[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 Steel Legends Heat Issues

Sep 8, 2020
Hi there,

I have a B450M Steel Legends with the 2.90 BIOS.

When using my 2600, my temps are good and everything works.

However, when I install my new 3600, my temps are very high 45 - 50 at idle, and around 82C in Cinebench. I have tried two different 3600 CPUs, applied the required thermal paste (Noctua and MX)...even updated temporarily to the very latest BIOS, but still I have the same issues.

For reference, I am using a Noctua 12S cooler, with everything placed in a Be Quiet 600 Base case with two fans.

For monitoring, I have used Ryzen Master and HWINFO64.

Could you please help? I really don't want to go back to intel, but the heat issues on the 3600 are tempting me.

Thanks

Solution
Thanks for your reply.

I actually use a Noctua 12S, so I am really surprised by these temps. If I undervolt the CPU, am I not stuck at a particular speed (plus opening Ryzen Master each time)?

Cheers

Once it's set, it's set. The modifications will be done to the UEFI BIOS and you shouldn't have to need worry about it again. RyzenMaster may restart on reboot to double check everything. Make sure you log into an admin account until RyzenMaster no longer starts upon open. It may take a minute after login before it opens for the last time.

Ryzen 3000 has significantly more thermal probes inside of it than the 2000 series. This was to help boost clock algs to run more accurately. So it typically reports the hottest part...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You have two more BIOS updates pending for that platform. I'd update the BIOS gradually till you reached the latest. See if that curtails the heat issue.

For reference's sake, what are you ambient room air temps? What temps are seeing when you're on the Ryzen 2600?

Additionally, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Sep 8, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You have two more BIOS updates pending for that platform. I'd update the BIOS gradually till you reached the latest. See if that curtails the heat issue.

For reference's sake, what are you ambient room air temps? What temps are seeing when you're on the Ryzen 2600?

Additionally, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Hi there,

Ambient room temperature is around 21C, and on the 2600 I normally achieve low 30s. Running Cinebench for example allows temperatures to reach mid 60s...never higher.

The BIOS update was done incrementally from the previously (already installed) 2.50, hence the reason I'm rather stumped :)

Thanks

CPU Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M
RAM: 32GB Corsair 3200
GPU: 1660 Super Gaming X
PSU: Corsair CV550

Would a different B450 motherboard give me better results? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks

I have the b450m steel legend with a Ryzen 3900x. I never exceed 85C on prime 95 which is a bit more torterous a workload.

That said the 3000 series desktop parts are a bit of a different beast when it comes to cooling. The 3600 cpu cooler is actually a little cheaper build quality than the 2600 cooler. The 2600 had a copper core iirc. The 3600 had an aluminum core. Also you are dealing with multiple chips with the 3000 desktop series. For this reason the center of heat is not massed in the middle but to the left and upper right.

That said up to 85C is perfectly fine. No damage will occur. But if you want better performance you might want to go for an after market cooler like a noctua, thermal right, or clc 280 artic liquid freezer ii.

The other thing you can do is get Ryzen master and let it auto undervolt it. See how you do. I heard drops of 10C+ with no perf loss with some undervolts. These kind of numbers are not guaranteed. That's purely based on silicon lottery.

Sep 8, 2020
I have the b450m steel legend with a Ryzen 3900x. I never exceed 85C on prime 95 which is a bit more torterous a workload.

That said the 3000 series desktop parts are a bit of a different beast when it comes to cooling. The 3600 cpu cooler is actually a little cheaper build quality than the 2600 cooler. The 2600 had a copper core iirc. The 3600 had an aluminum core. Also you are dealing with multiple chips with the 3000 desktop series. For this reason the center of heat is not massed in the middle but to the left and upper right.

That said up to 85C is perfectly fine. No damage will occur. But if you want better performance you might want to go for an after market cooler like a noctua, thermal right, or clc 280 artic liquid freezer ii.

The other thing you can do is get Ryzen master and let it auto undervolt it. See how you do. I heard drops of 10C+ with no perf loss with some undervolts. These kind of numbers are not guaranteed. That's purely based on silicon lottery.
Thanks for your reply.

I actually use a Noctua 12S, so I am really surprised by these temps. If I undervolt the CPU, am I not stuck at a particular speed (plus opening Ryzen Master each time)?

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Once it's set, it's set. The modifications will be done to the UEFI BIOS and you shouldn't have to need worry about it again. RyzenMaster may restart on reboot to double check everything. Make sure you log into an admin account until RyzenMaster no longer starts upon open. It may take a minute after login before it opens for the last time.

Ryzen 3000 has significantly more thermal probes inside of it than the 2000 series. This was to help boost clock algs to run more accurately. So it typically reports the hottest part more accurately than the 2000 series. But on average it will run significantly cooler during games. Like I said 85C is no biggie.

There's also a new utility coming out to help Ryzen owners get the most MHz out of their CPU. It is in ALPHA state. Preliminary results show only a small bump MHz wise, but cooler running.

Last edited:
Solution