Question Ryzen 3900XT Manual Overclock Voltages....

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
New to this cpu and just trying to get a feel, info on what others are getting with the 3900xt and manually overclocking.

So I tried 4.4ghz @ 1.32v with LLC2 for gaming and while playing CoD the temps never got above 63 (occasional spike to 67). Ran Cinebench R20 and scored 7848 but the temp did hit 80 which isn't too bad I don't think for that test. Idles at 37 degrees (it idled at 33 degrees with it all on auto). No idea if any of this is good or bad, or if that R20 Cinebench score is good nor bad as well.

I don't leave this pc on 24/7 and all I do is game (CoD/WoW mostly) so my question is 1.32v for gaming safe for daily use?

My Rig:

Ryzen 3900XT @4.4ghz
Asus x570 TUF Gaming Plus Wifi (2607 BIOS)
Noctua NH-U12A
Corsair Vengeance 32gigs DDR 4000 CAS 18
Gigabyte Aorus NVME PCIE 4.0 2TB M2
RTX 2070 Super
Creative Soundblaster Z
Windows 10 x64

Sep 5, 2020
I would recommend ditching the overclocking and relying on the PBO instead with those values. It will go beyond your 4.4GHz in scenarios not using all cores (so all-core benchmarks are a bad indicator of your gaming performance changes), so for gaming you should have better boosts compared to a fixed 4.4GHz at 1.32V. Additionally the voltage can be controlled by the sensors instead, so you're better off regarding longevity of the CPU.
Your values were exactly where I ended up as well with my manual attempts, but in the end it wasn't worth it for gaming, and other communities even say any constant voltage above 1.2V is potentially causing degradation.

You can go to the settings of Cinebench and reduce the cores there to verify - in a single core test my CPU immediately went above 4.5GHz for example. Also be aware that Cinebench tends to start in a lower than normal priority, putting that to normal or higher could give a better indicator of a full workload.

Last edited:
... so my question is 1.32v for gaming safe for daily use?
Any fixed overclock is risky on Ryzen 3000 CPU's unless done extremely carefully, after determining the processor's FIT values. 1.32V really isn't that low voltage when many times the processor will go to 1.275 (and lower) to protect itself during heavy processing. I'd not want to run that way for long, not with an 'XT' processor that was top binned out of the best, matured process, chips to get highest boosting on lower voltages and that's what you paid for.

I agree, do not set a fixed voltage on the processor and instead use PBO instead to get best boosts in lightly threaded workloads, like most games are.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
I would recommend ditching the overclocking and relying on the PBO instead with those values. It will go beyond your 4.4GHz in scenarios not using all cores (so all-core benchmarks are a bad indicator of your gaming performance changes), so for gaming you should have better boosts compared to a fixed 4.4GHz at 1.32V. Additionally the voltage can be controlled by the sensors instead, so you're better off regarding longevity of the CPU.
Your values were exactly where I ended up as well with my manual attempts, but in the end it wasn't worth it for gaming, and other communities even say any constant voltage above 1.2V is potentially causing degradation.

You can go to the settings of Cinebench and reduce the cores there to verify - in a single core test my CPU immediately went above 4.5GHz for example. Also be aware that Cinebench tends to start in a lower than normal priority, putting that to normal or higher could give a better indicator of a full workload.

That is the reason why I went to manual overclocking, was because it wasn't boosting past 4.2ghz with pbo enabled with all max settings. For cinebench it was stuck at 3.96ghz and while playing CoD it was at 4.23ghz. The kicker is the voltages were at 1.38 with PBO handling the voltages.

The 1.32v voltage I set now is was just the start voltage for 4.4ghz, need to do more trials and start lowering it (if I can of course). My goal is to get down to at least 1.24-1.28v for the 4.3ghz minimum. If I can't achieve at least 4.3ghz with 1.24-1.28v then I would let PBO run and do its thing.

Sep 5, 2020
The kicker is the voltages were at 1.38 with PBO handling the voltages.

That's why drea mentioned it specifically - looking at the voltages during PBO can be very misleading as it might be in the 1.35 range or even 1.4+ and higher a lot of times, but the main point is when it needs to be lower, it can go lower.

Your values seem off though - just re-tested with my current settings and it gets up to 4.45 in tests with a single thread, 4.3 in tests with 4 threads and about 4.05 in all-core threads (Pretty sure it was 4.2 in tests I did a few days ago and 4.55 in single thread, maybe I changed some setting). No matter what you end up with in the end with the final overclocking, it will hardly be more than what PBO can boost on its own, and you sacrifice safety along with it. I mean it's your decision in the end, but we are getting into areas there where the changes are so miniscule (even if you might have a small performance boost in specific games) that it's not really worth it.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
So the 3900XT has a 4.7ghz single thread boost, and now you've fixed it to 4.4, but not everything you do takes advantage of the 4.4ghz fixed clock...
:pfff:

Not quiet exactly. For small super light tasks like opening up the browser, opening up explorer, etc then I saw it hit 4.6ghz from time to time. That means nothing to me since my primary thing is gaming, which I stated before it never got above 4.23ghz while playing games.

Now you would be technically right if they were boosting to 4.7ghz while gaming, but that just doesn't happen.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
That's why drea mentioned it specifically - looking at the voltages during PBO can be very misleading as it might be in the 1.35 range or even 1.4+ and higher a lot of times, but the main point is when it needs to be lower, it can go lower.

Your values seem off though - just re-tested with my current settings and it gets up to 4.45 in tests with a single thread, 4.3 in tests with 4 threads and about 4.05 in all-core threads (Pretty sure it was 4.2 in tests I did a few days ago and 4.55 in single thread, maybe I changed some setting). No matter what you end up with in the end with the final overclocking, it will hardly be more than what PBO can boost on its own, and you sacrifice safety along with it. I mean it's your decision in the end, but we are getting into areas there where the changes are so miniscule (even if you might have a small performance boost in specific games) that it's not really worth it.

What are your current settings?? I'm new to this and trying to learn everything I can. Whats your current rig if you dont mind me asking?

Sep 5, 2020
What are your current settings?? I'm new to this and trying to learn everything I can. Whats your current rig if you dont mind me asking?

I ended up doing a CMOS reset during my overclock attempts and left everything untouched apart from settings the DOCP profile for my Ram. Then just set the profile in Ryzen Master to Auto OC. I also updated the bios and downloaded the AMD drivers to set the Windows power profile to Ryzen high performance.

My system is pretty similar to yours, just with weaker Ram:
CPU: Ryzen 3900XT with Noctua NH-D15 in black
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB SSD, WDC WD20EARX-008FB0 2TB
GPU: Gainward RTX 2060 SUPER Ghost
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Everything is up to date (3 day old build).
Huh...
It's not even hitting 4.7ghz, but instead clocking like a 3900X... well, that's a bummer, and you paid extra for that chip too...

I bought the ram with infinity fabric in mind for more headroom.
Infinity Fabric automatically runs at 1:1 mode up until 3733mhz(hard limit). Any higher, and it switches to 2:1, which is worse.
Few samples can manually run the IF at 1:1 mode at 3800mhz.

Easier to underclock ram then it is to overclock it from my experience.
Ok, but is that really necessary when one could get a 3600 or 3733 kit and just run A-XMP/DOCP?

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
I ended up doing a CMOS reset during my overclock attempts and left everything untouched apart from settings the DOCP profile for my Ram. Then just set the profile in Ryzen Master to Auto OC. I also updated the bios and downloaded the AMD drivers to set the Windows power profile to Ryzen high performance.

My system is pretty similar to yours, just with weaker Ram:
CPU: Ryzen 3900XT with Noctua NH-D15 in black
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB SSD, WDC WD20EARX-008FB0 2TB
GPU: Gainward RTX 2060 SUPER Ghost
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S

Ah ok, that is one thing that I have no tried is that Auto OC from Ryzen Master. I have done the same with the Ryzen high performance power plan and the DOCP and also setting the infinity fabric to 1800 and the ram to 3600.

Curious though, what that Auto OC, is that something you set and just let it do its thing or some type of test? Sorry for the noob questions, but im completely new to this AMD stuffs.

Edit: Since you did a CMOS clear, is PBO disabled by default? I believe its on auto if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020
Ah ok, that is one thing that I have no tried is that Auto OC from Ryzen Master. I have done the same with the Ryzen high performance power plan and the DOCP and also setting the infinity fabric to 1800 and the ram to 3600.

Curious though, what that Auto OC, is that something you set and just let it do its thing or some type of test? Sorry for the noob questions, but im completely new to this AMD stuffs.

Edit: Since you did a CMOS clear, is PBO disabled by default? I believe its on auto if I remember correctly.

I'm not 100% sure regarding Auto OC to be perfectly honest. I just changed it and let it restart so that it always showed that the "Auto OC" setting is active whenever I fire up the program. Not sure if it is actually boosting anything apart from default, I was pretty tired of testing with all the restarts at that point :).

I think PBO was on auto, yeah, but as I quickly went over that setting to verify I cannot exclude that I've manually set it on again and just forgot about it.

E: Just changed it to "enabled" instead of auto, seems to give it a little extra boost (or something is just off with my testing). Got into the 4.5GHz range again in the single thread test, 4.12 in all-core and 4.32 in a 4 thread test.

Last edited:

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
I'm not 100% sure regarding Auto OC to be perfectly honest. I just changed it and let it restart so that it always showed that the "Auto OC" setting is active whenever I fire up the program. Not sure if it is actually boosting anything apart from default, I was pretty tired of testing with all the restarts at that point :).

I think PBO was on auto, yeah, but as I quickly went over that setting to verify I cannot exclude that I've manually set it on again and just forgot about it.

So out of curiosity since I couldn't recall the exact stats I went full auto on everything and ran Cinebench r20 to check voltages and temps. While idled I saw the voltages go as low as .380 and the temp sat around 34 degrees. Below is while Cinebench R20 is being ran.

oTNHY2a.jpg

Sep 5, 2020

Maybe it's temperature-related. Snippet from mine (Sorry for the German :D):

View: https://imgur.com/VAcHECu

So same temp but I have higher voltages and Ghz...perhaps it's trying to stay around the 74° or something.

btw. see my edit above, it looks like "enabled" for PBO gives you a tiny extra boost.

Just to verify you did do a single core test with normal task priority for cinebench, is that right? In that case it doesn't seem to be temperature-related as I'm in the low 60's there.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
Maybe it's temperature-related. Snippet from mine (Sorry for the German :D):

View: https://imgur.com/VAcHECu

So same temp but I have higher voltages and Ghz...perhaps it's trying to stay around the 74° or something.

btw. see my edit above, it looks like "enabled" for PBO gives you a tiny extra boost.

Just to verify you did do a single core test with normal task priority for cinebench, is that right? In that case it doesn't seem to be temperature-related as I'm in the low 60's there.

This is what my Ryzen Master looks like. Honestly with Cinebench R20 whatever the base test is, is what I ran. The score was 7120 so I think thats an all core all thread test I believe.

hxt62sP.jpg

TRENDING THREADS