Question Ryzen 3600 reaches high temps with Dark Rock 3

Feb 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my rig moving from an i5-4690k to a Ryzen 3600.
I only changed the CPU, the motherboard and the RAM and kept the rest from my previous build (GPU, case, PSU and cooler).

I did some quick tests to check temps with the new Ryzen processor and there are quite high to me (especially if I compare with my old i5).

On idle, it usually varies between 40 and 50°C.
In game, it is usally around 75°C except with Ahtem where it reaches sometimes 82°C.
I also tested the CPU with OCCT and reaches 82°C at max after 30 minutes.

I'm using my Dark Rock 3 that served me well with my i5. But here it seems not enough.

So are my temps normal or is it too high?

Thank you in advance. :giggle:

Hi everyone,

I only changed the CPU, the motherboard and the RAM and kept the rest from my previous build (GPU, case, PSU and cooler).

I did some quick tests to check temps with the new Ryzen processor and there are quite high to me (especially if I compare with my old i5).

In game, it is usally around 75°C except with Ahtem where it reaches sometimes 82°C.

I'm using my Dark Rock 3 that served me well with my i5. But here it seems not enough.

Bequiet offers an AM4 mounting kit for older coolers like yours.
Dark Rock 3 Mount for AM4 CPU

Feb 11, 2020
Bequiet offers an AM4 mounting kit for older coolers like yours.
Dark Rock 3 Mount for AM4 CPU

Thank you for the reply.

I used the AM4 mounting kit ordered on Amazon. Parts are actually very similar to those from the original package but it was clearly written not to use them even though they look similar.

I removed the cooler yesterday as and changed the thermal paste. It dropped my max temp from 85 to 83C. But that's it.

Regarding the power supply, I use a Cooler Master GX 650W, bronze certified.

Feb 11, 2020
As extra information:

Case: Phanteks P400S TG
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: Corsair LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200 (XMP on)
GTX1070
3 fans in the case (2 on front, 1 on the back)

And regarding the PSU, as it was asked before, the model I use is not sold anymore. (Bought it in 2010 i think)

Feb 11, 2020
Hi there,

I tried different things last night so see if I could get a lower temperature.

I first downloaded Prime95 to run a 20 minutes test. 92.5C so yeah it is hot. I have never used it before, and I noticed that many people use this tool instead of OCCT so I thought it would be better to compare temps.
Then I went to BIOS to reset it (basically it disabled my only setting: XMP) and ran a new test on Prime95. 92C. No real difference...

I decided to check if all my drivers were up to date. Turns out, my chipset driver and my BIOS didn't use their latest versions. I updated everything and ran a new test. 93C after 20 minutes. No improvement again.

After spending an hour on reddit and other forums I ran into this offset temperature that was "introduced" with Ryzen 1X. I'm not sure if it is still a thing with Ryzen 3 but I noticed that temps I was reading on Ryzen Master and HWmonitor weren't the same (hotter on HWMonitor and lower on Ryzen Master). Temps I mentionned here are from HWMonitor. The offset between the 2 software I have is about 7 degrees on average.
I saw some people advising to use HWinfo instead of HWMonitor to get more info. There I could see temps matching with those from HWMonitor and Ryzen Master. The Tctl from HWinfo corresponds to HWMonitor temperate whereas the tdie (not sure about the spelling I'm not on the same machine right now) matches with Ryzen Master temp.

I used for the rest of the evening HWinfo to see how it goes. I didn't run new Prime95 but played games because that is the main reason why I upgraded my computer...
I reset HWinfo min and max temps before launching every game.
I played Anthem (also seems to be poorly optimized and many people complained about CPU temps) and reached 83C. Played also Mirror's Edge Catalyst and reached 72.5C. And a bit of League with 71C at max.

I had the 7 degrees offset as described above in all games except Anthem and only during loading times. Of course, I'm way more comfortable having my temps under 80C. Anthem is just... meh...

Also, while doing the different tests, I also checked temps for the other components and they mostly stay around 30C. I assume they are normal, and the airflow is okay.

Is the offset still a thing with Ryzen 3 Series? To me it seems so but not as huge as on the previous generations but maybe I'm totally wrong and I don't get the whole point here.
With all the tests, I have the feeling that those high temps are more like spikes as they don't stay more than a second or 2. Not sure again but what I understood from different articles about Ryzen 3 series I read was that based on the system's demand, CPU increases very quickly speed and voltages (and so temperature) to "do the job" then chills by decreasing speeds very quickly again.

I didn’t mention it but I enabled the Cool’n’quiet option from the bios and tried the different Windows power plan including the Ryzen balanced one but I couldn’t notice any difference.

Now, Should I be worried with those temps I get?
Did I miss something? Maybe a setting I should enable or disable?

Could my CPU be faulty?

I doubt that my Dark Rock 3 is the problem. It served me well with my previous i5-4690K OC and after running tests last night temperatures went dropped very quickly…

I’m not expert of course. I just read a lot trying to get the big picture and only doing things that are safe. I don’t change my settings immediately after reading something. I compare a lot before doing anything. Just trying to be careful.

I received the CPU, motherboard and RAM last week so I could still send them back…

What are you using to measure temps ? Only Ryzen Master gives a reliable cpu temp...other software like HWinfo64 gives an artificially high reading because it triggers the cpu core when checking temps causing a boost spike.

"I used the AM4 mounting kit ordered on Amazon. Parts are actually very similar to those from the original package but it was clearly written not to use them even though they look similar... "

I doubt there's anything wrong with the 3600 by what you've stated so far...it sounds like your cooler mount is suspect as even the idle temp is too high. My 3600 idles around 27c on an AIO.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Feb 11, 2020
What are you using to measure temps ? Only Ryzen Master gives a reliable cpu temp...other software like HWinfo64 gives an artificially high reading because it triggers the cpu core when checking temps causing a boost spike.

"I used the AM4 mounting kit ordered on Amazon. Parts are actually very similar to those from the original package but it was clearly written not to use them even though they look similar... "

I doubt there's anything wrong with the 3600 by what you've stated so far...it sounds like your cooler mount is suspect as even the idle temp is too high. My 3600 idles around 27c on an AIO.

As I said, I used yesterday HWinfo but before that I was using both Ryzen Master and HWmonitor and noticed the temperate difference.

I can unmount the cooler one more time. Will do that after work.
Just thinking about something else: when I used the cooler with my i5, fan was on the right side and now it is facing down so sucking air out of GPU. Is it a problem?

Feb 11, 2020
Update time. I removed the thermal paste cleaned the cooler and CPU and applied a new one.
Currently on Idle, CPU temp en Ryzen Master is at 40°C.
No difference then...

Absolutely...gpus dump a tremendous amount of heat into a case...if you're pulling that heat directly across the cpu it will no doubt cause higher than expected temps.

Maybe it is stupid but does rotating my cooler would help?

Something else I should investigate?

Feb 11, 2020
If you are pulling air directly across the gpu, then you're likely getting it's heat pulled through the CPU cooler. So you will want to turn the CPU cooler if possible so the fans face out the back of the case that way heat from your CPU can go directly out.

I moved the fanon the other side of the heatsink.
With Discord and Vivaldi opened temp varies from 38C to 43C.
So it is already better. :giggle:

I'll run OCCT or a game later to see if it improves also with the high temps.

Thank you very much!

Feb 11, 2020
One quick test that will heat up really fast is Intel Burn Test. Do 10 passes of that and see. It will throttle your cpu to about 99-100%. That will give an idea how cooling is doing. My cpu will top out around 71-72.

I ran the Intel Burn Test and had very similar results. Max temp was 73.

However no change with OCCT. I reached 82°C after only 2 minutes.

So far the only difference i could notice is the idle temperate which is more stable around 40°C.
On load, no difference.

I can't say I'm as familiar with occt as I've not used that. Are you using ryzen master to check temps? At this point I don't trust hwmonitor or other programs completely until they all update.

72 in Intel burn test is about where my 3600 lands. If I play battlefield 1 for example some of the time when I check the histogram in ryzen master it shows it was lower to mid 50s. But my idle temp gets as low as 28 C.

How many fans are you using? Myself I'm using a wraith prism instead of a dark rock like yours but my fan setup is 3 intake fans on front, 2 exhaust on top and 1 exhaust in back. Here's my case in case you're wondering. That should give an idea how mine is set up.

Feb 11, 2020
Well if at least my intel burn test results are similar to yours it is already something.

I'm using now Ryzen Master only to check temps.
I don't have Battefield 1 unfortunately. I do have Mirror's edge Catalyst using the same engine. When playing, i'm usually over 70C.

I have a Phanteks P400S TG with 2 intake fans on front and 1 exhaust in back. Nothing on top. Though, I removed the 2 top panels hoping it would help a bit.

I also changed a bit the fan curve in the bios.

I haven't touched the voltage nor OC. I would prefer to keep it at stock.
Actually at this point, I'm tempted to try we the stock cooler I got with the CPU...

Phanteks P400S TG

We are a bit opposite then lol. I won't use the stock cooler just considering how small the wraith stealth is. Would give you better cooling on the vrms on your board probably though. I don't mind some fan noise so my CPU fan runs 100% at all times.

I'm considering getting a hyper 212 though and setting up push pull with 2 fans on there.

Feb 11, 2020
Yesterday, I set the fan curve to run at 100% all the time. Okay I now have an airplane in my room but it dropped temps quite a lot.

Idle went down to 38C and load in game was usually between 70 and 75C.

Then I moved one of my front intake fans to the top of the case, aligned with the Dark Rock 3. I also made sure to have a good alignement between the Dark Rock and the last intake front fant.

Idle is now 35C.

When playing games I usually see temps between 65C and 70C.

Even Anthem never exceeds 75C.

So I'm happy with those temps... but less happy with the noise.

Would investing in 1 or 2 extra fans, let say 1 extra top exhaust and maybe one extra intake front fan would help to reduce the noise?

At the moment, i'm using the fan speed switch on the case to control the fan speed (3 speeds only). The case supports 3 fans max.

I guess splitters exist but would it be better to directly plug them to my motherboard instead?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020
Okay so I tried something else last night: changing voltages.

Basically had to revert back to an old BIOS version as it wasn't properly applied.
I set it at 1,26V only to try.
I ran CineBench R20 and Anthem.
I got a lower result that before on Cinebench but also 3-4 degrees lower (71C max).
Kind of same story for Anthem (68C max).

CPU-Z reports the temp I set in the BIOS but in Ryzen Master it still reaches sometimes 1,45V.

It didn't affect my idle temperature at all (I was expecting to lose some degrees) but now varies from 38 to 42C.

I now that lowering the voltages will reduce performance (though I didn't notice it while playing).
Is it actually safe to keep it this way?
I've seen people montionning to put a temp limit in the BIOS instead but it implies using the AMD overclock menu... What about warranty in that case?

Regarding the fan curve, I set it at full speed all the time already.

Hi everyone,

After you upgraded, you did a full reinstall of Windows, correct?