Question Ryzen 3300X and GTX 960 Combo Good?

May 17, 2020
Hi everyone, first time poster and builder here, quick question about Ryzen CPUs and compatibility:

I recently ordered a Ryzen 3 3300X based on a friend's rec; another friend has a gently-used Nvidia GTX 960. Would this CPU/GPU combo be functional? And would either part bottleneck the other? I'm completely new to computers and am not sure how to properly match components.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread or forum; if there's a problem let me know and I can repost somewhere more appropriate. Thank you!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A 3300X can pair with far better cards easily so yes depending on the title and settings your playing you would see a bottleneck with a 960 GTX. For budget systems, you have to go with what you can afford which is why I suppose you're targeting a 3300X/ Used GPU in the first place. ;)

Reactions: 400cats
May 17, 2020
The GTX 960 will be by far the limiting factor at any/all resolutions....

The 3300X is an outstanding budget processor, coming strikingly and VERY surprisingly close to the gaming performance of the R5-3600!

Thank you for the reply mdd1963! I was really impressed with the reviews I read of the 3300xx as well, and its good to know it can handle a stronger graphics card if I upgrade in the future. Right now I'm mostly concerned about improving performance vs graphics, so I don't mind if there's a bit of a power mismatch - just wanted to make sure there wasn't a major incompatibility between the two.

May 17, 2020
A 3300X can pair with far better cards easily so yes depending on the title and settings your playing you would see a bottleneck with a 960 GTX. For budget systems, you have to go with what you can afford which is why I suppose you're targeting a 3300X/ Used GPU in the first place.

Thank you for the reply delaro! I was initially going to be thriftier and get a budget CPU with integrated graphics, but the 3300x seemed really strong according to reviews and recommendations, enough that I decided to spring for it when the used GTX 960 option came up.