[SOLVED] Ryzen 3900X won't load Windows 10. BIOS updated on old mobo

Nov 6, 2019
Okay, got my trusty ASRock AB350M all updated and ready to go with my current processor installed (Ryzen 5 1400) and went to swap them out.

Power on. Hear a series of short clicks, couple second pause, same clicks, fan kicks on and boot screen loads. Hit F2 and processor shows up in BIOS but Windows will not load if I go past boot scren. Just powers down. Tossed the old chip in and boots like magic.

Only thing I'm doing wonky is using the existing cooler from the 5 on it until the retention arms I carelessly threw away when I first got the mobo come in the mail.

Solution
:) I hear ya on the slow upgrade path, I'm the same!

As, i said, I don't think it's the cooler, although if the new wraith is there, bang it on to be sure. The better cooler may push more air down on the mobo VRM's which could help.

Sadly, I think it may just be the mobo, not taking kindly to the 3900x. Spied this looking around : https://www.techspot.com/review/1872-ryzen-9-on-older-motherboards/

Check out bios 5.9 as done in the article. Do a CMOS clear after bios update, and see if that gets it going.

Edit: I know it's the Pro4, but it's close enough in terms of build components
Which bios? Seems 5.40 is the stable one for that CPU.

Can't see it being the cooler as the problem. But with that said, I'm just scratching my head why paired the two in the first place. The VRM's on the B350 although they might get by, they are not really designed for those high end chips. It's a matter of time before they and your mobo go. Maybe look at some extra cooling to add in there along with an appropriate cooler for the 3900x, when you get it up and running.

Nov 6, 2019
Which bios? Seems 5.40 is the stable one for that CPU.

Can't see it being the cooler as the problem. But with that said, I'm just scratching my head why paired the two in the first place. The VRM's on the B350 although they might get by, they are not really designed for those high end chips. It's a matter of time before they and your mobo go. Maybe look at some extra cooling to add in there along with an appropriate cooler for the 3900x, when you get it up and running.

5.40 is where I'm at, yup.

Replace my mobo and I have to replace a case. Trying to make incremental upgrades here instead of being committed to another $200. At that point, I might as well buy a cheap GPU and have a second station.

Oh God, now I'm thinking about building a second tower...

EDIT: I have the Wraith just sitting here waiting to go, but you think it could use extra cooling on top of that? I'm not planning on overclocking.

:) I hear ya on the slow upgrade path, I'm the same!

As, i said, I don't think it's the cooler, although if the new wraith is there, bang it on to be sure. The better cooler may push more air down on the mobo VRM's which could help.

Sadly, I think it may just be the mobo, not taking kindly to the 3900x. Spied this looking around : https://www.techspot.com/review/1872-ryzen-9-on-older-motherboards/

Check out bios 5.9 as done in the article. Do a CMOS clear after bios update, and see if that gets it going.

Edit: I know it's the Pro4, but it's close enough in terms of build components

Solution
Power on. Hear a series of short clicks, couple second pause, same clicks, fan kicks on and boot screen loads. Hit F2 and processor shows up in BIOS but Windows will not load if I go past boot scren. Just powers down. Tossed the old chip in and boots like magic.

I also think the B350m Pro4 should 'hold' a 3900x well enough. At least, so long as you don't do anything crazy like all-core overclocking it. Which is highly discouraged anyways.

Does your board/new BIOS recognize all the drives with the CPU? Do you have EFI booting disabled by setting it up in CSM mode?

I know you don't want to...but may have to do a clean/fresh install of Windows. Most people recommend it anyway when doing such a major upgrade as even if it does boot you frequently wind up with annoying stability problems that make you wonder just what's happening...is it hardware? or software?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead