Question Ryzen 3500U only run at 1400MHz?

Taigama

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello everyone.
My laptop has some problem.
  • Context
The laptop is Ryzen 5 3500U but it plays League of Legends laggy, instead of smoothy gameplay just like the Youtube's videos.
When the game is just started, it's rocketed to 120fps, but reduced to ~50fps during gameplay, and ~30fps in combats. In the working, it is far surpassed by the i7 8550U of my friend.
When I build an Android app (for testing), the build duration of the i7 is ~1p30s, compared to my r5 is ~2p20s.
lol_stat-png.8515

Tested League of Legends in various settings. The CPU love to run at 1400MHz
lol_highest_aff-jpg.8516

Running the game at the highest setting. Turn off 4 cores (actually 2, I think), specify the cpu core be used for the game. Not useful.
lol_low-jpg.8517

Turn on all the cores. Low setting.
lol_lowest-jpg.8518

Lowest setting.

• My laptop's specs:
Asus Vivobook 15 X512DA A512DA
R5 3500U
Ram 8GB (6GB)
SSD 500GB
  • My friend's laptop's specs:
HP Elite book (logo Spectre)
i7 8550U
Ram 16GB
SSD 500GB
  • Testing and problems:
Nearly all the time, the cpu (Ryzen) only run at 1400MHz, instead of 2100MHz like the stock (?!). I rarely be boosted into 3700MHz or 3200MHz.
I done installed various of bios versions (now is 305), various of driver versions (from the 19.9.2), no diffference.
If I use the benchmark tools or the testing tools, the cpu seem used all of it power, but in working it stayed at 1400MHz.
I do changed the cores setting in the msconfig, changed power options setting, no difference.
build_android-png.8519

When I build an android app, the temp of the i7 be changed alot. In otherhand, the r5 seem had not much difference.

cinebenchr15-png.8520
Cinebench r15 64bit, used all of the cpu power.
  • My wish
How to make this r5 3500U run more than 1400MHz? In the Youtube's I see it do good.

• Extension:
The laptop info: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-15-X512DA/
Someone has the problem look like me, but I'd done the thing like him, not helpful: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-vega-8-only-using-20-during-gaming.3524476/

Video this laptop was playing recently games(good)

Video this cpu played the game well
  • Thank you for reading!

Lutfij

Titan
With all that said, where did you source your installation for Windows 10(did it come bundled with the laptop?) and which version of the OS are you on?

For your friend's laptop, does it have a discrete GPU? You didn't exactly parse the SKU to his EliteBook like you did for your Asus. Lastly, I wouldn't believe everything shown on YouTube.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
I've a really old laptop which is an old i5 3320m it was fine until i switch from 7 to win 10 ...it started themal throttling.. From 3.3ghz turbo to 1.20ghz and only solution to that is an app named throttlestop from tecpowerup which likely fixes that issue.. Your problem maybe different depending on your laptop and other conditions... I hope it will solve the problem

Taigama

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
With all that said, where did you source your installation for Windows 10(did it come bundled with the laptop?) and which version of the OS are you on?
The Windows are preinstalled with username are Asus/HP. They are both 1809, then I upgraded both to 1903.
The HP laptop is Intel Graphics, no other. Trust me, even an i5 4200U with an Intel HD graphics can plays the game well.
I've a really old laptop which is an old i5 3320m it was fine until i switch from 7 to win 10 ...it started themal throttling.. From 3.3ghz turbo to 1.20ghz and only solution to that is an app named throttlestop from tecpowerup which likely fixes that issue.. Your problem maybe different depending on your laptop and other conditions... I hope it will solve the problem
Thank you for you help. My Ryzen face no temperatures problem. It just reach the maximum of 63. Hope that is problem of driver or Windows and can be fixed soon.

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
The Windows are preinstalled with username are Asus/HP. They are both 1809, then I upgraded both to 1903.
The HP laptop is Intel Graphics, no other. Trust me, even an i5 4200U with an Intel HD graphics can plays the game well.

Thank you for you help. My Ryzen face no temperatures problem. It just reach the maximum of 63. Hope that is problem of driver or Windows and can be fixed soon.
Nor my i5 have any temp issues... It just throttles... I suggest you give ThrottleStop a try.. It may fix this lower frequency issue.

Taigama

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Then try changing battery options to high performance
I had already done that. After that, I turned max anything in the advanced power options, no help. :<
I found that the cpu is only react it maximum performance (per core) if I give it tasks that stress on all cores.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
Hey, did you find the decision? My laptop too dropping frequences to 1400mhz. I'd try Ryzen Test, Ryzen Controller, BIOS and drivers update, battery options but nothing can help(((

TRENDING THREADS