[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 safe OC values for PPT, TDC, EDC

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Hey guys, I've tried the search function, but did not find anything specific to my question.

I just recently got a Ryzen 3600 and having PBO is something extra that my Ryzen 2600 didn't have, so I want to know for an all core OC with PBO what are safe values for PPT, TDC, EDC ? And some other settings...

I've seen people on reddit saying that you shouldn't go over 90A, while Buildzoid in his videos goes way above that for the 3600.

Also what about the other options, like: PBO scalar, cTDP limit control and package power limit?
You can see Buildzoid's settings in this video:
@11:14 HWinfo shows EDC max 126A and 123W CPU package power and
@15:21 all his Bios settings: PPT 200W, TDC 155A, EDC 155A and 200W for cTDP and PPL.

Solution
At this point I've read 20-30 pages/articles/posts and seen dozens of videos in the last few days about OC-ing Ryzen 3600 and I can say that even though in the beginning, after Zen 2 launched it was believed that a 1.325v or even 1.30v OC was considered safe voltage it has been proven since wrong and many people that were using that voltage for their OC had seen (big) degradation on their CPUs months later.

I'll just leave one link here out of dozens about this subject > View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ejgc6p/1325v_is_not_safe_for_zen_2/

Anyone can chose to believe or ignore that info, I choose to be on the safe side and believe it, thus I'm not going over my min FIT voltage...
Hey guys, I've tried the search function, but did not find anything specific to my question.

I just recently got a Ryzen 3600 and having PBO is something extra that my Ryzen 2600 didn't have, so I want to know for an all core OC with PBO what are safe values for PPT, TDC, EDC ? And some other settings...

I've seen people on reddit saying that you shouldn't go over 90A, while Buildzoid in his videos goes way above that for the 3600.

Also what about the other options, like: PBO scalar, cTDP limit control and package power limit?
You can see Buildzoid's settings in this video:
@11:14 HWinfo shows EDC max 126A and 123W CPU package power and
@15:21 all his Bios settings: PPT 200W, TDC 155A, EDC 155A and 200W for cTDP and PPL.

Ryzen (even Zen2) will rarely OC on all cores over it's max boost frequency.
Once you start with manual all core OC, set multiplier and voltage manually boost and PBO are irrelevant. Because of silicone lottery with CPU and other elements it's difficult to say what you might get.
It's best to start with multiplier setting at some reasonable expectation like 4.GHz (41 multi) and find lowest voltage it would be 100% stable. When you find that raise to 41.5 run tests to find voltage limits and temperatures.
Look ta gauges at Ryzen Master, any one going to red you can change/lower it's value in the BIOS. That's much safer than relaying on what values someone else got on his system.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Ryzen (even Zen2) will rarely OC on all cores over it's max boost frequency.
Once you start with manual all core OC, set multiplier and voltage manually boost and PBO are irrelevant. Because of silicone lottery with CPU and other elements it's difficult to say what you might get.
It's best to start with multiplier setting at some reasonable expectation like 4.GHz (41 multi) and find lowest voltage it would be 100% stable. When you find that raise to 41.5 run tests to find voltage limits and temperatures.
Look ta gauges at Ryzen Master, any one going to red you can change/lower it's value in the BIOS. That's much safer than relaying on what values someone else got on his system.
Thanks, but I already know this, I OC-ed my Ryzen 2600 to 4.15GHz. I just don't know about these new settings which Ryzen 2600 didn't have.

Anyway, the issue is closed now, since I made the topic, I OC-ed my Ryzen 3600 to 4.4Ghz @ 1.26v. It runs stable (prime 95 testing) and cooler (8-10 degrees cooler actually) and quieter. I got a good chip, the one Buildzoid had was from the 1st batches so lower quality silicon, newer ones are much better for OC.

I just left those values at default (PPT, TDC, EDC, etc) and I got 4.4Ghz. I guess if I tweak those too I might get a higher OC, but for me this is good enough. So again my question was specific to those settings nothing else.

Thanks, but I already know this, I OC-ed my Ryzen 2600 to 4.15GHz. I just don't know about these new settings which Ryzen 2600 didn't have.

Anyway, the issue is closed now, since I made the topic, I OC-ed my Ryzen 3600 to 4.4Ghz @ 1.26v. It runs stable (prime 95 testing) and cooler (8-10 degrees cooler actually) and quieter. I got a good chip, the one Buildzoid had was from the 1st batches so lower quality silicon, newer ones are much better for OC.

I just left those values at default (PPT, TDC, EDC, etc) and I got 4.4Ghz. I guess if I tweak those too I might get a higher OC, but for me this is good enough. So again my question was specific to those settings nothing else.
That's great result, if none of those values go into red, they won't do much if anything even when changed. I already tried all those suggestions and more but without results worth mentioning. Only one (EDC bug) had some slightly visible results and only on certain BIOS versions while at auto/PBO boost, nothing with manual OC.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
That's great result, if none of those values go into red, they won't do much if anything even when changed. I already tried all those suggestions and more but without results worth mentioning. Only one (EDC bug) had some slightly visible results and only on certain BIOS versions while at auto/PBO boost, nothing with manual OC.
The only thing I noticed when I tried to modify those values, is that I got more power consumption, higher current and thus higher temps and fan noise at the same frequency of 4.4Ghz, I did not try higher OC since I'm not interested in rising the voltage above 1.26v. I don't care if I can do 4.5 or 4.6Ghz at 1.35v, not interested at all to find out the maximum OC of this chip at the expense of it's life/degradation.

The best 3600 chips can do 4.5Ghz at my voltage, so I'm not missing much, performance wise anyway.
My FIT voltage, the minimum one, at full load in Prime95 is 1.28v, so I pretty safe now at 1.26v.

I'll actually try to see how low and stable voltage can I get with a 4.3Ghz OC and how much is the tradeoff between less performance and better temps and quieter operation and even less degradation (or none). Depending on the result I might use that for daily tasks.

The only thing I noticed when I tried to modify those values, is that I got more power consumption, higher current and thus higher temps and fan noise at the same frequency of 4.4Ghz, I did not try higher OC since I'm not interested in rising the voltage above 1.26v. I don't care if I can do 4.5 or 4.6Ghz at 1.35v, not interested at all to find out the maximum OC of this chip at the expense of it's life/degradation.

The best 3600 chips can do 4.5Ghz at my voltage, so I'm not missing much, performance wise anyway.
My FIT voltage, the minimum one, at full load in Prime95 is 1.28v, so I pretty safe now at 1.26v.

I'll actually try to see how low and stable voltage can I get with a 4.3Ghz OC and how much is the tradeoff between less performance and better temps and quieter operation and even less degradation (or none). Depending on the result I might use that for daily tasks.
If an MB has LLc settings that can be a way to correct voltages slightly. Short voltage spurts are not going to do any damage or degradation. Considering crazy voltages some BIOS sets on auto, 1.3v+ is just as safe.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
If an MB has LLc settings that can be a way to correct voltages slightly. Short voltage spurts are not going to do any damage or degradation. Considering crazy voltages some BIOS sets on auto, 1.3v+ is just as safe.
At this point I've read 20-30 pages/articles/posts and seen dozens of videos in the last few days about OC-ing Ryzen 3600 and I can say that even though in the beginning, after Zen 2 launched it was believed that a 1.325v or even 1.30v OC was considered safe voltage it has been proven since wrong and many people that were using that voltage for their OC had seen (big) degradation on their CPUs months later.

I'll just leave one link here out of dozens about this subject > View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ejgc6p/1325v_is_not_safe_for_zen_2/

Anyone can chose to believe or ignore that info, I choose to be on the safe side and believe it, thus I'm not going over my min FIT voltage as my max OC voltage. In my case the min FIT is 1.28v, my current OC is at 1.26v, with LLC 5 which goes down when in full load to 1.206v - Vdroop. These values are stable in Prime95 testing.

Theoretically I could push it to 1.28v in BIOS and that would give me just 50Mhz more, but also more heat and noise, which I don't want and it's not worth it.

I think the sweetspot is betwen 4.3Ghz and 4.4Ghz for my particular chip, which ever has the best perf/heat/noise ratio - and I'll find that soon.

Anyone can chose to believe or ignore that info, I choose to be on the safe side and believe it, thus I'm not going over my min FIT voltage as my max OC voltage. In my case the min FIT is 1.28v, my current OC is at 1.26v, with LLC 5 which goes down when in full load to 1.206v - Vdroop. These values are stable in Prime95 testing.

Theoretically I could push it to 1.28v in BIOS and that would give me just 50Mhz more, but also more heat and noise, which I don't want and it's not worth it.

I think the sweetspot is betwen 4.3Ghz and 4.4Ghz for my particular chip, which ever has the best perf/heat/noise ratio - and I'll find that soon.
It's prudent and smart to strive for as low voltage (and heat) as possible, no matter which CPU and indeed any electronic device, can't dispute that.
At very beginning AMD was mainating that even 1.5v is not too much so MB manufacturers took it for granted and often set it to that maximum without any good reason. "Ha, see how stable is our MB" Lol, of course, until something goes wrong.
Personally I don't subscribe to that big and fast degradation of CPUs with marginally higher voltages as long as temperatures are decent. I'we been OC ing everything I put my hands on since early '80s, even by doing voltage mods when needed and never experienced no degradation in any form although some did smoke a little or more. Had more trouble with VRMs. None of Ryzens I kept more than a year and that's starting with 1600x,all more or less OCed with long stretches of time working in OC mode but adequately cooled but was wary of voltages over 1.4v which in most cases were not even necessary as OC ceiling was reached before or at that voltage and no added voltage would make noticeable boost. Before this one I had 2700x for about same length of time, mostly boosting up to 1.325v, normally up to 1.275 and no deterioration was observed. I found out it's more economical to just go for automatic boost and PBO than to OC. In case of this 3700x it's boosting one core up to 4.4GHz/ 4.290-ish on others at 1.325v as maximum. Manual OC with any acceptable stability only at 4.3GHz at same max voltage is about maximum no matter what else I do to it including up to 1.5v. Heat and power requirements even lower performance at such occasions. Pushing them higher unless cooled to subzero cooling brings no much more performance, battling only for frequency records to say nothing about how impractical it is. I also often use Power Plan (5/50%) to limit everything to up to 2200MHz a that's not even noticeable for everyday tasks. Voltage barely hits over 1v at those times, temps staying at practically idle levels.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and VforV
Solution

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Sounds like you must have hit the Silicon Lottery !!!!
Yeah. It's one of the golden chips of it's batch, from April 2019. I bought it used now at a good price and I knew it's OC potential from the owner. That's why I bought it.

There are even better ones, newer ones, that can do 4.5Ghz at my voltage or even lower voltage, you can find them on reddit, there are some posts about them.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Depend on what need pc for it can become diminishing returns for OC and higher voltages. Not the good chip here can do 4.3ghz at 1.25v much nice temps but sometimes run 4.150ghz at 1.2v for even cooler temps. Stock vs 4.3ghz vs 4.150ghz almost negligeable fps return in the games so for me diminishing returns. Somewhat telling when play with OC and undervolts.

Could be why my son's 3600 (purchased May 28 2020) is doing
4.225 to 4.275 and has shown 4.3ghz doing the Ppt, tdc, edc values raised with Pbo, LLC3, scaler x9 on a Msi b450 pro carbon.

Those numbers have been shown in Hwinfo64 and Afterburner which currently is only being used to make sure the fans on his 2070 super kick up and for monitoring what is going on as the gpu and his 1440p 165hz monitor is new. ( Xmas presents )
Those numbers was produced from
Unigene Heaven x8 A-A Ultra settings
and his Minecraft Beta Rtx version rendering 12 chunks
He is astonished by what he is getting and still buttery smooth.

Currently I feel there is No need to Oc his system.