[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600 vs 3600x cooler

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Hello team,

I was planning to buy Ryzen 3600, however I found that my current cooler (scythe funa) is not AM4 compatible and now I'm in a dilemma, should I buy the 3600 or 3600x for the better cooler?

Kind Regards,

Solution
All coolers with seperate brackets are AM4 compatible. Or threadripper or Intel or ancient Intel. The exact cooler does not make a difference, it's just a heatsink with a flat base that sits on top of any cpu.

Any incompatability comes from the mounting hardware. Pretty much anything pre-am4 uses the same mounting kit, just as any Intel lga115x uses the same mounting kit, doesn't matter if it's 1st gen Sandy-Bridge or 9th gen coffee lake. AMD changed mounting dimensions in AM4, so as long as there is a bracket to mount AM4, the cooler is compatible.

There's 3 versions of the Scythe Fuma. The original, Rev. B and the new Fuma 2. That makes a difference, as they use different mounting systems. The Rev. B and Fuma 2 are already AM4...

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
The problem with Ryzen is that the boost clocks can be reached with any decent and cheap coolers, so no matter the best AIO you have the Ryzen will not exceed beyond their specified boost limits. Very limited OC potential unlike Intel.

Because of that the performance difference between the 3600X and 3600 were only minimal.

In the current CPU market it's not Intel vs AMD, It's AMD vs AMD :p So bottom line get an AM4 bracket or use the stock one of 3600 as it does not matter much.

Hello team,

I was planning to buy Ryzen 3600, however I found that my current cooler (scythe funa) is not AM4 compatible and now I'm in a dilemma, should I buy the 3600 or 3600x for the better cooler?

Kind Regards,
If you feel like tinkering, get the non x version - the cooler isn't a factor here. The x version is better out of the box.
Or stretch your budget a bit to get a 3700.

Gedikpasha

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Well I've got r3600 and msi b350 gaming pro carbon with a stock cooler. My temps are about 80-85 C while gaming sometimes it reaches 90C. Idle temps are 60-65C

So i bought x570 msi gaming edge wifi and temps became 50-55 idle 70-75C while gaming.

Msi gives a Cooler Master ML240L with that motherboard but i havent got that liquid cooler yet.

3600x stock cooler will be little better than 3600.

Reactions: rigg42 and boju

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
If you feel like tinkering, get the non x version - the cooler isn't a factor here. The x version is better out of the box.
Or stretch your budget a bit to get a 3700.

From all the reviews that I saw the 3600 reaches the same frequencies as the 3600x when precision boost is activated.

The 3700 is out of my budget and I don't see the use case for it. I do not use my PC for professional workloads.

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Well I've got r3600 and msi b350 gaming pro carbon with a stock cooler. My temps are about 80-85 C while gaming sometimes it reaches 90C. Idle temps are 60-65C

So i bought x570 msi gaming edge wifi and temps became 50-55 idle 70-75C while gaming.

Msi gives a Cooler Master ML240L with that motherboard but i havent got that liquid cooler yet.

3600x stock cooler will be little better than 3600.

Lol, those are some high temperatures, how hot is is your room?

From what I have seen in reviews the 3600 reaches around 65-70 C under load and the 3600x 60-65 with stock.

I'm currently with I5-6500 and idea is round 40, gaming around 60 and AIDA stress test pushes the CPU to around 68-72 C... the temperature in my room is around 24 C

Based on info i've found on the world wide web, there isn't much overclocking headroom for Ryzen 3rd gen, especially with PBO enabled. I've also heard PBO cannot achieve potential max frequency on a stock cooler. My advice would be to purchase something like this, which is AM4 compatible:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-se-am4
Not knowing your component list (as this was never specified), make sure this aftermarket cooler will fit your case.

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Based on info i've found on the world wide web, there isn't much overclocking headroom for Ryzen 3rd gen, especially with PBO enabled. I've also heard PBO cannot achieve potential max frequency on a stock cooler. My advice would be to purchase something like this, which is AM4 compatible:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-se-am4
Not knowing your component list (as this was never specified), make sure this aftermarket cooler will fit your case.

I sent a mail to Scythe to confirm compatibility and recommend the proper bracket, as on their site it was stated the Fuma was not compatible with AM4, however logainofhades send another like from the vendor that stated compatibility.

My setup -

MoBo - Asus Z170 Pro - Intended MSi B450 Tomahawk
CPU - i5-6500 - Intended Ryzen 3600
RAM - 2x8GB 2400Mhz
PSU - Seasoninc SSR-650FX
GPU - 1070TI Palit Dual
Cooling - Scythe Fuma with two 140MM fans + two additional on the Case
Case - Fractal Design R5 Standard

Reactions: SgtScream

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All coolers with seperate brackets are AM4 compatible. Or threadripper or Intel or ancient Intel. The exact cooler does not make a difference, it's just a heatsink with a flat base that sits on top of any cpu.

Any incompatability comes from the mounting hardware. Pretty much anything pre-am4 uses the same mounting kit, just as any Intel lga115x uses the same mounting kit, doesn't matter if it's 1st gen Sandy-Bridge or 9th gen coffee lake. AMD changed mounting dimensions in AM4, so as long as there is a bracket to mount AM4, the cooler is compatible.

There's 3 versions of the Scythe Fuma. The original, Rev. B and the new Fuma 2. That makes a difference, as they use different mounting systems. The Rev. B and Fuma 2 are already AM4 compatible.

AM4 Mounting System for Scythe Ninja 4, Fuma, Grand Kama Cross 2, Grand Kama Cross 3 (SCAM4-1000B) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRDDXDN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0OFlDbF98R21V

But that's just the mounting system. Whether there is motherboard heatsink clearance, ram clearance, gpu backplate clearance etc is a whole different question and motherboard specific.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019

There's 3 versions of the Scythe Fuma. The original, Rev. B and the new Fuma 2. That makes a difference, as they use different mounting systems. The Rev. B and Fuma 2 are already AM4 compatible.

AM4 Mounting System for Scythe Ninja 4, Fuma, Grand Kama Cross 2, Grand Kama Cross 3 (SCAM4-1000B) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRDDXDN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0OFlDbF98R21V

But that's just the mounting system. Whether there is motherboard heatsink clearance, ram clearance, gpu backplate clearance etc is a whole different question and motherboard specific.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

The cooler was a gift so I don't know which version is, but I got it 3/4 years ago and I use it on Asus Z170 Pro with I5-6500 and I don't have any additional components, except the ones in use so I guess I would need to get the mounting brackets