Question Ryzen 3700x multiplier stopped reaching 44x

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
When I checked a couple of weeks ago my CPU clock multiplier was still going to 44x and with my bus speed that is 99.8 MHz it was giving a 4.392 GHz max boost frequency, so everything was normal. But yesterday I noticed that it doesn't reach 44 anymore and stops at 43.75, giving a max boost of 4.366 GHz. I know it's almost noting and I don't see any performance difference but I still want to know why it's doing that (could be a sign of other problems).

I tried a BIOS update, I installed a newer AMD chipset driver (and tried an old one too), lowered my ram frequency, closed every possible background program but nothing works and the clock speed keeps maxing out at 4.66 GHz with the 43.75 multiplier.

I first thought it could be a power issue since I installed some more RGB stuff recently but if I was so close to my PSU limit I would get much more trouble than that and everything else works just fine. The only other configuration change I can think of is the Windows 10 update I got last week. Could it be that? Thanks in advance for any hints guys.

My specs are:

Ryzen 3700x
Asus Rog Crosshair Hero VII
Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 16 GB (running at 3733 MHz)
EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe
Corsair CX650M PSU

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
And why should I do that? I tried a PSU calculator and it says that I need 500 W (recommended) so 650 W is more than enough. I might want to change anyway to be future proof (looks like next gen graphic cards will be more power consuming) but for the moment there is no reason for upgrading. And for the records, a power issue would not limit my max boost frequency without also causing crashes and reboots and that never happens to me, not even under full workload or gaming.

By the way my max boost issue seems to be intermittent. The 44x multiplier comes back time to time now. Maybe it's just caused by some Windows background tasks running and preventing full boost time to time so my fear of more serious hidden issues is probably unfunded.