[SOLVED] Ryzen 3900XT - CPUID shows 210W why??

maxima120

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Ive build new box. Asus Strix X570-E and Ryzen 3900XT. The BIOS is at default - no overclock. RAM DDR4 3200 again no o/c

So I read the max TDP is 105W so I bought Dark Rock 4 (not pro), which said to handle up to 200W. 170W

Now I run various fan setups and CPU temp goes up to 91C using powerMAX for 5min.

HWMonitor shows 211W max. 170W. I hate take it apart and buy another cooler. Is there a simpler way? Can I throttle max boost? Or perhaps just ignore it?

Last edited:
Solution
The PPT (package power tracking, or basically the power limit) of Ryzen processors are actually higher than their rated TDP. Though a cursory glance on the internet tells me the 3900XT has a factory PPT of 142W.

Anyway, you can set the PPT down to something more manageable. There's probably a good sweet spot as well that's lower than the factory PPT that allows for both lower power consumption and higher sustained multi-core performance. Otherwise a lower PPT to an extent usually doesn't effect most workloads.

maxima120

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Nope. Same there - Ryzen Master 170W 91C

EDIT: thanks for Ryzen Master tip (its my first AMD machine). I downclocked main freq from 3800 to 3750 and it now shows 135W 82C.

Last edited:
The PPT (package power tracking, or basically the power limit) of Ryzen processors are actually higher than their rated TDP. Though a cursory glance on the internet tells me the 3900XT has a factory PPT of 142W.

Anyway, you can set the PPT down to something more manageable. There's probably a good sweet spot as well that's lower than the factory PPT that allows for both lower power consumption and higher sustained multi-core performance. Otherwise a lower PPT to an extent usually doesn't effect most workloads.

Solution