Jun 12, 2019
My PC:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler and stock thermal pad
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 CL16@ 3200mhz
MOBO: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
GPU: ASUS Dual GEFORCE GTX 1070 8GB OC
PSU: Corsair RM850x V1 (overkill I know but it was from a previous system)
Chassis: Tecware alpha M (Fans: 3 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 back exhaust) all fans full speed except cpu fan cooler.

Ambient temps is around 29c to 33c here in Malaysia.

Using Ryzen Master to check all of my temps and settings are default or auto, idle is around 43c - 47c.
Under Load:
Gaming it will reach 89c max temp (PBO enabled by deafult in bios),
Running CinebenchR20 88c max temp, score 3578 with PBO enabled by deafult in bios.
Weirdly running CinebenchR20 with PBO disabled max temp was 92c but tiny bit higher score 3600.
Using Ryzen Master to lock it to 3.6ghz 1.2v stock speeds, max temp was 80c but score was 3405.

So what should I do? Because I don't think my temps are good for the long run, looking to bring it down around the 70s. Should I get an aftermarket cooler or am I stuck with locked stock speeds with the stock cooler if I want lower temps? If I'm stuck with locked stock speeds for lower temps is it a massive difference?

Solution
A remount of the cooler & reapply of thermal paste wouldn't hurt, just to rule it in/out.

Those definitely are a little on the warm side, but you can see ~80'C on a 3600, depending on the case - and a more 'typical' ambient ~22-23'C. Given you're 7-10'C higher, high 80s/low 90s isn't surprising.

However, given the 'max' temps for a 3600, as per AMD is 95'C, you should really be looking to bring that down if you can.

You could increase the speed of your intake fans, although I'd assume they're ramping up pretty high already.

Perhaps a better option would be a (relatively) cheap aftermarket cooler? Cryorig H5, Scythe Mugen 5, NH-U12S, or even a Hyper 212 EVO, depending on regional availability.

They should all run at least...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A remount of the cooler & reapply of thermal paste wouldn't hurt, just to rule it in/out.

Those definitely are a little on the warm side, but you can see ~80'C on a 3600, depending on the case - and a more 'typical' ambient ~22-23'C. Given you're 7-10'C higher, high 80s/low 90s isn't surprising.

However, given the 'max' temps for a 3600, as per AMD is 95'C, you should really be looking to bring that down if you can.

You could increase the speed of your intake fans, although I'd assume they're ramping up pretty high already.

Perhaps a better option would be a (relatively) cheap aftermarket cooler? Cryorig H5, Scythe Mugen 5, NH-U12S, or even a Hyper 212 EVO, depending on regional availability.

They should all run at least 10'C better than the stock cooler, and quieter too.

Not a 'free' solution, unfortunately - but given your high ambient temps, the stock cooler wasn't really designed with such an environment in mind.

Solution
Feb 2, 2020
I see nothing wrong with this.
I run a 3600 on a stock cooler.

At 100% fan, in a 21 C environment
I hit 91c during Prime 95 - Small FFTs.
So your Cinebench numbers make sense

I idle at 40 - 45c ... <-- 20% fan
Browse at 50 - 55c ... <-- 20% fan
Game at 65 - 75c ... <-- 45% fan

Using this same ratio, when considering you're 10c higher ambient ..
Your idle is 55c
Your browsing is 65c
Your gaming is 75c
And your heavy load is 85 - 90c

Meaning your temps are perfectly normal for the stock cooler, in a 32 C environment.

I recommend getting a 240mm AIO, if concerned.

Also:
Don't mess with Ryzen master and locked voltages.
Set a maximum temperature threshold in your bios for 75c - 80c
It will automatically dial the boost clock and volts back, only at max temp.
Leaving your PC to reach max boost, when not running hot.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019

They should all run at least 10'C better than the stock cooler, and quieter too.

Not a 'free' solution, unfortunately - but given your high ambient temps, the stock cooler wasn't really designed with such an environment in mind.
So this are the coolers I've gathered and this are their prices converted to USD. Just wanna know which coolers are worth the jump in price especially like from a Hyper 212 or Gammaxx 400 to the Scythe Mugen 5 rev b which is twice the price. Basically which coolers are the best bang for buck as I do not want to overspend just to keep temps down and have good performance.

Cryorig H5 Ultimate - $67.50
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B - $47
NH-U12S - $76
Hyper 212 Evo - $21

Other coolers I've found recommended:

Cryorig H7- $48
Gammaxx 400 - $22
Gammaxx GTE RGB - $25
Arctic Freezer 33 - $33
Arctic Freezer 34 Duo - $65
Scythe Fuma B - $53
Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition - $39

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I see nothing wrong with this.
I run a 3600 on a stock cooler.

At 100% fan, in a 21 C environment
I hit 91c during Prime 95 - Small FFTs.
So your Cinebench numbers make sense

Meaning your temps are perfectly normal for the stock cooler, in a 32 C environment.

I don't think there's much of a claim that anything is wrong here..... but ~90'C, when gaming (not Prime95 etc) or Cinebench (a relatively short test) is far from ideal. The max temp, as per AMD is 95'C..... which the OP is going to exceed if running something like Prime95.

So this are the coolers I've gathered and this are their prices converted to USD. Just wanna know which coolers are worth the jump in price especially like from a Hyper 212 or Gammaxx 400 to the Scythe Mugen 5 rev b which is twice the price. Basically which coolers are the best bang for buck as I do not want to overspend just to keep temps down and have good performance.

For the prices you're seeing, the basic 212 EVO is probably where I'd lean from a strictly 'value' standpoint. It's far from the best cooler in the world, but it should shave off ~10'C in comparable temperatures.

Of the next tier up, the Scythe Mugen 5 is an impressive cooler for being a single 120mm fan. Of the considerations, that's probably the one I'd go for personally, assuming it's within budget.

Reactions: dylanhoo

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020

Cryorig H5 Ultimate - $67.50
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B - $47
NH-U12S - $76
Hyper 212 Evo - $21

Other coolers I've found recommended:

Cryorig H7- $48
Gammaxx 400 - $22
Gammaxx GTE RGB - $25
Arctic Freezer 33 - $33
Arctic Freezer 34 Duo - $65
Scythe Fuma B - $53
Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition - $39
Before any of that. Have you updated your BIOS?
I'd recommend you to install the 3600 drivers from Amd, and then update your mobo BIOS.
I have a 3600x, before the update it was reaching 95 °C in Cinebench R20 with 3.91 GHz all cores (3470 pts drawing 80.7 W), after the bios update 3483 pts, 4.05 GHz with 75 °C, 60.8 W.

Jun 12, 2019
Before any of that. Have you updated your BIOS?
I'd recommend you to install the 3600 drivers from Amd, and then update your mobo BIOS.
I have a 3600x, before the update it was reaching 95 °C in Cinebench R20 with 3.91 GHz all cores (3470 pts drawing 80.7 W), after the bios update 3483 pts, 4.05 GHz with 75 °C, 60.8 W.

Yeap, updated my bios to 2.9 from asrock and downloaded and installed the chipset drivers from AMD

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Before, but I could try it again tho
I'm sorry it didn't work.
But check if your processor is consuming more than 70 W (look with Ryzen master or HWiNFO64), if it is doing that, maybe a future bios will resolve the problem, for my mobo it just came out in the end of the past year. If it consuming less than the 70 W, than is something with the cooler / thermal paste.