[SOLVED] Ryzen 3600X vs. 2700 temperatures - anything look wrong here?

Taymar02

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Hey all, I think I've got a basic understanding of the way ryzen 3000 works in terms of managing speed and voltage to temperature. With that said, the temps I'm seeing are higher than expected. I've got two systems and have recorded the differences in temps under the same conditions.

Would anyone mind taking a quick look and seeing if I should be concerned with the 3600X temps, considering this is CPU only with no GPU load adding heat.

Latest drivers/bios/agesa on both, clean installs of windows 10. Temps from latest version of HWinfo64. Everything is at default/stock clocks.

System 1:
Ryzen 2700
Asus TUF B450 motherboard
Cooler Master hyper 212 cooler w/Arctic silver MX4 paste
GTX 1070
Seasonic 750W PSU
Thermaltake case, 1 x 120mm intake fan (front), 1 x 120mm exhaust fan (rear) open top vents
Ambient temp 71F/21.7C
tdie idle temp: 37C
tdie max temp under load (prime 95 10+ minutes): 53C

System 2:

Ryzen 3600X
Asus TUF x570 motherboard
Cooler Master hyper 212 black cooler w/Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste
GTX 1070
Seasonic 750W PSU
Corsair case, 1 x 120mm intake fan (front), 1 x 120mm exhaust fan (rear) open top vents
Ambient temp 69F/20.6C
tdie idle temp: 37-51C fluctuating constantly
tdie max temp under load (prime95 10+ minutes): 82.4C /
cpu fan @2000rpm

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for any insight.
It looks fairly normal to me. Ryzen 3000 cpus boost very aggressively at idle... which isn't really idle since Windows 10 is constantly running a lot of light bursty processing threads through the processor. Even just moving some desktop icons around with the mouse will make the processor boost a thread to highest boost clock which makes the boosting core temperature spike up then ramp back down. AMD's Robert Halleck calls that a 'rush to idle', meaning retire the process as soon as possible to get back to a C6 sleep state and rack up some power savings before the next one comes along.

Also as noted, Hyper212's aren't the best coolers. But 82 C under such an unrealistically extreme processing load...
Thanks for any insight.
It looks fairly normal to me. Ryzen 3000 cpus boost very aggressively at idle... which isn't really idle since Windows 10 is constantly running a lot of light bursty processing threads through the processor. Even just moving some desktop icons around with the mouse will make the processor boost a thread to highest boost clock which makes the boosting core temperature spike up then ramp back down. AMD's Robert Halleck calls that a 'rush to idle', meaning retire the process as soon as possible to get back to a C6 sleep state and rack up some power savings before the next one comes along.

Also as noted, Hyper212's aren't the best coolers. But 82 C under such an unrealistically extreme processing load as Prime95, with it's AVX instructions, doesn't seem all that bad. My 3700X gets into the 80's in similar processing and it's under a 240mm AIO. The difference is I get something like an hour before the liquid thermally saturates while your aluminum fins and copper heat pipes saturate just a few minutes or even seconds.

What would be far more interesting, and relevant, is what temperatures are running in heavy but 'real-world' processing... something like a RealBench or GeekBench stress tests would show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taymar02
Solution

Taymar02

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Thank you guys. I believe the 212's max fan speed is 2000rpm which it was hitting. I'll see if there's anywhere I can force it to 100% and see if the motherboard can run it any faster than that.

Will also check out some other benchmarking tools - thanks for the tip!

Wish I'd gone for a different cooler...

HWinfo64 partially causes the temp spikes as it causes the cores to activate to provide the temp reading...use Ryzen Master to get accurate temp readings without partial triggers. HWinfo64 says my 3600 is bouncing from 30c to 45c constantly...Ryzen Master reads a steady 28-30c.

There's nothing wrong with the CM 212 Black cooler for a 6 core cpu...it's a solid mid-level cooler that easily out performs the stock 3600x cooler.

I would look more at your case cooling with just single 120mm intake and exhaust fan as the issue...you need to move more air through that case. Most cases these days come with 3 front mounted fans because modern CPUs and GPUs dump a ton of heat into a case and a single fan won't handle the heat load.

Last edited:

Taymar02

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Good to know, thanks! Is it still good practice to have the same number of intake as exhaust fans, or less so? My case only has one exhaust fan port on the back, but it has 3 fan spaces on the front panel and I think two on the top.

Good to know, thanks! Is it still good practice to have the same number of intake as exhaust fans, or less so? My case only has one exhaust fan port on the back, but it has 3 fan spaces on the front panel and I think two on the top.
Simply for moving air I don't think the number is as important as air flow; a single large fan exhausting at high RPM could easily speed along all the air three small front fans bring in at low RPM. But I'd try to put fans in all locations, more fans mean you can run them all at lower RPM and still still move the air needed. That would be three exhuast, one in back two on top, and the three in front as intakes. With that you could have them making really slow turns and quietly go about their duties.

Reactions: Taymar02 and dorsai
I don't have the Hyper 212, but I do have a wraith prism, and I'm familiar with teh 212. Also just bought a new Ryzen 3600. So I was in the same boat as you. My 1700x would go max of 66-70. The 3600 would go higher to like 73-74.

What I ended up doing was leaving the 3600 stock. I have the wraith prism running it's fan 100% all times. My case is the Cooler Master MB511 with 3 fans on front, 2 on top, 1 in rear. What I did was leave my 3 front fans as intake. I changed the 2 top fans to be exhaust instead of intake, and ended up leaving the rear fan as exhaust.

Doing this dropped my load temps, which is a 10 pass of intel burn test from 73-74 to around 70-71. But you want to rely on Ryzen Master and not hwmonitor or core temp etc. Those programs showed my cpu as running hotter. Ryzen Master at least for now seems to be more accurate than those. 84 is a bit high for my taste, but according to Ryzen Master, 95 is the max.

You might try to force the fan to 100%. Also, you can set the hyper 212 up with a second fan for a push/pull configuration. So that probably wouldn't hurt either.

HI, a little late to the party, I suggest you check this on the Ryzen 5 3600X:

Go to the Energy Options in Windows 10 (Win key + R -> powercfg.cpl, and then Enter).
In there make sure the "Ryzen Balanced Power Plan" is choosen.
After that click on "Change plan settings"
Then Change "Advanced power settings"
Now in the next small Window that show up look for "Processor power management"
In there set the "Minimum Processor State" to some number between 5% and 20% (I have my R5 3600 in 5%).

If the number was like 90%, then you can try and check the idle temps again, maybe they are a bit better now.

But as others said already, those numbers of yours looks like reasonable numbers to mee too (I'm not so sure about the 53°C of the Ryzen 7 2700X in prime95, that does not sound right, unless the case is really very well ventilated compared to the system with the R5 3600X).

Cheers