[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 af ? High temperature

Feb 12, 2020
Hello everybody
I just finished my PC build
It's Ryzen 5 1600 af ( wraith Stealth cooler)
Mobo AsRock b450 hdv
8gb ram (2×4) 2666
RX 570
SSD 240 GB
anyway
During the building I struggled a little bit when put the CPU cooler on the chip ( three times take it out then put it on ) and also accidentally touch the thermal paste on the cooler
So I have tested the pc all works fine the system works 👍 normal but,,,, I have noticed the CPU temperature is 39°-45° idle(( my room temp is setting on 25° air conditioning) and I run cinbenchmark R20 test and get the highest temperature during the test 66°
Also play Fortnite first 5+10 minutes 60° after 35min got 68° ( with no drop in the game FPS) just temperature rise
Is that normal or should I have change the thermal paste??
And is the Arctic MX-4 will be higher quality and performing better than pre-applied AMD thermal paste?? Thanks in advance for help

Solution
Amd/Intel sells cpus. The cpus are all unique, there isn't any 2 exactly alike because the silicon they are made from is unique, each has slightly to vastly different impurities and levels of impurities. This affects even stock voltages and settings, meaning 1 cpu might need 1.32v and another might need 1.38v to maintain stability. Intel/amd isn't about to test every single cpu manufactured for its exact voltage requirements, so instead they assign a blanket voltage like 1.42v that's covers every single possibility to guarantee stability.

What happens with overclocking is speeds go up, which inevitably raises temps. To combat the problem you lower the voltages until you loose stability. So you'd take that 1.42v and drop it (eventually)...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Temps look great for that cooler actually. Ryzen aren't Intel though. What you see for temp at idle is misleading. Intel reduces voltages and clicks on All cores, but keeps All cores active. So background tasks and other idle stuff gets split across every core, so All the cores have roughly a similar temp continually. Ryzens differ in that at idle, all the cores Except 1 are shut down fully, dead asleep. That one core does all the work of all the background and idle stuff. As a consequence of that it's at a higher load continuously, so sees a higher idle temp. What you see is the temp of just that one core, not the whole cpu. Making idle temps of 40-50°C absolutely normal. Anything less is a bonus.

Feb 12, 2020
Hello
Thanks all of you guys for reply
Mr. R_1 your CPU is overclock
Sorry I didn't mention that
My CPU is stock speed 3.2mhz
It's not overclock
That's the reason why I have posted this thread
I have seen many people ( included 1 of them is my friends ) use the same CPU with same cooler (wraith Stealth) and he also not overclock I just asked him today to do cinbenchmark R20 test
And he sent me the result

CPU PTS: 2752 (my CPU was getting 2598 )
Max temperature is (56°) ( my temp above 66° )
And also he used small case with no front intake airflow ( my case is cooler master mb500 has 4 fans (3 front+1 rear)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
my temps were higher at stock than they are with my overclock and a new cooler.
I failed to mention that, sorry. with a better cooler than the stock you can get lower temps.

my overclock runs cooler (-2Degrees C) Cinebench R20 than the stock cooler at stock.
Deepcool Gammax 400 LED.

just checked my OC notes,
with stock cooler at stock my temps were @ 2 degrees of the temps you posted

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd/Intel sells cpus. The cpus are all unique, there isn't any 2 exactly alike because the silicon they are made from is unique, each has slightly to vastly different impurities and levels of impurities. This affects even stock voltages and settings, meaning 1 cpu might need 1.32v and another might need 1.38v to maintain stability. Intel/amd isn't about to test every single cpu manufactured for its exact voltage requirements, so instead they assign a blanket voltage like 1.42v that's covers every single possibility to guarantee stability.

What happens with overclocking is speeds go up, which inevitably raises temps. To combat the problem you lower the voltages until you loose stability. So you'd take that 1.42v and drop it (eventually) to 1.32v.

End result is you'll generally see lower temps at faster speeds with a mild OC and regular stock cooling, it's only when you exceed the ratio and go for a more extreme OC that more voltage is required to do the work, so temps go back up and requires a better cooling solution.

Stock settings are not designed for the cpu to run cool, they are designed for any cpu to run. What your particular cpu needs is still a mystery until efforts are made to find its boundaries.

Going from a stock turbo of 3.8GHz @ 1.25v to a 4.3GHz all core OC @ 1.119v on my i7 dropped temps over 10°C.

Solution