News Ryzen 3700X and 3900X Shortages Still Persist Almost Two Months After Launch

Aug 26, 2019
First, thank you for posting some news about this. I am in the USA and I have been trying to buy a 3900x since the July 7th launch. This has gone far beyond "high demand" at this point and I am concerned that their are production / supply chain issues on AMD's side they are trying to keep quite. We are almost at September already and you may as well just buy the 3950x whenever that is available, if ever. If this isn't a paper launch, I am not sure what is. Please keep holding AMD accountable for this delay. An explanation to all those that pre-ordered a CPU is in order.

Reactions: dalef

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
There's no shortage of 3700x. That's completely false, and no, AMD is not artificially constraining supply. The 3900x however is mostly going to those who preorder. It's not available otherwise except the first week I snagged one.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

alan.campbell99

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017
At least one of the retailers down here seems to have a good stock of 3700X. What is in fact lowstock is the motherboard I ended up choosing, an Aorus X570 Elite.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Some places do seem to be low on 3700x stock, but there are still some around.
Actually these are the popular cpu mostly Ryzen 7 3700X and 3900X are out of stock...but they decided leave it "In stock" on their website until you buy it will tell you something it being back ordered...basically meaning it will take longer to come

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I went ahead and bought a 3700X right after they were released and am very happy with my purchase. I had considered buying the 3900X, but since I mainly game with my PC, there just wasn't a need to buy it. I'm glad I saved that extra $170 as I eventually ended up buying the G.Skill Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz CL14 kit ;-)

For those worrying about the availability of the 3900X, have patience. When the 3950X is released later in September, there will be a surge of 3900X CPUs for sale since they will come from bins of CPUs that have one or more bad cores that make them fall short of the necessary 16 cores to be binned as a 3950X.

I got my 3900x last month directly from AMD. I signed up for the notification, when it emailed me, I was luckily right next to my computer and ordered it. Then I checked 10 minutes later and it was sold out again. You have to be quick, they sell out in less than 10 minutes.

Well the 3900x is a higher binned processor compared to the rest of the lineup. It has to get the boost clock up to 4.6ghz. So as a bell curve, it will have much lower yields than something like a 3600 which will likely be the peak of the bell curve and the 3900x at the lowest.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I think the stocking problems are limited to the web stores. Resellers appear to be buying up specific Ryzen CPUs and then trying to scalp them for easy money. Amazon, Newegg, Ebay, and others show price distortion. I'm not seeing stock problems at the local Micro Center or Best Buy. If you're willing to physically visit a store, then you can get the chips at MSRP or less.

Actually these are the popular cpu mostly Ryzen 7 3700X and 3900X are out of stock...but they decided leave it "In stock" on their website until you buy it will tell you something it being back ordered...basically meaning it will take longer to come
Some of the less-popular online stores do that, but I'm pretty sure Newegg doesn't, and they have it available at retail price. The 3700X has been available most of the time since it launched, so I'm not sure a "3700X shortage" is entirely accurate just because some resellers think they can flip a popular product at a higher price.

The 3900X sure, but I suspect AMD may be conserving better-binned chiplets for the soon to be released 3950X and its server parts. It makes sense to give the 3950X priority over the 3900X, since they both use the same number of chiplets, but the 3950X is priced $250 more due to having all of its cores enabled. And ultimately, all of these $500+ desktop processors are niche products, so they may not have wanted to build up an excessively large stockpile of 3900X's in advance.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
3700X looks available everywhere.
MemoryExpress (major retailer/etailer in Canada): https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77404
In stock and in 2nd position behind the 3600 in terms of sales - so that means their rate of sale for both these is higher than any Intel CPU at the moment. Demand is high and stock is good on those two parts.

The 3900X is a different story -- when it launched it held the number one spot (same site, sorted by sales) for a couple weeks - that means they were selling more of this than the 3600 until it went out of stock. That means demand for this was higher than the 3600 - which we know has very high demand - so I think the demand for the 3900x is very high. Higher than people might be thinking ...

I asked in store at Memory Express about the 3900X being out of stock and the guy said that if I want one, just place an order. He said they are coming in steadily but just not as fast as there is demand. I can see that on their website the 3900X it is right next to the 9600k in order of sales - so they are at least getting enough coming in to sell at the same rate as the demand is for the 9600k.

So in summary:
-seems to be no issues on the 3700X supply
-3900x seems to have very high demand and current sales at Memory Express show it on par with 9600k - which means stock is obviously coming in regularly, and considering the 3900x was the top selling CPU in the first few weeks after launch, before the shortage, means demand for this CPU is actually very high.

I personally am just waiting to see if there will be a 3900 non X part coming this fall, and I'll be getting myself one of those two depending on how that scenario pans out.

Last edited:

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Well the 3900x is a higher binned processor compared to the rest of the lineup. It has to get the boost clock up to 4.6ghz. So as a bell curve, it will have much lower yields than something like a 3600 which will likely be the peak of the bell curve and the 3900x at the lowest.

Yeah but according to some recent news (or was it speculations? Can't recall exactly ...) only ONE core on the entire chip needs to be able to hit that frequency - it looks like claimed boost clocks works on one specific core only and the rest boost to some other lower frequencies.

Take with a grain of salt though I can't recall if this was confirmed.

Aug 26, 2019
It took a bit of patience in checking Amazon and Newegg, but finally saw the 3900X in stock at Amazon about 10 days ago and jumped on it at the non-gouged $499.99 price. Coming from a 1700 it has been a great upgrade, and running on my Crosshair VI Hero X370 based motherboard without problems.

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Absolutely think this is a demand issue more than issues with manufacturing although obviously AMD's inability to scale up their manufacturing yield is evident here. I don't know what person is building with Intel right now. AMD has more or less swept up the enthusiast crowd whole. Recent lack of announcements and rumors indicating negative expectations for Intel have made it even more clear AMD is the build choice at the moment. Also, there was a lot of hype surrounding Zen 2 and when it was confirmed it was the real deal, a whole lot of pent up demand was unleashed I think. I feel very fortunate I got a hold of a 3900x at Microcenter complete with a deeply discounted 470x board and combo discount.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Both models are currently in stock with some Swedish retailers, and more have the 3900X marked as "incoming" in less than two weeks.
Well the 3900x is a higher binned processor... So as a bell curve, it will have much lower yields...
Higher binned, yes, but not necessarily "high", and therefore they might even be in better supply.

The top performers go to Epyc, then we have Threadripper, then the 3950X.
So fairly close to the middle of the bell curve come the chiplets for Ryzen 3900X and Ryzen 7s.

Mar 20, 2019
AMD's Ryzen 3700X and 3900X continue to experience shortages at retail, leading to inflated eBay pricing.

Ryzen 3700X and 3900X Shortages Still Persist Almost Two Months After Launch : Read more

. I suspect beyond the initial rollout (which saw a huge demand) AMD simply isn't explicitly making the 3900x, especially with the 3950x right around the corner. Think about it.... The 3950x is going to be the top processor...During manufacturing, ones that don't meet the 3950x will be sold as the 3900x... Why would AMD spend cycles explicitly making the 3900x if they can make the 3950x that sells for a lot more that doesn't really cost that much more to make?