[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 Low CPU & GPU Usage

May 10, 2022
Hi! Sorry for this thread it brings nothing to the table but is more of a plea for help.
Ryzen 5 1600 / Zotac AMP 1070ti / 32gb 3200mhz ram (Clocked at 2133mhz as it will bluescreen if XMP is enabled)

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that my CPU usage and GPU usage is very very low, single digit in some games (Mostly league of legends) and around 30%/70% in pubg
It wasn't like this before and I have done everything including completly wiping my ssd's clean and reinstalling everything, updating bios, updating new chipset and gpu drivers and reinstalling windows and I still have the same issue.
Heaven benchmarks uses 100% of both so I'm assuming it's a weird ass software bug of sorts? But everything ran fine until a week few weeks ago? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? My temps are low and I'm allowing the GPU to use 140% Power limit in msi after burner, I just don't get it.
My frame rates aren't capped, vsync is disabled, all my settings appear fine, what could I be missing?

Edit: I have a gigabyte X570 motherboard

Ty in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm running 4x8gb sticks, rated at 3200mhz, what's limiting them to 2400mhz? I'm assuming the first gen ryzen being picky with ram dies?
The memory controller on 1st gen Ryzen was garbage (for speed). Even Ryzen 5000 generally can't [reliably] reach as fast of RAM speeds as Intel, but they've certainly gotten better with each generation.

I just loaded a practice tool game of league and every core was around 20-60% in usage and my gpu hit a stunning peak of 12% usage.
never breaking 144hz when nothing is going on.
Yeah, LoL isn't very demanding, especially for an 1070Ti @ 1080p. You're almost always going to be limited by CPU. Perhaps even by some invisible 144FPS ceiling?

As for league settings, 1080p maxed out, running...
@ram speed - depending on if you have 2 or 4 sticks, 3000MHz is about the max you can expect, 2400Mhz with 4 sticks.

What are your frame rates in LoL? What resolution and quality settings. To be fair, LoL will run fine on a potato, a 1070Ti will have no issues.

What are your frame rates in Pubg? What resolution and quality settings. Pubg is buggy, but not terribly demanding.

CPU usage % is calculated by: # of threads loaded / # of threads available. Games generally utilize 4-8 threads, so going by CPU usage % typically isn't straighforward.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022
@ram speed - depending on if you have 2 or 4 sticks, 3000MHz is about the max you can expect, 2400Mhz with 4 sticks.

What are your frame rates in LoL? What resolution and quality settings. To be fair, LoL will run fine on a potato, a 1070Ti will have no issues.

What are your frame rates in Pubg? What resolution and quality settings. Pubg is buggy, but not terribly demanding.

CPU usage % is calculated by: # of threads loaded / # of threads available. Games generally utilize 4-8 threads, so going by CPU usage % typically isn't straighforward.

I'm running 4x8gb sticks, rated at 3200mhz, what's limiting them to 2400mhz? I'm assuming the first gen ryzen being picky with ram dies?
As for league settings, 1080p maxed out, running a stable 100fps until any combat starts at which point it can dip as low as 40 fps.

as for pubg im using 1080p high settings and have never dipped below 100 fps.

as for usage per core, i just loaded a practice tool game of league and every core was around 20-60% in usage and my gpu hit a stunning peak of 12% usage.

The memory controller on 1st gen Ryzen was garbage (for speed). Even Ryzen 5000 generally can't [reliably] reach as fast of RAM speeds as Intel, but they've certainly gotten better with each generation.

I just loaded a practice tool game of league and every core was around 20-60% in usage and my gpu hit a stunning peak of 12% usage.
Yeah, LoL isn't very demanding, especially for an 1070Ti @ 1080p. You're almost always going to be limited by CPU. Perhaps even by some invisible 144FPS ceiling?

As for league settings, 1080p maxed out, running a stable 100fps until any combat starts at which point it can dip as low as 40 fps.
Dips are obviously not desired. Unfortunately online gameplay adds additional CPU workload/stress because the CPU has to track/decrypt/relay everyone else's actions. I wouldn't expect a Ryzen 1600 to struggle for LoL though....strange. As shown by your low core # usage, it's not about having lots of cores, but how fast each core is. As an aside, I would suggest seeing if you can get 2400MHz or 2666MHz RAM to run stable.

as for pubg im using 1080p high settings and have never dipped below 100 fps.
So the machine functions normally for stuff besides LoL

Solution