Question Ryzen 3600 runs cooler when overclocked

May 22, 2020
I bought a Ryzen 3600 about a week ago and I've been keeping an eye on temps. When the Ryzen is running on its default settings (no overclock) the temps are normally between 45 and 60 degrees. However, if I overclock it to 4200 on all cores the temperatures go down to a minimum of 38 to a top of 42 degrees. While gaming under default settings temps go up to and over 80 degrees, yet, when overclocked my temps never go over 60 degrees. My system is a Gygabite AB350N gaming mini itx motherboard, sapphire pulse 5700xt, 32 gb corsair vengeance memory @3200 and a noctua CPU cooler.

Is this normal behavior or should I send the CPU back? I'm afraid overclocking the CPU 24/7 will damage it in the long run.

ntragas10

Prominent
Oct 20, 2018
Run a Cinebench with default and overclock settings and see the results.
Also what is the Voltage in the overclock profile settings? Ryzen cpus with default settings have dynamic voltage and sometimes it jumps up to 1.5V, i guess this is why you get high temps by default.

May 22, 2020
Run a Cinebench with default and overclock settings and see the results.
Also what is the Voltage in the overclock profile settings? Ryzen cpus with default settings have dynamic voltage and sometimes it jumps up to 1.5V, i guess this is why you get high temps by default.
Thanks man. That was the issue, somehow stupid Gygabite's Easy Tune was running my voltage pretty much at 1.5v all the time. That was giving me the ridiculous temps. I changed the settings and temps dropped to 33-35 when iddle. Just don't know how to get rid of that piece of crap software. I tried deleting it, but the settings remained in effect after a couple of reboots. I reinstalled it and the heating issue came back. Had to toggle the voltage a couple of times before it came back to 1.2v. Still when overclocked @4300 I got pretty decent temps and 3750 on cinebench, followed by 3572 @4200 and finally 2887 @default settings.

I'm new to this whole overclocking thing, do you think running it at 4200 is too much of a risk? In terms of performance and temps it seems to be ok.

Nov 5, 2021
I am having the same type of results with just a mild overclock and a stock cooler... without OC avg temp at idle was 42-44C, and mild OC 3.8ghz it is 38C-40C and I see the same equivocal lower temps even when gaming... am I crazy or is this the norm?