Question Ryzen 3800x gaming PC in Corsair 380T portable case ?

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

My friend built his own gaming PC as follows
Ryzen 7 3800X stock speed & stock AMD HSF
Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI ITX mobo
2 * 16GB DDR4
Galax RTX 2080 Ti 11GB
Corsair Graphite Series 380T Portable Mini-ITX Case
Sata SSD

He says that after a certain amount of time playing games the fans will get noiser and noiser then the screen goes black and he has to restart the PC. He has underclocked the gfx card and says it lasted longer but still got the black screen after a while. Straightaway this made me think its an overheating issue so I ran Prime95 and the CPU went straight up to 95C (the max T Junction from AMD website) and the speed throttled back from 4.1GHz to around 3.9GHz.

I replaced the thermal paste as it looked dry and crusty with some Noctua thermal paste and with the motherboard outside the case it has brought the temperature down to 91C @ 3.94 - 3.96GHz, so a slight improvement, but it still seems to high to me.
I have looked on the web and found this for 3800X
Idle 34 - 39C
Stress test 81 - 84C

As soon as i start Prime95 the CPU fan jumps up to max speed of 3000rpm as expected
People seem to say the stock cooler is good enough but this one doesnt seem to be.

Also. the case has 2 fans, one at the front and one at the back, (my friend said they came pre installed) but when I looked at them they are both set to blow air into the case which seems odd to me as I would expect the front one to be an intake the back one to be an exhaust and this is backed up by all the pictures of this case i could find on the web, so i have changed the back fan around to be an exhaust now.

Can anyone recommend a better cooler that will fit in this case?
It can take a 240mm water cooled radiator but I did read not all fit, but it didnt give any specific details.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in that build. As a side note, what BIOS version is your friend on for his motherboard? If you look into the marketing material, here, for the case you'll see that the rear fan is set to exhaust the air from inside the case while the front is set to intake air into the case. Try flipping the rear fan and you should be seeing better temps.

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
It's an Antec HCG 850
Latest Bios 50e

I have changed the fan around but havent put the motherboard back in the case yet. I doubt it will make much difference because like I said outside the case its still running at 91C and as the case is basically open holes the airflow through the case is going to be all over the place.

I forgot to say before when it was all in the case I connected up a 12cm fan and pointed it directly at the HSF area and it made no difference to the CPU temp at all, stayed at 95C.

I'll update after reassembling but think I need to look for a better cooler

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
After reassembling inside the case as expected its still hitting 95C pretty damn quick on Prime95, this time it might be throttling the speed a little slower & not as much but that's the only benefit.

I have Prime95 set to max heat but I would have thought the stock cooler would do a better job, it seems to get good reviews online

Time to look at other cooling options