Ryzen 5 1600 vs i5 6600k

Solution
Ryzen 5 1600 is similar to Intel's new 6 core i7 7800x in gaming (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw). So I would straight up go for the Ryzen.
6600k isn't a bad CPU either, it is just not as good as the Ryzen 5 because it only has 4 cores. It can make up for the lack of threads with higher clock speeds but that doesn't always work (see minimum frame rates in Metro Last Light), and you will have to always maintain a clean install of windows to avoid hiccups and frame rate dips with 6600k.

If you only game on your computer it would be relatively easy to keep it clean, for example, disable anti virus, remove all bloatware and disable windows indexer(they suddenly decide to run right in the middle of a game and sometimes cause...

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
At stock speeds, the i5 will be SLIGHTLY better for gaming all together. However if you overclock the 1600, it would push it to at least equal or above the performance level of the 6600k (since you have watercooling, this is viable).

I suggest you go Ryzen, due to the pure fact that even at stock speeds the performance loss in gaming will be minimal for a significant improvement in every other department.

danielthegreate

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Ryzen 5 1600 is similar to Intel's new 6 core i7 7800x in gaming (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw). So I would straight up go for the Ryzen.
6600k isn't a bad CPU either, it is just not as good as the Ryzen 5 because it only has 4 cores. It can make up for the lack of threads with higher clock speeds but that doesn't always work (see minimum frame rates in Metro Last Light), and you will have to always maintain a clean install of windows to avoid hiccups and frame rate dips with 6600k.

If you only game on your computer it would be relatively easy to keep it clean, for example, disable anti virus, remove all bloatware and disable windows indexer(they suddenly decide to run right in the middle of a game and sometimes cause hiccups). However, if you do anything else, then keeping the computer gaming optimised can be a bit of a pain. With the Ryzen 1600 and 1700, you can just forget about background applications.

Solution