Question Ryzen 3600x temp spikes?

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
So it idles at 36C but spikes to 46C constantly? I dont mind the temps, what i do mine is the fan bursts as it does this... first ryzen ive owned, but when i googled this, it seems a common issue... is the only way to cure this a better heatsink?

Solution
There is not a cure, because there isn't an issue to fix, this is perfectly normal behaviour my friend :)

The temperature you explained is perfectly normal, the latest Ryzen operates normally up to 1.5V.

It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens - Thus your random fluctuations. In effect, it boosts a core out of sleep, so you have a big amount of voltage rush into a small space, thus the big and seemingly random heat jumps.

In doing this it also boosts it to high speed, then decreases and stabilises or stays at boost speed, where the temperature then settles.

To help ease your mind...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is not a cure, because there isn't an issue to fix, this is perfectly normal behaviour my friend :)

The temperature you explained is perfectly normal, the latest Ryzen operates normally up to 1.5V.

It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens - Thus your random fluctuations. In effect, it boosts a core out of sleep, so you have a big amount of voltage rush into a small space, thus the big and seemingly random heat jumps.

In doing this it also boosts it to high speed, then decreases and stabilises or stays at boost speed, where the temperature then settles.

To help ease your mind further, here is an extract from Robert Hallock's post who is an AMD Technical Engineer who works with the community a lot:
It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also. This is the processor working as expected. Ryzen is a highly dynamic system, with up to 1000 voltage and clockspeed changes every second. You will see a lot of bouncing around as you work with your system.

https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-ryzen-5-3600-up-to-1-488-vcore.3517037/

Reactions: weehamish
Solution

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
That doesnt fix the fan doing my head in. A better heat sink would? I dont mind the mechanics of the cput but the fan bursting every 8 seconds is annoying as hell... you cant even read something without it annoying you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That doesnt fix the fan doing my head in. A better heat sink would? I dont mind the mechanics of the cput but the fan bursting every 8 seconds is annoying as hell... you cant even read something without it annoying you.
An aftermarket cooler can help this, but you can also just adjust the fan curve in the BIOS to only start ramping up past higher temperatures so it's not constantly fluctuating.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hmmm i maybe need tweak this then. But i do have a nh d14 sitting there doing nothing but i need a bracket to install it. I will tweak the fan settings tomoz but long term i think the nh d14 will be nice. Thanks for all your help, if i get stuck tomoz watch this post because i maybe need help :p

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmmm i maybe need tweak this then. But i do have a nh d14 sitting there doing nothing but i need a bracket to install it. I will tweak the fan settings tomoz but long term i think the nh d14 will be nice. Thanks for all your help, if i get stuck tomoz watch this post because i maybe need help :p
No problem at all my friend - just let us know :)
No doubt a D14 might be more suitable, but see how a custom fan curve helps, I find that's the resolution most people go for :and have no issues :)

Fan curve will help with the noise.

What can also help, unless you need all the boost from your Ryzen 5, is to disable PB (Precision Boost, not to be confused with PBO) in BIOS, this will make your CPU work at a max BASE clock (3.8Ghz), instead of the ~4xxx should reach with PB enable. I did this for my Ryzen, and Im keeping in it that way cause I haven't found a game yet that requires more than my 3.6GHz base clock (of course I only have a 1080p - 60Hz capable monitor).

But yeah, nh d14 will help you a lot. I got myself a cheap Gammaxx GTE for my Ryzen 5 3600 it was night an day compared to stock cooler, the noise was gone, even if I turn on PB.

nh d14 should be way better than my deep cool - I would have bought one of noctua's air coolers but I can't get my hands on them where I live, not easy at all to get them.

So it idles at 36C but spikes to 46C constantly? I dont mind the temps, what i do mine is the fan bursts as it does this... first ryzen ive owned, but when i googled this, it seems a common issue... is the only way to cure this a better heatsink?
Those temp spikes aren't critical, so set temperature curve that keeps the fans at a slow speed until it's really important.

I set mine to a speed that's barely audible until 65C, then I let it go up in speed to something I can hear but don't find bothersome. At about 75-80C is when I start letting the dogs out until around 90C they finally peak at 100%.

That works perfectly well for me.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks a lot guys, i set the curve to stay slow until 55C and now when idle i get no fan bursts! Nice and quiet from now on :) i game with a headset on so i dont mind it ramping up in game, i cant hear it but when im doing my shopping or reading something them bursts were so annoying! it idles at 30C but spikes to 40C so i could even lower it more but i think it should be safe at 55C for now.

The Noctua bracket should come next week sometime, a guy who i buy my PCs from will dig one out for me, So ill get to fitting that next week and compare temps, its a massive cooler so no doubt will be much better and silent even at high load.

My next obstacle is finding a cheap 2060s or 2070s, i got offered the windforce 2060s for £320 but im waiting on black friday sales

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Just an update, Noctua actually do send the bracket out for free. Ive ordered one but now i need some thermal compound... they dont send that haha. Which do you recommend and how easy it to apply this? How do you clean the old crap off? The stuff currently on the heatsink wipes right off its Noctuas own stuff but im not sure whats on the CPU and scared ill damage it cleaning it off...

There are lots of tutorials on internet (just as an example):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOd1oN1wPSk