among the first to provide BIOS support for Ryzen 5000 on their B350 boards. A pity they don't this one, it was one of the better mATX B350 boards (which isn't saying much, btw).

So...3600X is top gaming CPU for you. I thought people were GPU encoding now-a-days, making 8 core and up less interesting for gaming. I don't stream or record gaming action myself, can't say why.

Ds9Defiant1701

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2013
That stinks big-time. I thought I'd read Asrock were among the first to provide BIOS support for Ryzen 5000 on their B350 boards. A pity they don't this one, it was one of the better mATX B350 boards (which isn't saying much, btw).

So...3600X is top gaming CPU for you. I thought people were GPU encoding now-a-days, making 8 core and up less interesting for gaming. I don't stream or record gaming action myself, can't say why.
so if i upgrade i change motherboard or stay on a lower chipset cpu.

so if i upgrade i change motherboard or stay on a lower chipset cpu.
IF you want to move to Ryzen 5000....whether now or in the future....you have to change motherboard. Either that or HOPE Asrock relents and gives you a BIOS with Gen 4 support.

To be sure, a 3600X or 3700X are very good gaming CPU's, the question is what direction you may want to take in the future. With 5th Gen just around the corner it gets difficult since it won't be released on AM4. So do you invest in new mobo/cpu/memory right now while it's still at the top but just about ready to be obsoleted? or do the cheap (cpu only, maybe memory) that's STILL a good upgrade and save for what's coming? That's sort of a personal choice to make unless you absolutely must have the top level of performance.

One thing to consider is the economy/inflation. I'm old enough to remember inflation in the 80's: you didn't wait then. You bought something when you had the cash because tomorrow it will just cost more. The problem is you can't buy next-gen AMD products right now so you'll be buying them at inflated prices when they do come out. So like it or not comparable performance positioning will likely be a LOT more expensive when we have both Intel and AMD's next-gen products on the shelves.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $489.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-25 20:35 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M AORUS Pro AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($178.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $428.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-25 20:44 EDT-0400

The Ryzen is more versatile with full pcie support, the Intel isn't, the Ryzen is slightly stronger across the board, slightly higher fps generally, it's only real disadvantage being lack of igpu. You could save a few $$ by going 12400F and not having the igpu either. Both have some advantages and disadvantages in comparison, so depends on which better suits you personally.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vendors have a nasty habit of not updating support pages info once the next big thing comes out. So 3600 will be available.

As for AB350 Pro4 support of 5000 series cpus, the 350 chipset is selective support for Vermeer cpus, as in most other vendors do support them, ASRock does not. Officially. With ASRock, they pretty much copy-pasted bios revisions, so while a AB450 Pro4 does support Vermeers, it's basically the same bios as in the AB350 Pro4. You can generally force the AB450 Pro4 bios onto the AB350 Pro4 board.

It's not Officially sanctioned by ASRock, nor really anyone else, but has been done successfully. If that's a route you take, do so fully understanding its at your own risk as generally it's well advised to only flash bios with the exact model or run the risk of a brick.

Vendors have a nasty habit of not updating support pages info once the next big thing comes out. So 3600 will be available.

As for AB350 Pro4 support of 5000 series cpus, the 350 chipset is selective support for Vermeer cpus, as in most other vendors do support them, ASRock does not. Officially. With ASRock, they pretty much copy-pasted bios revisions, so while a AB450 Pro4 does support Vermeers, it's basically the same bios as in the AB350 Pro4. You can generally force the AB450 Pro4 bios onto the AB350 Pro4 board.

It's not Officially sanctioned by ASRock, nor really anyone else, but has been done successfully. If that's a route you take, do so fully understanding its at your own risk as generally it's well advised to only flash bios with the exact model or run the risk of a brick.
why?, bios is available for vermeer, bios P7.20 for AB 350 Pro4
https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/AM4/AB350 Pro4(7.20)ROM.zip
but he needs to flash bridge bios first P7.00
https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/AM4/AB350 Pro4(7.00)ROM.zip

1. Updated AMD AM4 AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.7
  2. Support Renoir, Vermeer, and Cezanne CPU
  3. Removed Bristol Ridge(AMD A-series/Athlon X4 series) CPU support.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bah, stupid ASR, everyone else puts beta's on Top of the list, not on the Bottom. Would have been Far more intelligent to put the 7.0/7.2 above the 6.x's as the rest go on ascending order. I swear that company just gets dumber by the month.

Basically all ASR did was change an ab450 bios to ab350 and add the Agesa, so it doesn't need forcing now, which is why they are beta's still.