[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600X Temperatures and Loud Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi All!

Recently upgraded my system to latest Ryzen and wanted a quick sanity check on temperatures and fan behaviour:

CPU: Ryzen 3600X (Stock)
Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire
GPU: ROG 1060 6G OC
MB: Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Storage: 1x M500 Crucial SSD and 2x1TB HDD drives (WD Blue and WD Green).
PSU: Seasonic 750W FOCUS Plus Gold (more for headroom later).
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 with all fans included.

Just wanted a quick sanity check, initially the fan behaviour seemed off, a constant (somewhat loud) ramping up and down in line with core usage in Ryzen Master.

• The idle temp was flipping between 35 and 48 degrees. And small load would pop up to 55 degrees fairly easily.
  • Prime95 goes up to 95 degrees limit after about 5 minutes. But Ryzen Master stress test doesn't go above 65 degrees.
  • The fan seems pretty loud, which seems to have quietened after a BIOS update (and I have rejigged fan profiles in BIOS). but from my recollection was running around 1400RPM pretty standard. So it's a large noise increase from my previous setup. The fan is still definitely loud enough through my case though.
  • I have reseated cooler with fresh third party thermal paste.
  • I have also updated BIOS to latest Version - (this actually increased idle temps by about 5-8 degrees).
  • Clean install of windows too with latest drivers all installed accordingly.#
  • I've had to go away on business however will be running some various games when I return to check general load temperatures.
I used to run an overclocked 4690k with a H45 Corsair and temps never really went over 60 degrees under stress testing.

I understand the 3600X does run hot, ambient temperature I was not able to gauge but it certainly isn't hot. Warm at most - but just wanted to sanity check with those on the forums that this has been normal for them? I wouldn't expect the stock cooler to cope so well on Prime95, but considering the rapid temperature increases with minor actions, it brought about a little doubt.

I also can only monitor the CPU package temperature as opposed to individual cores on HWInfo, and actually wasn't aware if this was normal? As I cannot identify if the temperature it is displaying is simply the hottest core.

Just wanted to gauge anyone elses experience with it as I suspect this could normal, however I can't find too many reference points referring to both temperature and fan noise from my current searches and I have a little doubt that potentially the cooler may be a little faulty.

- thank you in advance :)

Solution
Hi All!

Recently upgraded my system to latest Ryzen and wanted a quick sanity check on temperatures and fan behaviour:

Just wanted a quick sanity check, initially the fan behaviour seemed off, a constant (somewhat loud) ramping up and down in line with core usage in Ryzen Master.

• The idle temp was flipping between 35 and 48 degrees. And small load would pop up to 55 degrees fairly easily...

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
It's worth trying a negative voltage offset of - .100v in the BIOS as this can reduce temperatures considerably without any performance loss.
In fact it helped increase performance and reduce temperatures by around 10c on my Ryzen 3700x during gaming and idling.
The same scenario applied to my Ryzen 2700x.

I know where you're coming from regarding fan noise ramping up and down according to light loads.
It increases the RPM as temperatures rise so hence the extra noise.

HWinfo does just display 1 temperature for the CPU as there is only 1 actual sensor.
You can monitor %usage and MHZ speed of each core individually though.

Andy

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Glad to hear it isn't just mine then, as I said, I suspected it was normal, but wanted that sanity check as this is the first 3600X with a stock cooler I've had to monitor extensively.

I know where you're coming from regarding fan noise ramping up and down according to light loads.
It increases the RPM as temperatures rise so hence the extra noise.
Yes I saw it was only in relation to temperatures, just seemed very - odd - in the manner that it was, every few seconds after loading up a program you'd hear the sudden increase and then decrease. Which I've had before, just I suspect the rapid responsiveness and loudness of this cooler brought more attention to it.

HWinfo does just display 1 temperature for the CPU as there is only 1 actual sensor.
You can monitor %usage and MHZ speed of each core individually though.
I suspected as much - I just couldn't seem to find any reference anywhere on my searches for it only being one sensor, but this was my suspicion at first. Thank you for clarifying. Yes I had been monitoring the others, so will continue to do so.

It's worth trying a negative voltage offset of - .100v in the BIOS as this can reduce temperatures considerably without any performance loss.
I noticed the high idle votlage, and also know that this was because of the boost to transistion from sleep to active. So I wasn't too concerned.

So from what I'm deducing already and from what I have seen (although somewhat minimal) it seems to be it's pretty normal at this point (correct me if I am mistaken) - and it just might be an upgrade to a third party cooler is necessary...

I also heard rumours they redesigned the latest Spire and it hasn't quite had the same impact.

Thank you for the response my friend!

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
There are absolutely dozens of posts on the AMD forums regarding high temperatures and on here too.
It is related to the voltage that the motherboards provide to the CPU as the offset of - .100 reduces heat, stops thermal throttling and increases performance too.

I use a stock cooler which is the Wraith Prism and it is fine with my 3700x and was with the 2700x too.
So a 3rd party cooler isn't an absolute necessity unless you try offsets and still have excessive temperatures.

If you set Windows Power Option to Power Saver it will limit the CPU speed to around 2200 MHZ and reduce voltages too.
I always set this when not gaming as it reduces everything and consequent fan noise.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There are absolutely dozens of posts on the AMD forums regarding high temperatures and on here too.
It is related to the voltage that the motherboards provide to the CPU as the offset of - .100 reduces heat, stops thermal throttling and increases performance too.

I use a stock cooler which is the Wraith Prism and it is fine with my 3700x and was with the 2700x too.
So a 3rd party cooler isn't an absolute necessity unless you try offsets and still have excessive temperatures.

If you set Windows Power Option to Power Saver it will limit the CPU speed to around 2200 MHZ and reduce voltages too.
I always set this when not gaming as it reduces everything and consequent fan noise.
Yes I saw plenty of posts, but none specific enough for me to check what exactly was normal and what wasn't. Especially being as I know people tend to only post when there is a problem. I wanted to see if there were anyone who with a stock cooler would actually say "no, this is abnormal"

I know it runs hot, but wanted more of a sanity check like yours of "Yes mine is doing the exact same thing". I knew there would be info out there, just haven't been able to come across the right kind if that makes sense!

Thus why I appreciate your answer.

I suspect I may be upgrading as I am too used to a pretty quiet system, and the stock cooler has added a fair bit of noise in comparison, but I will be trying to test out jigging the voltages slightly and seeing what difference it makes.

Hi All!

• The idle temp was flipping between 35 and 48 degrees. And small load would pop up to 55 degrees fairly easily.
  • Prime95 goes up to 95 degrees limit after about 5 minutes. But Ryzen Master stress test doesn't go above 65 degrees.
  • The fan seems pretty loud, which seems to have quietened after a BIOS update (and I have rejigged fan profiles in BIOS). but from my recollection was running around 1400RPM pretty standard. So it's a large noise increase from my previous setup. The fan is still definitely loud enough through my case though.
  • I have reseated cooler with fresh third party thermal paste.
  • I have also updated BIOS to latest Version - (this actually increased idle temps by about 5-8 degrees).
  • Clean install of windows too with latest drivers all installed accordingly.#
  • I've had to go away on business however will be running some various games when I return to check general load temperatures.
I used to run an overclocked 4690k with a H45 Corsair and temps never really went over 60 degrees under stress testing.

I understand the 3600X does run hot, ambient temperature I was not able to gauge but it certainly isn't hot. Warm at most - but just wanted to sanity check with those on the forums that this has been normal for them? I wouldn't expect the stock cooler to cope so well on Prime95, but considering the rapid temperature increases with minor actions, it brought about a little doubt.

I also can only monitor the CPU package temperature as opposed to individual cores on HWInfo, and actually wasn't aware if this was normal? As I cannot identify if the temperature it is displaying is simply the hottest core.

Just wanted to gauge anyone elses experience with it as I suspect this could normal, however I can't find too many reference points referring to both temperature and fan noise from my current searches and I have a little doubt that potentially the cooler may be a little faulty.

- thank you in advance :)

What you're experiencing is something called 'rush to idle'. It was explained very well by Robert Halleck (AMD engineering technical customer rep) in a Community Talk:

https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2

Go down to the bottom and read the PDF linked there.

Also watch Buildzoids excellently meandering video on Zen2 boosting under an oscilloscope:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORHYffg5ipM&t=1776s

In the 'rush to idle' Zen2 has a super aggressive boost behaviour: boosting one core as high as possible (depends on thermal and VRM headroom) and effectively pumping an entire TDP rating worth of power into one tiny little area of the 7nm chiplet (one core). Then rather quickly ramping it back until it achieves a sustainable clock and power draw or the processing load is retired. It's obvious that when you do that the temperature (in that one core) will skyrocket, however briefly, and ramp back as the processor works back to an idle state.

The thing is: there's not a darn thing the best CPU cooler in the world (short of LN2-class) can do to tame it. That's because the area is so tiny it's impossible to get the heat out through the small surface area in any meaningful amount of time.

So what to do: I've set a fan curve to essentially ignore it. In my case, I set the highest sub-audible fan speed I could on a flat line all the way up to about 65-70C, then start ramping it up from there. That way all the blips and peaks (which never get above 60C) are all perfectly ignored by the fans, they just stay humming away the whole time. Only if I start and encoding and the whole CPU gets real and truly hot...above 70C...do they start the ramp. It never gets above 75, though, unless I do something silly like stress testing.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes I saw this previously, hadn't seen the video though.
I've been retesting and my CPU doesn't go over 72 degrees when gaming, the voltage does stay pretty high on call cores throughout, but i will suspect that this is normal.

Thanks for the responses all.

Yes I saw this previously, hadn't seen the video though.
I've been retesting and my CPU doesn't go over 72 degrees when gaming, the voltage does stay pretty high on call cores throughout, but i will suspect that this is normal.

Thanks for the responses all.
Higher voltage is normal than most people are used to but AMD has stated several times the normal operating range is .2-1.5 V. But that's when it's in Auto...Robert Halleck as stated several times that if you want 'SAFE' leave voltage in AUTO and let the CPU manage itself.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Higher voltage is normal than most people are used to but AMD has stated several times the normal operating range is .2-1.5 V. But that's when it's in Auto...Robert Halleck as stated several times that if you want 'SAFE' leave voltage in AUTO and let the CPU manage itself.
Yes exactly, which is why I have left it to normal for now.
I know from all the releases the voltage was higher than expected. Just typically most were stipulating it wasn't across all cores.

Frankly I've not minded, it fluctuates between 1.3 and 1.45V. Which seemed normal for me prior to me upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.