Question Ryzen 3600x poor perfomance

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Hi guys. I "upgraded" from a 6 year old set up - I5- 4670K (overclocked to 4.1ghz) with DDR3 1600Mhz ram to Ryzen 3600x with DDR4 3200Mhz ram last week.

Everything runs fine. I was expecting massive perfomance gains over the 6 year old system but in games my FPS is largely the same or worse. I have done some synthetic benchmarks over the weekend, pefomance with the 3600x is worse than the old i5-4670k !

The only game I have seen a big improvement in is Battlfield 1

eg Tomb raider benchmark tool intel 91fps, Ryzen 85fps

Total War Three kingdoms battle benchmark tool intel average fps 54.5, Ryzen 48.6

Unigine Heaven benchmark intel Score 2540 FPS 100, min 32 max 188, Ryzen Score 2220, FPS 88.1, min 42 max 153

I have installed all the necessary drivers etc. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows (I simply switched drives from the intel system to Ryzen although I did unintall all the old intel drivers). Is this the issue because I have read in numerous places it is not necessary to reinstall windows 10

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Always take benchmarks with (a big) pinch of salt.
Not clean installing windows can cause these problems as you can have various driver conflicts in the background.
Where did you install the necessary drivers from?

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Yes I did install all latest drivers for every component/software, Bios from MSI website. uninstalled all old intel drivers and devices
There are numerous articles which say it is not necessary to reinstall windows when switching because windows 10 can handle such a change.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There are numerous articles which say it is not necessary to reinstall windows when switching because windows 10 can handle such a change.
Yes it can, but it's not a guaranteed switch. It absolutely can handle such a switch, but being as you've run benchmarks, you've noticed a slight problem, which can be indicative of this potential problem.

You will still have lots of residual files and modules probably lurking in the background. Not saying it's guaranteed, but quite potential.

Can you run userbenchmark and post the link here? It's not a great tool to use, but it can be a good indicator as to what might be going on that can be shared.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Yes I did install all latest drivers for every component/software, Bios from MSI website. uninstalled all old intel drivers and devices
It is being handled alright. It's just not working as it should because of the Intel patches for security.

Your call, but we can't help if you won't accept this.

Cheers!

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - 87.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 85.2%
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB - 72.8%
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB - 85.9%
RAM: Unknown 3200 C16 Series 2x8GB - 88.5%
MBD: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85)

If the cpu base architecture and the chipset it's on stays the same it can...
When moving from a 6 year old Intel architecture to a brand new AMD architecture... not so much.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Hi, Ive changed from a core i5 3570 to a Ryzen 3600 and the perofrmance increase was huge, max FPs is just a part of it, If you don't analize Avgs and Mins you can't really tell how good the upgrade was.
In my case MAX FPS went up a lot, but you can also see check at your avg and min FPS and realize theres way less spikes and the frames are more consistant over time (you don't get min FPS that often).

As for games before chaging CPU, in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider my GPU was only at around a 3~9% bound, that mean my old CPU was bottlenecking it, taking way more time than it should to finish its taks. Bacially the GPU spends most of its time just waiting the CPU to catch up.
After changing to Ryzen 5 3600, in SOTR my GPU was bound at around 95% (vsync off and everything on ultra like with the intel cpu), so now CPU can give the GPU all it needs in time to render the game. Also avg and max FPS results got way closer to each other, which means that you get less FPS drops.

In BFV, with everything on Ultra and even with Ray Tracing ON I get avg of 52FPS. If I turn Ray Tracing OFF I get avg of 103 FPS. thats more than enough for my 60Hz monitor, and around a 100% more FPS than with my old intel CPU.

As for benchmark, if you use Cinebench, Prime95 (small package) or Blender, you should see a huge diference in performance, of course, as someone pointed out, some benchmark run better on Intel, other run better on AMD.

As others said, I would also make a clean install of Windows, and double check if PB (thats not PBO, just PB) is enable on BIOS.

Just one last thing, with the stock cooler and only PB enable I get score 3602~3605 in Cinebench R20, with the new tower cooler I got last week, score went up to 3660~3670.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19643174

with Cinebench R15 in my old system I got a cpu score of 574, with Ryzen I get cpu score of 1405

with cinebench R20 I get a score of 3134 points with ryzen (didnt test with old intel)
You do need to reinstall Windows, as you appear to have drawn the short stick as far as the OS having actually handled the transfer poorly.

Also, all your storage drives are showing up as darn near maxed out. Probably a result of the current Windows kerfuffle.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Those artivcles are correct only in the sense that it will work, as you already know...but it will not perform optimally until a clean Win 10 install is done...there's no way around that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I went from an i7-3770k to a Ryzen 3700x; I tried to leave the existing install in place and definitely had stability issues and random freezes.

After a wipe/reinstall, the system is 100% stable and seems way faster than the "upgraded" install.
People can be real stubborn about reinstalling Windows for no real reason.
If you just backup your important non-Windows files... what's so hard about that?

People can be real stubborn about reinstalling Windows for no real reason.
If you just backup your important non-Windows files... what's so hard about that?
I hated doing it in the Win XP/7 days. It could be like pulling teeth trying to find all the drivers and things for some systems.

Now that SSDs exist and 10 does most of the drivers and stuff for you, you can seriously be up and running again in 30 minutes and have all your programs re-installed in a couple hours. I keep all my documents, music, and photos, as well as Steam/Origin games on a different drive, so they just have to go look for the files and verify they're there.

Reactions: Phaaze88

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just an update after reinstalling windows I've seen a big performance boost !
Glad your problem seems to be resolved, it's a common occurrence, and also why so many of us always recommend clean installing after major hardware change.

Either way, I'm glad you seem to be back up and running fine, happy gaming!

Just remember to select a best answer of your choice (shown in signature) for others visiting the forum to see :)

Reactions: rumple99

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have installed all the necessary drivers etc. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows (I simply switched drives from the intel system to Ryzen although I did unintall all the old intel drivers). Is this the issue because I have read in numerous places it is not necessary to reinstall windows 10
It's not necessary, but it can easily cause conflict. If you are encountering an issue or lack of performance, then yes you need to reinstall windows. Unfortunately there is no blanket statement of it's "OK" or "Not OK" as it totally varies on the system, what you're upgrading and how you do it.

Dec 26, 2019
Hi guys. I "upgraded" from a 6 year old set up - I5- 4670K (overclocked to 4.1ghz) with DDR3 1600Mhz ram to Ryzen 3600x with DDR4 3200Mhz ram last week.

Everything runs fine. I was expecting massive perfomance gains over the 6 year old system but in games my FPS is largely the same or worse. I have done some synthetic benchmarks over the weekend, pefomance with the 3600x is worse than the old i5-4670k !

The only game I have seen a big improvement in is Battlfield 1

eg Tomb raider benchmark tool intel 91fps, Ryzen 85fps

Total War Three kingdoms battle benchmark tool intel average fps 54.5, Ryzen 48.6

Unigine Heaven benchmark intel Score 2540 FPS 100, min 32 max 188, Ryzen Score 2220, FPS 88.1, min 42 max 153

I dono sounds about right to me. I dono where you got it from, but who ever told you that ryzen is comparable to intel in gaming is in la la land. I have had a 1700 4ghz all cores 1700x 4ghz all cores a 2600 4ghz all cores, and at no time ever did they come close to intel on max fps. Now the 7nm ryzen is suppose to be closer, but no where near it. You are also missing the fact that for some reason all ryzen people leave out is the huge ram latency problem. If you ran a passmark benchmark on the ram latency you would find that even that old intel would beat ryzen in it. I have 3200 mhz ram I switched it between a 2600 and a 9600k and the ryzen got 75 and the intel 17. I cant find people who ran the passmark latency score on ryzen, and your benchmark of heaven is the only when i could find quickly when i typed in ryzen 3600 heaven score.

I am curious though, every one in here told you its a driver problem. I have switched cpus and mother board on ryzen to intel and never found a clean install gave me better numbers.

So if you even get a chance, to reinstall and windows I would be curious on the heaven numbers, and passmark ram latency:) No one gives me those haha, I have tried asking on lots of forums and the only response i got is FU, i am not stopping what i am doing to run the passmark test haha.

I can tell you between a 2600 and a 9600k the fps different is huge, even if you are using a 5700xt.