[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x On x370?

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
Was just wondering if anyone knows the defect of using a 3700x on a x370 mobo.

If there is a massive defect should I go for a x470 board? Because X570 is just so expensive.

Current mobo is gigabyte gaming k5 x370 running 1600x.

Solution
Lol, there's no reason you shouldn't run a 3700X on a x370 gaming k5.
TPU just did a comparison between x470 vs x570 boards and the performance differences were within the margin of error.
Only real difference was that the x470 used much less power.

And speaking of power...
power-stress.png

Yeah... The 3700x uses less power than the 1600x so the power delivery most definitely will NOT be a problem.
X370 is not a good choice. Even for Ryzen 2000 series I wouldn't recommend it. Other than the lack of a few extra power phases and PCI 4.0, as well as lacking the higher default 3200mhz memory suppport out of the box, there is no reason you can't use X470 and I would recommend doing so because the price of those boards is beyond comprehension right now and should be fully boycotted IMO.

TPU just did a comparison between x470 vs x570 boards and the performance differences were within the margin of error.

And speaking of power...
power-stress.png

Yeah... The 3700x uses less power than the 1600x so the power delivery most definitely will NOT be a problem.

Solution
To begin with, I was only referencing that data sheet to show the power phases. The fact that it is or isn't suitable for an overclock is a matter of opinion, in this case, raisinjohn's. While I appreciate his efforts, I don't agree that any of the four phase boards, especially those without doublers like that one, are suitable. Will they work, sure. But personally it seems like pretty much EVERY four phase board I've seen used with any of the 8 core parts, 1st or 2nd gen, have had issues of one kind or another.

But hey, you can certainly run with it. You don't LOSE anything by trying. Worst case scenario you still have to buy a board anyway. Nothing lost there. Best case, it works ok, but I'd pay particular attention to monitoring the VRM temperatures and keep an eye out for anything that resembling unexplained drops in FPS or throttling, because it probably will if you don't have very good and substantial case airflow or direct cooling from a top down or home brewed VRM cooler.

Also, you still don't resolve the problems with memory compatibility, which means you'll probably end up running much slower memory speeds and possibly higher timings, than you would with the same hardware on X470 or X570. But it's probably worth trying first, because maybe you don't have any problems at all since you already have the board.

Reactions: Viralology

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015

And speaking of power...
power-stress.png

Exactly what I was thinking. I have tried overclocking my 1600x before but it practically would just brick my system the second I tried pretty much anything. I believe that was just because of the cpu its self. Also not a huge fan of this gigabyte board. The app center sucks on it.

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
To begin with, I was only referencing that data sheet to show the power phases. The fact that it is or isn't suitable for an overclock is a matter of opinion, in this case, raisinjohn's. While I appreciate his efforts, I don't agree that any of the four phase boards, especially those without doublers like that one, are suitable. Will they work, sure. But personally it seems like pretty much EVERY four phase board I've seen used with any of the 8 core parts, 1st or 2nd gen, have had issues of one kind or another.

But hey, you can certainly run with it. You don't LOSE anything by trying. Worst case scenario you still have to buy a board anyway. Nothing lost there. Best case, it works ok, but I'd pay particular attention to monitoring the VRM temperatures and keep an eye out for anything that resembling unexplained drops in FPS or throttling, because it probably will if you don't have very good and substantial case airflow or direct cooling from a top down or home brewed VRM cooler.

Also, you still don't resolve the problems with memory compatibility, which means you'll probably end up running much slower memory speeds and possibly higher timings, than you would with the same hardware on X470 or X570. But it's probably worth trying first, because maybe you don't have any problems at all since you already have the board.

Okay, so my I am currently using a H100I as a cooler, as well as 2 intakes and 2 exhaust fans. I am not 100 percent sure if thats enough but I am trying ahahaha. Also, I do have a corsair vengence 3200 mhz kit and I have been running that for almost 2 and 1/2 years with little to no problems. I have no clue why that is, it just worked for me from the start. I believe that is what I am going to do though. I already ordered the cpu. If things do not go well I can always upgrade my board.

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
your motherboard will do fine, but if you will overclock the 3700x that might be a problem.PS( you will also need a bios update to the motherboard)

Yeah I do not know if I will try to overclock or not. I am currently in the works of updating my mobo. This stupid app center bs that gigabyte is using is terrible. App center will not even open.

Jul 9, 2019
I'm curious to know, how well would a 3700X perform on a Crosshair VI Hero X370 (higher end older chipset)? The only OC I plan on doing is to 4.5ghz from 4.4ghz so I can get 3800X performance. Other specs are 2133Mhz DDR4 I plan to OC since I dont have the budget for additional 16gb 3200 ram.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm curious to know, how well would a 3700X perform on a Crosshair VI Hero X370 (higher end older chipset)? The only OC I plan on doing is to 4.5ghz from 4.4ghz so I can get 3800X performance. Other specs are 2133Mhz DDR4 I plan to OC since I dont have the budget for additional 16gb 3200 ram.
Have you read any reviews of overclocking Ryzen 3K? Manual OC is limited and only helps for heavily threaded apps (may actually hurt lightly threaded apps like gaming because all core OC achievable is usually lower than max boost clocks), and PBO doesn't seem to do much either. If you meant you want to OC to manually OC to 4.5 GHz (implying all cores), that isn't happening.

E.g. read the "Our Overclocking Efforts" section.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-4.html

To answer your question, there will likely be little to no performance difference between your current board, any other X370, or a X570. At least not based on the current state of Ryzen 3K clock speeds.

Reactions: DarkFamiliarity
Jul 9, 2019
Have you read any reviews of overclocking Ryzen 3K? Manual OC is limited and only helps for heavily threaded apps (may actually hurt lightly threaded apps like gaming because all core OC achievable is usually lower than max boost clocks), and PBO doesn't seem to do much either. If you meant you want to OC to manually OC to 4.5 GHz (implying all cores), that isn't happening.

E.g. read the "Our Overclocking Efforts" section.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-4.html

To answer your question, there will likely be little to no performance difference between your current board, any other X370, or a X570. At least not based on the current state of Ryzen 3K clock speeds.

Awesome, thank you for the information. Since no 3800X samples have been released yet, I would assume there is no info on whether the 3700X can be brought up to 3800X performance. The OC I was looking to do was a slight increase of single core clock speed like on the 3800X. Not sure if I understand whether that slight OC will harm performance or can be done automatically using the Crosshair VI's bios settings or Ryzen Master. Thank you.