[SOLVED] Ryzen 3 3300x or Intel i5 9400f

May 9, 2020
Which CPU should I pick to pair with my gtx 1650 super? Should I wait for the Ryzen 3 3300x or get the Intel i5 9400f? getting a new CPU since its bottlenecking my gtx 1650 super. btw the intel 9400f is $50 more than the 3300x in my country.

Solution
Either of those CPUs is more than enough for the 1650 Super. Choose whichever one results in a less expensive build overall including the motherboard and memory you'll need to accompany each choice. Considering the entry level nature of the graphics card, you can't really go wrong with either of them. Honestly, unless you plan to use the integrated graphics in the APU, there's not a lot of wisdom in waiting for the 3300x when the 9400f is more than enough for that GPU.

If you don't NEED to pull the trigger RIGHT now, then the 3300x might have some benefits over the 9400f, especially if you are desiring to overclock, but that too will demand the addition of some extra cost and hardware.

If you need to build now, and not "sometime"...
Either of those CPUs is more than enough for the 1650 Super. Choose whichever one results in a less expensive build overall including the motherboard and memory you'll need to accompany each choice. Considering the entry level nature of the graphics card, you can't really go wrong with either of them. Honestly, unless you plan to use the integrated graphics in the APU, there's not a lot of wisdom in waiting for the 3300x when the 9400f is more than enough for that GPU.

If you don't NEED to pull the trigger RIGHT now, then the 3300x might have some benefits over the 9400f, especially if you are desiring to overclock, but that too will demand the addition of some extra cost and hardware.

If you need to build now, and not "sometime" after May 21st, considering that supply of EVERYTHING in the world right now is poor and supply chains are semi-broken, then that probably isn't the greatest option.

Last edited:
Solution
How much do you want to/can afford to, spend on a motherboard? Your idea of "budget" might not be my idea of "budget" which might not be the next guy's idea of budget.

Also, being in Canada might affect things as well since pricing is somewhat erratic there, and also generally higher than in the US for most things.

Are you planning to overclock? Do you require that the board have support for PCIe 4.0 because you plan to later add a CPU or devices that require PCIe 4.0 to see their full potential? Or do you just want a basic motherboard that isn't too crappy and will work for NOW, with no thought to the future?

The 3300X has stunning gaming performance for 4c/8t....for stuff that is out now.

Will it be as impressive on Battlefield 6?

Maybe...but, I'd consider trying hard to save the extra $80 for a 3600, as 12 threads are bound to to 'last longer' than 8 , in a sense of providing adequate minimum frame rates for as of yet unreleased games...

I agree. If you can in any way afford it, the 3600 is the much better option. There are definitely games that will use those extra cores and threads advantageously. Especially if you plan to do any recording or streaming while gaming. If you plan to purely game, only, then the 3300x will probably show performance drops on a lot fewer titles. The other side of it is that the preliminary results show that a determined overclocker might be able to pull some serious extra performance out of one of these with a good board and cooling, but then again we've seen the 4/8 Intel i7's suck pretty badly in some titles so I guess it really depends on your expectations and what games you intend to mainly play.

For the motherboard, it's very hard to beat the Tomahawk and the Tomahawk max, which have been sold out recently but are worth waiting for them to come back into stock. Considering these boards can adequately handle CPUs all the way up to the 3950x, I don't see any other motherboard for less than 120 bucks that can match them. I think that is your best choice and either of them will work because the non-MAX Tomahawk has BIOS flashback so the BIOS can be flashed to a version that will support the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs even without an older CPU installed.