[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 High Temperatures, Best Idea to Cool?

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
To my knowledge, when on idle, a desktop should run around 30c , give or take.

My CPU runs at 45 to 50c most of the time, just on idle. 65c or so when I'm simply web browsing on Chrome with 4-5 tabs, and downloading some stuff in the background. (New PC, google drive is downloading backup in the background, still seems a little high)

I opened up Ryzen Master, it looked like it was set to overclock out of the box. So I went to a profile and put on default mode, it helped but not by much at all. And when I exit Ryzen Master it almost looks like it forgets those settings completely.

I'm barely doing anything and temperatures, even with only 5 or 10% CPU usage are around 70c, and I'm barely doing anything.

I have a stock cooler. I'm looking for something that will work with my computer, but I'm looking for an air cooler. I realize water coolers work better, but I'm hoping to find an air cooler solution that will improve the temperatures.

Any ideas on any software or hardware modifications I should make?

Last edited:
Solution
This is totally normal for a Ryzen CPU. Get a good air cooler and you will see ~10C difference. The spiking temp to 60-65C will not go away.

With the good air cooler fan curve you set it to be quiet when the CPU temperature isn't going over the spiking temperature. So like that your fan doesn't sound like a jet engine when just browsing and only get aggressive in games etc.
I feel a little uncomfortable idling at 50c. Especially when my Dell idled around 30 to 40c.

I'm on the balanced plan, it just seems a bit high.

Anything I can do? Any simple easy upgrades I can do?

Here's my PC if you want to do any research into cooling options

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...b-hdd-256gb-ssd-black/6402513.p?skuId=6402513
Best idea ? Aftermarket cooler but temperatures also depend on other factors like case cooling, CPU voltage and room temperature. Lowering performance is not the best way.

This is totally normal for a Ryzen CPU. Get a good air cooler and you will see ~10C difference. The spiking temp to 60-65C will not go away.

With the good air cooler fan curve you set it to be quiet when the CPU temperature isn't going over the spiking temperature. So like that your fan doesn't sound like a jet engine when just browsing and only get aggressive in games etc.

Solution

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
So anyone know of a good air cooler? For a reasonable price? I'm assuming it will be compatible with my computer and that these are pretty universal.

I'm really ignorant but I'm not wanting one that uses a large amount of power. a pre build and don't want to over load it

So anyone know of a good air cooler? For a reasonable price? I'm assuming it will be compatible with my computer and that these are pretty universal.

I'm really ignorant but I'm not wanting one that uses a large amount of power. a pre build and don't want to over load it

Air Cooler doesn't take power. Only the fan on it and it's 1-2 fan that plugs in the CPU_FAN header and CPU_OPT or both on the CPU_FAN with a splitter cable.

What is your budget for that air cooler?

I cannot find the cooler max height on your case.

Last edited:

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Air Cooler doesn't take power. Only the fan on it and it's 1-2 fan that plugs in the CPU_FAN header and CPU_OPT or both on the CPU_FAN with a splitter cable.

What is your budget for that air cooler?

I cannot find the cooler max height on your case.

I'd like to spend $50 or less. If it can improve on the stock cooler that's fine. Just hoping to improve idle temperatures and I'm just not wanting a water cooler.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I'd like to spend $50 or less. If it can improve on the stock cooler that's fine. Just hoping to improve idle temperatures and I'm just not wanting a water cooler.
Check your case clearance, or manually measure it yourself if you have to.

Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo would be a good option, but it requires at least 160mm of CPU cooler clearance since the cooler is 157mm in height.