Question Ryzen 3600 Idle Temp and Core speed Jumping up and down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2019
Hi,
I recently build my new PC with Ryzen 3600 and Gigabyte X570 Gaming motherboard.

The issue is at idle it has a temp of around 50C and the clock speeds are constantly jumping up and down, even though there is no load on the CPU. I installed the latest drivers and still the same issues. I have no monitoring software running besides CPU-Z. CPU fan also constantly speeds up and slows down at idle.

Also my ram speed reads at 2400mhz, even though it should be 3200mhz. I don't know if that is related. Thanks

Core frequency jumping up and down is caused by OS running various processes in the background. Although you normally see whole processor changing frequency, it's usually only one or 2 cores doing it. You might want to set AMD Ryzen power plan minimum CPU speed to 5% . CPU-Z will always show more oscillations than windows because of shorted polling time. This far all is normal.
As for RAM speed, see if you can set proper XMP profile to 3200.

Jul 19, 2019
Thanks for the answer. So it is normal for the CPU to jump even to above 4.1Ghz even when sitting at the desktop. Also where do I se the minimum power plan CPU speeds exactly ?

Jul 19, 2019
I did set the CPU speed in the Ryzen Balance. However, it did not fix it. The CPU fan still jumps up and down every few seconds and the Core speed is jumping from 2.9 to 4.2 at the desktop.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I did set the CPU speed in the Ryzen Balance. However, it did not fix it. The CPU fan still jumps up and down every few seconds and the Core speed is jumping from 2.9 to 4.2 at the desktop.
My OC'd 2600 does the same thing which is normal behavior but mine idles at 29-30C and goes from 1.55 GHz to 4 GHz on a few cores at idle.
Hopefully once they get the bugs worked out of the BIOS for the 3xxx CPUs your will be able to idle at lower temperatures too.
And the same goes for your RAM speed, most people using a 3xxx CPU have found that they can't get their RAM to run at full speed but after a few BIOS updates the motherboard manufacturers should be able to fix that issue.

Reactions: allinhandss

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I doubt the thermal paste will make any difference, but you should check and make sure your CPU cooler is tight on the CPU.
If the cooler can't wiggle/slide around on the CPU then it is fine.

I use a custom profile for my fans in an app called Argus Monitor so my fans do NOT ramp up and down.
They only ramp up when my temperatures rise on the sensor I have them associated with.
The only fans linked to my CPU are the CPU cooler fans and I have them set to stay at 30% until my CPU gets above 50C and then they increase as temp increases and go to 100% at 65C.
You might want to go into your BIOS and see if you can set custom fan profiles to keep them from ramping up and down as much.

Reactions: allinhandss
Jul 19, 2019
The issue is that I am idling at 50C and I go to around 70C under small CPU load. So I am worried if I set them manually the temp might go too high. (btw I fixed the RAM speeds)

Jul 19, 2019
Ok, I will run some test later under load and at idle to see how it goes. Also If I install an aftermarket CPU cooler can I install it on the stock brackets. Meaning so I don't have to pull the whole motherboard out of the case ? Thanks

Jul 19, 2019
Ok, I did cinebench test. CPU temp hit 93-94C, even though the fan is to the max or almost. In some gaming benchmarks CPU temp is around 78C. I think my cooler is not working properly or maybe the thermal compound is not spread properly, since I had a hard time installing the fan and I had to wiggle it a little bit, so maybe I did not squash the thermal paste evenly or idk. Maybe that is the problem

Reactions: toyu20102000
Jul 19, 2019
Idk maybe it is normal for this CPU. The thing is all videos on benchmarks I see on Ryzen 3600 stay around 60C on full load. My temperature constantly bounce up and down even at idle, by around 7C up and down constantly. I ordered online a bigger cooler and I will see how it goes.

Jul 19, 2019
Also if I can ask you in CPUID Monitor, I have

TMPIN0 38c
TMPIN1 36c
TMPIN2 67c
TMPIN3 37c
TMPIN4 43c
TMPIN5 49c

Does that mean that some cores are heating more than others ? I don't know if this is relevant

Jul 19, 2019
4DyoxlG.jpg

This is how my temp go up down when I am sitting at the desktop

Its a problem i guess and they will fix it maybe with a new bios. I have better temps 50-55C while browsing and 75-78C at full load but with noctua air cooler. With the first bios i had 1.4v while browsing then i updated to a new bios that msi released and now i get 1.45v while browsing and in full load 1.36v and all cores stay at 4.0Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.