Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
hi im a ryzen 3300x user here. my spec are

ryzen 3300x (stock cooler)
b450 tomahawk max
2x8 team delta 3000mhz
case phantek p300 2 front intake 1 top out 1 back out
rtx 2060 zotac amp

after 1 year + of use. mostly for gaming like valorant and dota2, suddenly yesterday my cpu fan start to run at high rpm even at the start of booting. then i check it with ryzen master i get about 55-59 celcius on desktop idle.
i never OC, its run on default since i buy.

what should i do to fix this? on normal day it run only at 40-46 celcius on idle. and the fan are not this loud.

Solution

b450 tomahawk max
2x8 team delta 3000mhz
rtx 2060 zotac amp

after 1 year + of use. mostly for gaming like valorant and dota2, suddenly yesterday my cpu fan start to run at high rpm even at the start of booting. then i check it with ryzen master i get about 55-59 celcius on desktop idle.

what should i do to fix this? on normal day it run only at 40-46 celcius on idle. and the fan are not this loud.
Have you ever made a custom fan profile? You might try to do that to keep the fan at a lower or at least steady speed.

Even 55-59 isn't a bad temperature for a 3rd...

b450 tomahawk max
2x8 team delta 3000mhz
rtx 2060 zotac amp

want a better cooling performance? buy aftermarket cooler, like cm 212 evo, or gammaxx 400s for the budget options.

b450 tomahawk max
2x8 team delta 3000mhz
rtx 2060 zotac amp

Have you ever made a custom fan profile? You might try to do that to keep the fan at a lower or at least steady speed.

Even 55-59 isn't a bad temperature for a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU, I'd expect temps 65-70 under really heavy workloads as OK. Tjmax is around 95C, it's way below that so it's certainly perfectly safe. A better cooler might not do much better but at least it would be quieter while doing it.

Solution

Artifact00

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
thank you for all the response. i do might try to change the thermal paste and also change the stock cooler.

yes under heavy load like playing dota 2 the cpu are at 70c. i havent try custom fan profile, where do i made it? BIOS? can i have an example of a good custom fan profile?

thank you for all the response. i do might try to change the thermal paste and also change the stock cooler.

yes under heavy load like playing dota 2 the cpu are at 70c. i havent try custom fan profile, where do i made it? BIOS? can i have an example of a good custom fan profile?
Yes, you make custom fan profiles in BIOS.

The thing to keep in mind about Ryzen CPU's is they boost very frequently and often spike temperature briefly when they do. The temp spikes aren't thermally significant and can not be cooled by any cooler so your profile should try to ignore them. A decent profile I've used for Ryzen CPU fans is to set a high fixed base speed up to around 70C, using a fan speed that's just barely below the point it's annoying. Then a step increase to something that may be annoying but not too loud and then increase it from there. Only let it get really annoying above 85C or so.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Ryzen CPU's, like most all modern CPU's, are designed to run seemingly hot. Up around 90-95C, it's Tjmax spec. That's because they use hot-spot sensors which are closer to the action on the die so they report much higher temperatures than the edge sensors of old.

Changing thermal paste is not likely to do anything and really not worth risking the damage to hardware that can happen. It's an especially bad idea if you're already planning on a new heatsink/fan since you'll be changing it then anyway.

And do not ignore the case fans: they should be a fixed, steady speed too. Any CPU air cooler needs good case ventilation or it just winds up using the hot GPU exhaust to heat up the CPU.

Last edited: