[SOLVED] Ryzen 3900xt CCD/CCX need guidance

Solidsnake07

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2013
Ive tried pbo,llc and undervolting all of which havent helped however after much confusion and digging I need guidance on the limitations of CCD overclocking. I finally know where to start I couldnt find anything on google and the only guides where for different brand motherboards. If possible i would like to do this in my bios and not ryzen master. The clocks i went for are after monitoring HWinfo64 for a few hours.

The first image shows my bios and a old settings, I tried CCD0@4.55ghz/CCD1@4.3ghz at 1.28v/1.35v both booted to windows when using cinebench the system crashed. Second attempt was CCD0@4.5ghz/CCD1@auto 1.28v windows booted gotta further in cinebench before a crash.

First question can i overclock ccd0 for instance and leave ccd1 on auto?

Second question If i want my cpu to last at least 5yrs on overclock whats the max voltage i could use? I previously ran a overclocked 6700k@4.5ghz for over 4years so I want the same lifespan.

Third question after a failed overclock windows will try system repair, I either decline it or do a another restart and then everything is fine is this normal? Might it be that the moment i crash regardless of a bluescreen post or not i instantly press the reset button? This turns me off trying to overclock.

View: https://imgur.com/1rQkBWS

View: https://imgur.com/x6IS9a5

View: https://imgur.com/NFDvr0s

Solution
Honestly I don't think overclocking manually is worth it much with that processor. With an all-cores approach for general testing, 4.4GHz with 1.325V was the highest stable thing I could get working. Anything higher was always crashing even with 1.38V etc.. And while that gives a tremendous performance increase vs. PBO in an all-cores test like Cinebench, you actually lose performance in games and other tasks with less cores because PBO goes way beyond 4.5GHz in those scenarios. In my opinion the AMD auto overclocking is just more efficient for general usage and it's also tremendously safer because it varies the voltages to avoid degradation. You will get all sorts of number recommendations for actual "safe voltages" that range from...

Solidsnake07

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2013
Did you ever see any article or review that managed to get the 3900xt to 4.5 all core running cinebench??
For the 3900x top clocks were at around 4.2 and only for a very small number of chips,don't expect the xt to go 300Hz above that.

Ive seen a few people mention they hit even higher then 4.5ghz, however seen a lot more getting different ccd overclockss to 4.5ghz around the web been at this for a couple of weeks trying to understand it. During gaming i see all cores hitting 4.3ghz-4.4ghz so its a matter of learning how to do this i would prefer a constant overclock and safe voltage if possible.

Ive seen a few people mention they hit even higher then 4.5ghz, however seen a lot more getting different ccd overclockss to 4.5ghz around the web been at this for a couple of weeks trying to understand it. During gaming i see all cores hitting 4.3ghz-4.4ghz so its a matter of learning how to do this i would prefer a constant overclock and safe voltage if possible.
Just to get into windows they get 4.5 just as you do as well,it only crashes as soon as you load it.
Gaming is a pretty light load and seeing some of the cores hit high numbers for small amounts of time is different from all cores being at 4.5 all the time while doing something much harder.

Sep 13, 2020
Why do you need all cores at 4,5 Ghz. Is there a sane reason other than Epeen?
If you need a 5+ Ghz for single core gaming or even multicore you should have bought an Intel 9900 KS.
Other than that. the 3900xt packs plenty of punch even if you do virtualization.
I run several Hyper V VMs in the back and the 24 threads allow for plenty of power all the while
gaming does not suffer.

Sep 5, 2020
Honestly I don't think overclocking manually is worth it much with that processor. With an all-cores approach for general testing, 4.4GHz with 1.325V was the highest stable thing I could get working. Anything higher was always crashing even with 1.38V etc.. And while that gives a tremendous performance increase vs. PBO in an all-cores test like Cinebench, you actually lose performance in games and other tasks with less cores because PBO goes way beyond 4.5GHz in those scenarios. In my opinion the AMD auto overclocking is just more efficient for general usage and it's also tremendously safer because it varies the voltages to avoid degradation. You will get all sorts of number recommendations for actual "safe voltages" that range from 1.2V at most to 1.38 at most, now who to believe? I don't think the miniscule possible performance improvements are worth it honestly.

If single core performance is also a concern for you and/or you are mostly trying to optimize for games, make sure you don't just run cinebench on all cores to test the performance. You might actually decrease your game performance although the cinebench test results are 10% better or so.

Solution

Solidsnake07

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2013
Honestly I don't think overclocking manually is worth it much with that processor. With an all-cores approach for general testing, 4.4GHz with 1.325V was the highest stable thing I could get working. Anything higher was always crashing even with 1.38V etc.. And while that gives a tremendous performance increase vs. PBO in an all-cores test like Cinebench, you actually lose performance in games and other tasks with less cores because PBO goes way beyond 4.5GHz in those scenarios. In my opinion the AMD auto overclocking is just more efficient for general usage and it's also tremendously safer because it varies the voltages to avoid degradation. You will get all sorts of number recommendations for actual "safe voltages" that range from 1.2V at most to 1.38 at most, now who to believe? I don't think the miniscule possible performance improvements are worth it honestly.

If single core performance is also a concern for you and/or you are mostly trying to optimize for games, make sure you don't just run cinebench on all cores to test the performance. You might actually decrease your game performance although the cinebench test results are 10% better or so.

Yeah thats what ive come to understand from all the digging Ive done... Think better tech in water cooling could help in the future?

Last edited: