[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600X overheating on idle ?

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I have a Ryzen 3600x and a 240 AIO on an MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboard and the CPU temps on idle are going from 60-90 without anything. I cleaned the cpu and the block, put some new thermal paste on it and the problem still persists.

What could possibly be going on ?
Checked RPM of pump and fans and everything is all good or looked all good.

Solution
I have a Ryzen 3600x and a 240 AIO on an MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboard and the CPU temps on idle are going from 60-90 without anything. I cleaned the cpu and the block, put some new thermal paste on it and the problem still persists.

What specific AIO do you have?

There's a couple of 'pump in radiator' designs (like MSI's Coreliquid line) that may not function well when mounted wrong. They really can't be mounted on top of the case because the pump will just end up sucking on air and not moving much liquid.

Mounted on bottom and the water block winds up with air bubbles in it, so while liquid is moving the...

Are you sure water is circulating, is radiator getting worm/hot ? Pump motor and impeller are not connected directly do it's possible for motor to run but not pump.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Are you sure water is circulating, is radiator getting worm/hot ? Pump motor and impeller are not connected directly do it's possible for motor to run but not pump.
well one of the pipes is getting warmer than the other, Im pretty sure the its pumping the water I can here it start up then smoothens out if that makes sense

There should be no discernible temperature difference between liquid pipes.
Probably clogged cpu block.

Like here:

d56ailidzm811.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike

There's a couple of 'pump in radiator' designs (like MSI's Coreliquid line) that may not function well when mounted wrong. They really can't be mounted on top of the case because the pump will just end up sucking on air and not moving much liquid.

Mounted on bottom and the water block winds up with air bubbles in it, so while liquid is moving the water block fins aren't always immersed in it.

That pretty much means it has to be mounted in front with one tank above the CPU/water block for best...or even adequate....operation.

Last edited:
Solution

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

Mounted on bottom and the water block winds up with air bubbles in it, so while liquid is moving the water block fins aren't always immersed in it.

That pretty much means it has to be mounted in front with one tank above the CPU/water block for best...or even adequate....operation.
Its a thermaltake 240 ARGB

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Thermaltake AIO's are famous for gumming up extremely early. Steve at GN did a couple of youtube vids a while back where he disected a couple of them to show us the gummy gel that he oozed out of the water block.
Yeah going to put stock cooler on and RMA has to be something like that because change of mounting reseating and reapplying paste another time didn’t do anything