[SOLVED] Ryzen 3rd gen first post time. Please Help.

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
So I just got a Ryzen 5 3600 on a MSI B450 gaming pro carbon max wifi(compatible with ryzen 3rd gen out of the box) and 16 GB of 8x2 Corsair vengence LPX 3000mhz.

On the first boot I got stuck with the dram led lighting up solid on the motherboard. I let it stay for a maximum of 5 minutes before cutting power and starting to troubleshoot thinking something to be wrong.

Recently I got told that Ryzen 3rd gen has seriously bad memory compatibility issues and the first post might take upto 30 minutes.
How true is this? And should I have given more time than 5 mins to my pc to check if it posts?

System specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon max wifi
16 GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 Mhz
RTX 2070
Corsair CX 650 PSU

Last edited:
Solution
Have you flashed the BIOS without the CPU installed ? If you have a BIOS compatibility issue you can flash with only the power connected...no cpu should be installed while flashing the new BIOS.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
3rd gen Ryzens are quite flexible in terms of memory compatibility, better than previous generations. That should not be the issue here, unless you have defective memory.

Have you inspected the CPU for bent pins? Also, are you certain the memory is fully inserted (and locked) into the slots on the motherboard?

Reactions: Shraman Mitra
"Recently I got told that Ryzen 3rd gen has seriously bad memory compatibility issues and the first post might take up to 30 minutes. "

Simply not true at all. 3rd gen Ryzen has very good memory compatibility across the board and first post should be no different than any other post so about 30 seconds max. Memory support was only a real issue with 1st gen Ryzen due to immature BIOS optimizations.

If your BIOS is up to date to support the 3600 you might want to try setting memory voltage manually before attempting to run the XMP profile. Leave everything else stock...do not overclock and do not use features like game boost.

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
3rd gen Ryzens are quite flexible in terms of memory compatibility, better than previous generations. That should not be the issue here, unless you have defective memory.

Have you inspected the CPU for bent pins? Also, are you certain the memory is fully inserted (and locked) into the slots on the motherboard?
Checked the CPU and the pins are all fine. Also the memory is locked tight. I even built outside the case to rule out a Mobo short. Tried on a different known working mobo and psu, and tested the ram on a different intel system where it works. Hence I'm at a loss now.

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
"Recently I got told that Ryzen 3rd gen has seriously bad memory compatibility issues and the first post might take up to 30 minutes. "

Simply not true at all. 3rd gen Ryzen has very good memory compatibility across the board and first post should be no different than any other post so about 30 seconds max. Memory support was only a real issue with 1st gen Ryzen due to immature BIOS optimizations.

If your BIOS is up to date to support the 3600 you might want to try setting memory voltage manually before attempting to run the XMP profile. Leave everything else stock...do not overclock and do not use features like game boost.
Sadly I cannot even get into the bios. The cpu led flashes for a second after power on and then the dram led comes on and stays solid. I've kept it in this state for 5 mins before cutting off power.

InvalidError

Titan
Recently I got told that Ryzen 3rd gen has seriously bad memory compatibility issues and the first post might take upto 30 minutes.
Ryzen's memory compatibility has improved a lot since first-gen where it was a disaster but still isn't up to par with Intel.

Since the Pro Carbon Max has a button for BIOS flash, you may want to try putting the latest BIOS file for it on a thumb-drive and update BIOS. With some luck, there has been an update to improve memory compatibility between whatever the board shipped with and current version that will fix your no-boot issue.

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
Ryzen's memory compatibility has improved a lot since first-gen where it was a disaster but still isn't up to par with Intel.

Since the Pro Carbon Max has a button for BIOS flash, you may want to try putting the latest BIOS file for it on a thumb-drive and update BIOS. With some luck, there has been an update to improve memory compatibility between whatever the board shipped with and current version that will fix your no-boot issue.
Tried that too. The only thing I didn't try is a new set of ram with my ryzen build(even though my present set works perfectly with Intel) .
Or it might be a faulty memory controller in the CPU.

Shraman Mitra

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
Have you flashed the BIOS without the CPU installed ? If you have a BIOS compatibility issue you can flash with only the power connected...no cpu should be installed while flashing the new BIOS.
Since the motherboard comes with ryzen 3000 ready bios out of the box, will it still require an update to work?
I did not try to flash the bios without the CPU. I will try it then.