Question ryzen 3000 series bios update

Cvint

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
wondering if i can update bios without a cpu with the asus prime b50m A/CSM or a gigabyte DS3H or the 450 AORUS M

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Neither of those boards support it, AFAIK,
Very few boards for AM4 support BIOS updates without a compatible CPU, and the ones that do are limited to the very upper end of product stacks.

Retailers might be able to help you with a BIOS update though, and AMD might still be offering their boot kits, not sure.

Cvint

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
i guess ill get the gaming plus then thanks alot for you quick responce i ask about the vdh on the msi fourm but they said not likly ne idea if the bazooka v2 would? prob the same eh? the only thing about the gaming plus is that it only has 2 slots for ram...

Edit: this is the bazooka i was looking at does say much not even use if its the plus model: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...p-motherboard-amd-chipset-socket-am4/13473565

that should be ok?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure with MSI you need "Flashback+", not just the "flash BIOS" button, which is just a physical button representation of M-Flash. AFAIK, the base "flash BIOS" still needs a compatible CPU.
From the B450 Gaming Plus product page:
"Flash BIOS Button: Simply use a USB key to flash any BIOS within seconds, without installing a CPU, memory or graphics card."

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
ya i do need the matx the two ram slots are fine was just thinking about the future
Fair enough, but something to consider is that RAM purchased separately is not guaranteed to work together (even if you buy the exact same model). So if you want to add more in the future, it may not be as easy as just throwing in a couple more sticks. If you can, it's often recommended to buy however much RAM you think you'll need up front.

Cvint

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
Fair enough, but something to consider is that RAM purchased separately is not guaranteed to work together (even if you buy the exact same model). So if you want to add more in the future, it may not be as easy as just throwing in a couple more sticks. If you can, it's often recommended to buy however much RAM you think you'll need up front.

Thanks for the advice well see what the total costs are and ill figure out if ill add more ram or not i figure 8gigs are good for now

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, must have changed the naming scheme then. I'm sure there used to be a distinction between the basic button and the one denoted with a "+"
Could very well be, or you may be thinking of a different manufacturer that has a similar name for the feature that has a "+". E.g. Gigabyte's regular flashing utility is Q-flash, but you need Q-flash + for it to work without a CPU.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the advice well see what the total costs are and ill figure out if ill add more ram or not i figure 8gigs are good for now
If it all possible I'd try to get 16GB. If not, maybe it would be a better idea to get a mobo with 4 slots after all, as you'd almost certainly reach a point where 8GB is holding you back within the useful life of the CPU and motherboard (if that point hasn't been reached already). Assuming you're going to be gaming on this PC.

Cvint

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
If it all possible I'd try to get 16GB. If not, maybe it would be a better idea to get a mobo with 4 slots after all, as you'd almost certainly reach a point where 8GB is holding you back within the useful life of the CPU and motherboard (if that point hasn't been reached already). Assuming you're going to be gaming on this PC.

My gut instinct was 16 but then i read on pc gamer a rule of thumb was to have half the gpu as ram the gpu i was looking at was 4gb not paying a fortue for a gpu.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure with MSI you need "Flashback+", not just the "flash BIOS" button, which is just a physical button representation of M-Flash. AFAIK, the base "flash BIOS" still needs a compatible CPU.
I have a B450M Mortar...

While I can't say about Flashback+ vs just the "flash BIOS" button I can confirm it does NOT need a CPU to function. All that's required is a 24 pin connection to an (operating) PSU and a USB stick in the correct USB port with correctly named BIN file in the root. Then push button and it flashes.

no cpu
no memory
no gpu

I'm pretty sure all of MSI's AM4 offerings with the feature operate the same way, but checking your manual will clarify.

Other mfr's boards YMMV, obviously.

Cvint

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
I have a B450M Mortar...

While I can't say about Flashback+ vs just the "flash BIOS" button I can confirm it does NOT need a CPU to function. All that's required is a 24 pin connection to an (operating) PSU and a USB stick in the correct USB port with correctly named BIN file in the root. Then push button and it flashes.

no cpu
no memory
no gpu

I'm pretty sure all of MSI's AM4 offerings with the feature operate the same way, but checking your manual will clarify.

Prettt sure its only the boards with the flashback button on the io. I cud be wrong.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I have a B450M Mortar...

no cpu
no memory
no gpu

when it's done flashing can you know without having a monitor hooked up? ort I'd need a monitor to do all of this? My current monitor is 13 years old believe it or not and if I barely even bump into the power cord it makes some noise, sort of like sizzling. lol. And I can't decide on a replacement monitor yet.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
when it's done flashing can you know without having a monitor hooked up? ort I'd need a monitor to do all of this? My current monitor is 13 years old believe it or not and if I barely even bump into the power cord it makes some noise, sort of like sizzling. lol. And I can't decide on a replacement monitor yet.
If you look in the manual it tells you that an LED will be flashing as it's programming, and then will go off when it's done. I doubt you'd get any display during the process.

Reactions: drea.drechsler