[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2400G Temperature around 90C Full Load, Normal or Not?

Dec 2, 2018
Hello, i know there's a lot of people who have been asking bout Ryzen 5 2400G temps. But i never found one with my case.

I am living in a tropical weather with ambient temp around 30C +/- 4C

When idle, my Ryzen temps stays around 35 to 37C, which is quite normal according to several thread i read. When i game (The Witcher 3, DOTA 2, etc) it jumps to around 65 - 70C (which again still quite normal according to what i read).

But the problem starts when i do rendering with blender.

with my case closed, the temps can reach to around 94C, and down to around 87C when i open the case side panel. While some other people only maxxed their ryzen temp around 75-80C even with sub optimal case airflow.

what do you think about this? is this just an outcome of poor airflow which i could solve with adding fans, or there is something else going on?

FYI, i am running my setup inside a slim midtower case with only 2x 80mm fan slot in the back, and some ventilation slot on the side panel. Do i need to buy new case?

Full setup are as follows:
- Ryzen 5 2400G + stock cooler
- Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H
- 1TB Sata HDD
- 16GB 2400 Mhz RAM
- 450 watt 80+ bronze PSU

Solution
Thanks for the update. Voltage is still normal w/ Ryzen. Mine jumps to a bit over 1.4v with no adjustments and running "stock" with just Precision Boost and XFR doing their job. The changes in voltage are so quick, they shouldn't be adding much to the temps. However, some folks will set a static Vcore to get a lower overall temperature. An intake fan somewhere is definitely recommended. Still, 87C with side panel off all together seems high. Possible you have a bad mounting of the cooler? Be aware that if you try to remove cooler, be very careful. It's recommended to lightly try and twist the cooler loose a bit before pulling off, as it quite often rips the CPU right out of the socket which risks bent pins.
Can you provide any pics? It sounds like you have very poor ventilation for your setup. Even blender shouldn't have that high of temps I would think. Plus, the VRM setup on A320 series is going to be on the week side plus no really cooling based on board pics.

Dec 2, 2018

You mean picture of my setup? okay i'll post it later today after i get back from office. And yes, that's what bothers me, when gaming, the temps never go that high. 70 is highest i've seen. but when rendering, it always get that hot....

Oh and about the voltage, my CPU constantly fluctuates between 1.01 to 1.2v is that normal? I know i can do nothing about it anyway, since i am using A320 chipset. but i'm just curious.

The voltage looks normal. I have a 2700X in a very small ITX case, NCASE M1. Only have a single 120mm intake fan, and push/pull setup on CPU cooler. Plenty of other hardware and wiring inside, and with Blender I get about 80C, which is high, but CPU cooler is small due to limited space.

I'll watch for the pic update when I get back on the forums later.

Dec 2, 2018

w6LZvjG.jpg

4wMgR39.jpg

Hello, here's the pic of my setup, with and without fan attachment. Oh and by the way, my voltage jumps to around 1.35v under full load. is that still normal? i suspect that quite high voltage also contribute to the overall heat?

Thanks for the update. Voltage is still normal w/ Ryzen. Mine jumps to a bit over 1.4v with no adjustments and running "stock" with just Precision Boost and XFR doing their job. The changes in voltage are so quick, they shouldn't be adding much to the temps. However, some folks will set a static Vcore to get a lower overall temperature. An intake fan somewhere is definitely recommended. Still, 87C with side panel off all together seems high. Possible you have a bad mounting of the cooler? Be aware that if you try to remove cooler, be very careful. It's recommended to lightly try and twist the cooler loose a bit before pulling off, as it quite often rips the CPU right out of the socket which risks bent pins.

Solution
Dec 2, 2018

Thank you for the response. Okay so apparently, what's left is to check the CPU cooler. If i am to change my cooler to aftermarket one, do you have any recommendation for good tower cooler that is under USD 35? preferably one with extra cooling ability (can handle around 100watt tdp) because im running on a tight budget right now...
Thanks!

novajetfire333

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
No No No you need to get some good maglev fans in your case and ditch the stock air cooler im running a be quiet pure rock pro 150w tdp limit.... it keeps my 2400g at around 71c on 4.05 ghz overclock pushing 1.45 volts (the max amd says is safe) im sorry but the stock coller on that apu doesnt cut it. and like i said get you some quality fans in a good airflow config apus get really hot really fast sine its a cpu and gpu in one, you have to keep it cool