[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700X Idling at 4.3Ghz

Mangotango

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hi,

I just upgraded to a Ryzen 3700X from an I7 6700, my old i7 used to downclock itself to like 900mhz when it was idle and the temps would drop nice and low, like the mid 30's.

With my Ryzen 7, that doesnt seem to happen, no matter what I try, the CPU always stays between 3.6ghz and 4.3ghz even when idle.
I've messed with the power settings and set the min cpu usage to 5% and it still doesnt downclock - I have an Asus A320M motherboard.

ImgUrLink of my Core Temp readings

I'm not hugely worried about temps, it sits at around 48'c when its not doing anything, even at 3.6Ghz - I just wondered why it's not downclocking for energy saving/temp reduction.

Am I missing something or is this just normal operation for Ryzen CPU's?

Thanks.

Solution
Don't use Core Temp for that cpu, period. Use either Ryzen Master or HWINFO.
Other monitoring programs will unintentionally 'wake up' the dormant cores, causing the issue you're currently seeing.

Also, restore those power settings you've changed.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't use Core Temp for that cpu, period. Use either Ryzen Master or HWINFO.
Other monitoring programs will unintentionally 'wake up' the dormant cores, causing the issue you're currently seeing.

Also, restore those power settings you've changed.

Solution

michael.stenlund

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
Hi! Updating this as people like myself still run this great CPU in 2023.
First of all, the CPU jumping between lower values and max values is perfectly normal and is called power-save technology.

OP, I wanted to let you know that I have been experimenting with the Ryzen 7 3700X processor and have it running stable at 100% at 1.4volt and 4.350Ghz.

Try 4.35Ghz overclock with a good cooler. I use a Fractal Design AIO 3-fan cooler where the added fan adds an extra percentage of cooling the chip. The chip runs hot, between 95-100c stable, and even though this is not the recommended max: Recommended is 95deg C, I find it stable and it rarely runs at 100% with my work.

A note: If I had run 100% the entire day with the amount of calculations it would use, I would clock a bit cooler.

Give it a try!
P.S. Emergency power shut-off on my motherboard is 108deg C, tested and confirmed.

Have a great 2023 year!
Exsosus
System builder