Question Ryzen 5 1600 to 5600x asrock

Aug 7, 2021
Hi guys, maybe it's a noob question, but i'm very confused how to proceed.
I have an asrock b450 pro 4 with ryzen 5 1600 installed, i bought a new ryzen 5 5600x to upgrade but the page of asrock has this warning:

"*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system"

How to proceed? Should i install new bios with ryzen 5 1600 and after change the processor, is there a risk of bricking if I update with an incompatible processor for new bios?

Thanks in advance.

You should upgrade to BIOS ver. 4.5 or above for 5600x.

The disclaimer is merely for Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx series CPUs which are named Pinnacle, Raven, or Summit Ridge for desktop and laptop versions. Shouldn't be a problem with 5xxx series that you will install...

Zen series CPUs and APUs (released 2017)

Zen+ series CPUs and APUs (released 2018)

Zen 2 series CPUs and APUs (released 2019)

Zen 3 series CPUs and APUs (released 2020)

Last edited:
Reactions: Raulgcarvalho
Thanks in advance.
Some people have found it helpful to do iterative upgrades for Asrock boards. That means upgrading to all the in-between BIOS versions along the way. That can be a pain, but it might be the way to assure a fully successful upgrade.

At the very least read and follow the notes. I'd say iteratively update to the point they say not to for summit ridge (a 1600x if non-AF) or pinnacle ridge (a 1600x if AF). Then jump to the latest to get support for your Vermeer CPU.

Some people have found it helpful to do iterative upgrades for Asrock boards. That means upgrading to all the in-between BIOS versions along the way. That can be a pain, but it might be the way to assure a fully successful upgrade.

At the very least read and follow the notes. I'd say iteratively update to the point they say not to for summit ridge (a 1600x if non-AF) or pinnacle ridge (a 1600x if AF). Then jump to the latest to get support for your Vermeer CPU.
That might not work after ver 3.5 with that 1600, as the board doesn't have Flash BIOS option.

That might not work after ver 3.5 with that 1600, as the board doesn't have Flash BIOS option.
Exactly: that's why you have stop the iterative updates at the point Asrock says to stop for your CPU, as I stated. Then jump to the right one for a Vermeer (Ryzen 5000) CPU.

Asrock makes it so difficult, probably because of their non-standard BIOS structures. It may not be necessary, but since you often can't easily regress it's probably best to do it.

Aug 7, 2021
Currently my bios and cpu are compatible, it's a r5 1600 non f version, will it upgrade for newer bios using this Cpu? It will boot with new bios? Or after upgrade I should change for 5600x to work properly?

It can brick using a processor to update that is technically not supported with newer bios?

Currently my bios and cpu are compatible, it's a r5 1600 non f version, will it upgrade for newer bios using this Cpu? It will boot with new bios? Or after upgrade I should change for 5600x to work properly?

It can brick using a processor to update that is technically not supported with newer bios?

Assuming you mean it's on the latest BIOS for your current processor I'd go ahead and do the upate to the Vermeer BIOS.

Then shut down and change processor to the 5600X. Immediately do a CMOS reset, then boot the computer into BIOS. Then find the Restore Defaults setting and do that too. This is just to make sure it's ready with all default BIOS settings that are consistent for the new processor, even those you may never have touched.

It MIGHT run on the 1600 after the update. It's not supposed to but many people have reported at least basic operation on CPU's older than 3000 or 5000 processors, which it is designed and intended for.

Do not run the CPU on unsupported BIOS. That might brick the board or CPU or both. Do not use 5600x before upgrading to BIOS 4.5. Do not use 1600 after upgrading to 4.5. Use the current CPU to upgrade BIOS. Then change CPU and you should be good.

Aug 7, 2021
Thanks all for the quick response, now I'm more confident to do the process, I'm gonna upgrade for 5.0 version, following the warnings about drivers from asrock, then change Cpu and reset Cmos and Bios settings.

Nov 18, 2021
Thanks all for the quick response, now I'm more confident to do the process, I'm gonna upgrade for 5.0 version, following the warnings about drivers from asrock, then change Cpu and reset Cmos and Bios settings.
Did the upgrade work? I’m in pretty much an identical situation so were you able to upgrade smoothly? Also when did you clear cmos and reset bios?