Ryzen 2700x overheating

andre.es99

Proper
May 20, 2018
I got a ryzen 2700x (not more than a week old).

The idle temps are ok about 40-50 degrees. When I play for example fortnite the cpu easily hit 80 degrees... I use the stock cooler amd wraith prism.. With the pre applied thermal paste..

What can I do?
Havent changed anything in bios

try increase airflow in your case by adding or turning up case fans to see if that will help alleviate the issue. your idle temps seem high I would also check CPU cooler installation before anything else. you shouldn't be having temps that high at idle. also what program are you using to check temps? AMD overdrive is what you should be using for accurate readings.

andre.es99

Proper
May 20, 2018
When I installed AMD overdrive I cant go into the pc. Instantly bluescreen.. Are reinstalling now to be able to boot...

My cpu voltage was around 1,4 as default + - changing all the time.. isnt this a little high??

I have also chaged memory frequency to 3200 mhz as my ram are 3200 mhz but was set way lower in bios.

andre.es99

Proper
May 20, 2018
Oh? Am I able to turn on this button when it mounted? Didnt know about this button..

I also tried turning on turbo in bios, but it didnt affect the temp. Will try to find the button when I come home from work!
:)

andre.es99

Proper
May 20, 2018
Thanks for the help!

I am also wondering if I should change cpu settings in bios, as I have som strange volt, changing ghz and the overheat..

I am newbie to this stuff, would be great with some settings I could use.

Ryzen 2700x
Asus rognstrix 470-f
Corsair vengance 2x8gb 3200mhz

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
You could try an overclock of say, 4.0ghz, then set the voltage to around 1.35'ish, and benchmark to check stability, then adjust down until you start to crash. I've seen some golden samples of this chip running 4.1+ at 1.325v or lower. Mine personally won't run at a voltage that low however, but it'll overclock to the moon if I keep throwing voltage at it, so it's a mixed blessing.

If you can get the voltage down, it should help with temps, but not radically, especially with that cooler.

andre.es99

Proper
May 20, 2018
I dont got thermal paste, so I dont want to remove it.
I turned the cpu fan speed at max in bios, and my cpu dont go over 55 degrees or something.

The cpu are currently at 2,8ghz with 2,2125 volts. Should i boost it?

2.2 volts? That is incorrect? I mean, it has to be...

My 2700X, under a Noctua NH-D15, goes up to 4.3ghz topping at ~1.52v and I haven't checked the temps, but the air blowing out of the case is at best warm during gaming sessions.

I would suggest, if you have the means to, change the bundled paste of the Wraith to something better. Artic MX-4 or Artic Silver 5 are good choices and not expensive (for what they offer) and will serve you for 2-3 years no problem (per application). Additionally, make sure the inside of the case allows for a clear path to the Wraith air intake, so if uses fresh air to cool the CPU and you have extractors. For better or for worse, the Wraith is a "push to MoBo" design, so it doesn't really move the air out of the case, so if you don't have a good flow inside, the hot air won't help the Wraith do it's job properly.

Cheers!

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Yea, 2.2 volts doesn't sound right at all. It really shouldn't top 1.5 realistically, at least according to AMD. If it IS that high, then that's your temp issue right there in a nutshell. More voltage, more heat. Make sure the cpu core voltage is set to something under 1.5, or at least Auto, and check temps then.