Question Ryzen 2700x 60C Idle temps

Subwuf

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
(Note my build is 8 months old)

For the past few days programs I am using (Chrome, Discord, games, etc) will stop responding for a few seconds at a time, this happened somewhat randomly but frequent enough to cause annoyance.

My CPU idle temps used to be fairly low like around 40c. I don't check my temps as frequent as I should. Currently in bios my CPU idles at 40-45C and in windows with Ryzen Master it fluctuates from 50-65C and under load it his 75C

I tried changing power plan, unplugging extra monitors, unplugged VR headset from USB, Virus scan, and my CPU fan is sitting fine.. My main problem is programs I use stop responding and the only thing I could think of is CPU overheating.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ryzen 2700x (Prism cooler)
Corsair 16gb 3200mhz
Geforce GTX 1080
Asus Crosshair VI Hero

Last edited:

Subwuf

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
HX750
I doubt it's temps. It's either psu related possible, or more likely you just had a windows update and it's playing havoc with your drivers. Check in startup-admin-event viewer and see if there's any critical errors or errors reported as to cause of stoppages.
My Power supply is from my old build so it's about 6 years old. I have been checking event viewer while the freezes happen and doesn't seem to catch any errors. Should I just buy a new PSU? Figured they would last longer than 6 years.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens should be on Balanced power plan in Windows. The cpu responds to needs as far as how much power it uses and unlike Intel which keeps all cores active, Ryzen shuts down unused cores at idle. Balanced will allow this to happen, Performance won't, it'll keep the cpu at a heightened state, so no idle and quite high temps.

Because Ryzen shuts down unused cores, it leaves windows and background processes at idle on just 1 core, so that core sees a higher level of load than a typical Intel cpu which spreads the load around all the cores. So 40's-50's is absolutely normal for Ryzen idle. 75 isn't all that bad for a decent load either.

That HX was a very good psu, as said (thanks DL), and even at 6 years shouldn't be an issue, but there's no guarantee on that either. My Evga G2 is approaching 7 years now, and still not a squeak and it runs 24/7. 🤞

Windows did update (Dec 10), in fact I allowed mine just yesterday (win Pro 😁), and there has been a rash of errors that could be attributed to it. Build 1903 has been somewhat known for this. So before spending money (can if you want to, 6 yr old psu, can't blame you for that lol) might want to check the mobo website for a new bios release and any new chipset drivers, such as Lan, audio etc as those can conflict with windows drivers and cause anything from freezes to CTD (crash to desktop) to bsod.

While doin that, I'd also clean the pc, inside and out. That means not only giving it a good dusting, but also run your AV and malware checks (they aren't the same thing), run ccleaner (piriform.com) to get rid of temp/junk files, run ccleaner-registry tool (default settings, say Yes! to backup) to get rid of orphans and other deleted file/program addresses etc.

With a clean, current and healthy pc, any issues that pop up stand a greater chance of being attributed to something more definitive, and less of multiple choice.