[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600x high fluctuating temperature when idle

Jackshutty

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2015
My ryzen 3600x running at 4.250ghz @1.360v on h100i v1 using amds auto overclock, when I'm gaming for hours on end the temp doesn't go over 66c but when it's idle it fluctuates from 38c all the way to 57c and its like big jumps for instance it could be 40c then straight to 52c I have had this issue since I upgraded at the end of December I used thernal grizzly paste I thought I hadn't mounted it properly or put to much of it on so in February I completely stripped the computer but I'm still getting the issue. I never had this problem running my fx 6300 running 4.5 at 1.5v for over a year 🤣it ran cooler

Solution
Oh wow actually did not no that thank you mate, I think il just put it back to factory settings I'm trying to get as long as possible out of the chip as my next upgrade will be the gpu, my stock voltage was over 1.4v when I first put my build together so I set the voltage to auto and it put it down to 1.36v and so your saying I can get a extra 75mhz for the amount of vaults I'm using? Also running games like ck2 and hoi4 for hours on end my temps on my cpu don't go over 50c that's with my pump set to quiet and my 2 cpu fans set to 750 rpm.
First thing to understand is how Ryzen works, which is a bit different from Intel CPU's. The max boost clock of a 3600X is 4.4Ghz, it will boost to that clock one core at a time in light...
Reactions: Jackshutty
Just sitting at the desktop, most systems will jump around in clock speed, from as low as 800 MHz to as high as 4.X GHz, as various background tasks start/stop automatically, many of which might only run/execute for a second or two at a time. As clock speeds on various cores jump around, 5 -10 times per second, with core voltage jumping in lock step, therefore naturally....the assorted temps jump instantaneously with clock speed and, even more so, when voltage jumps up to accommodate it.

You can not compare an 8-9 year old architecture CPU's temps (or even clock speeds noted at assorted temps) with Ryzen. Certainly, you gaming temps in the 60's are normal, and good. A semi-heavy all core loading like CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU should induce higher temps than those found on gaming, possibly 70C given your mid-60's gaming temps....

Ahh never thought of enabling cool and quiet all ways thought to keep it off when overclocking, I will let you if it works also it still does it when I change the pump and fan speed to performance

The higher the overclock, the more hotter the cpu will get , especially when its full load.
I've used amd for a long time, what I told you in my last post will do perfectly fine on ryzen.

Thats how I over clock on amd and on intel, check the task manager at times when its not doing anything.
You'll see a low over clock, then when you load up a game or a few apps needing performance.
It will kick right up to the speed it needs to be at until your done.

Reactions: Jackshutty

Jackshutty

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2015
My clock speed is 4.2 ghz all cores at it runs it all the time no down clock and I put cool and quiet on well let's say it didn't go well 🤣🤣 cpu light came on the mobo and long story short and 1 hour of my life wasted finding the cmos reset I finally have my pc back on 🤣I get what your saying but when I'm watching hwmonitor and my cpu is idling between 0-10% usage all cores and its jumping up and down it doesn't make sense its running 4.2 constantly it has the same voltage running into it constantly why would it fluctuate so much when I'm on cod there's about 40-50% cpu usage and it just stays between 60-64in game I just don't get the big jump in temperature when it's the same speed and voltage just less load

Jackshutty

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2015
Just sitting at the desktop, most systems will jump around in clock speed, from as low as 800 MHz to as high as 4.X GHz, as various background tasks start/stop automatically, many of which might only run/execute for a second or two at a time. As clock speeds on various cores jump around, 5 -10 times per second, with core voltage jumping in lock step, therefore naturally....the assorted temps jump instantaneously with clock speed and, even more so, when voltage jumps up to accommodate it.

You can not compare an 8-9 year old architecture CPU's temps (or even clock speeds noted at assorted temps) with Ryzen. Certainly, you gaming temps in the 60's are normal, and good. A semi-heavy all core loading like CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU should induce higher temps than those found on gaming, possibly 70C given your mid-60's gaming temps....
I know what your saying Im sat here watching it now and it's a stable temp of 29 and then a few seconds later load bumps up to 6% on 3 cores a couple on 0 and a couple on 2% the temp instantly jumps to 44c is that normal

Well I upgraded my motherboard and cpu to core i5 9400f, this sixcore is wickedly fast.
Just like your ryzen it keeps going up and down with the speed but the temps stay under 35c.
When I adjust the turbo clock frequency next week, it'll stay silent when it needs to be.

Jackshutty

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2015
Wow ohh well Its nothing to worry about thank you, I always had a slight doubt that my v1 h100i wasn't upto the task and that was the reason for the fluctuating, thank you saved me some money there 😝
Well I upgraded my motherboard and cpu to core i5 9400f, this sixcore is wickedly fast.
Just like your ryzen it keeps going up and down with the speed but the temps stay under 35c.
When I adjust the turbo clock frequency next week, it'll stay silent when it needs to be.
What cooler you using mate, and whats your cpu speed

My ryzen 3600x running at 4.250ghz @1.360v on h100i v1 using amds auto overclock, when I'm gaming for hours on end the temp doesn't go over 66c but when it's idle it fluctuates from 38c all the way to 57c and its like big jumps for instance it could be 40c then straight to 52c I have had this issue since I upgraded at the end of December I used thernal grizzly paste I thought I hadn't mounted it properly or put to much of it on so in February I completely stripped the computer but I'm still getting the issue. I never had this problem running my fx 6300 running 4.5 at 1.5v for over a year 🤣it ran cooler
You've been lucky so far but I have to think your processor won't last as long as you'd like. Even the hardcore 'enthusiast' overclockers are strongly advising against fixed voltage overclocking now as they're already seeing degradation in their systems. If you must, their guidance is to fix it at no higher than 1.2V.

In your case, you've fixed yours pretty high even for what they thought was 'safe' before (1.325V) they came to learn how quickly 7nm is degrading under high temp and current density operation. So that may be why you're still holding in there.

But more interesting is even at 1.36V you're only getting 4.25Ghz...so you leaving 75Mhz of performance on the table right off the bat. It may be one core at a time (two threads) but that's good performance potential when most all gaming features light bursty processing loads on one thread only.

And if you set up a PBO and optimize you might even be able to get higher than that, although that's by no means assured. But you'll definitely get better sustained all-core clocks in heavy workloads, with good cooling (like that h100i AIO)maybe even sustaining the same 4.25Ghz you're getting now. Except with PBO you'll leave the clocks and voltages unfixed so they can be varied and keep the processor safe, or at least a lot safer than the fixed and very dangerous 1.36V you're now using.

Last edited:

Jackshutty

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2015
You've been lucky so far but I have to think your processor won't last as long as you'd like. Even the hardcore 'enthusiast' overclockers are strongly advising against fixed voltage overclocking now as they're already seeing degradation in their systems. If you must, their guidance is to fix it at no higher than 1.2V.

In your case, you've fixed yours pretty high even for what they thought was 'safe' before (1.325V) they came to learn how quickly 7nm is degrading under high temp and current density operation. So that may be why you're still holding in there.

But more interesting is even at 1.36V you're only getting 4.25Ghz...so you leaving 75Mhz of performance on the table right off the bat. It may be one core at a time (two threads) but that's good performance potential when most all gaming features light bursty processing loads on one thread only.

And if you set up a PBO and optimize you might even be able to get higher than that, although that's by no means assured. But you'll definitely get better sustained all-core clocks in heavy workloads, with good cooling (like that h100i AIO)maybe even sustaining the same 4.25Ghz you're getting now. Except with PBO you'll leave the clocks and voltages unfixed so they can be varied and keep the processor safe, or at least a lot safer than the fixed and very dangerous 1.36V you're now using.
Oh wow actually did not no that thank you mate, I think il just put it back to factory settings I'm trying to get as long as possible out of the chip as my next upgrade will be the gpu, my stock voltage was over 1.4v when I first put my build together so I set the voltage to auto and it put it down to 1.36v and so your saying I can get a extra 75mhz for the amount of vaults I'm using? Also running games like ck2 and hoi4 for hours on end my temps on my cpu don't go over 50c that's with my pump set to quiet and my 2 cpu fans set to 750 rpm.

First thing to understand is how Ryzen works, which is a bit different from Intel CPU's. The max boost clock of a 3600X is 4.4Ghz, it will boost to that clock one core at a time in light bursty loads and need from 1.45 volts all the way up to 1.5V to do it. That's normal and by design but only for light, single core processing loads when core current is very low and the average processor temperature is also still low.

When it gets a heavy multi-thread load it lowers voltage as well as the average clock speed as the average temperature also rises. It's lowering the voltage and clocks to protect the processor and it will go as low as 3.6Ghz if the load is heavy enough and average temp gets high enough. The voltage has to be able to lower to as low as 1.2V in order to prevent your processor degrading, that's why you should never fix voltages unless very careful and know what you're about.

But you can make some opimizations to help it boost when it can, which is also what helps games the most. For this you need to make sure you've got the latest BIOS updated and installed the AMD chipset drivers gotten from the AMD support web site. That will also install a Ryzen Balanced custom power plan so be sure to use it and don't change the processor power states. Once that's done, in BIOS enable the following settings: AMD CoolnQuiet, Global C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores.

Now your processor should boost more eagerly in light bursty loads. You can coax it to hold higher clocks as it gets warmer by enabling PBO in MANUAL and make the following settings: PPT to 333, EDC and TDC to 230. It's still going to lower clocks but it should hold a slightly higher clock when it can and yet still drop clocks along with voltage as needed to keep the processor from degrading.

Last edited:
Solution