Question Ryzen 5 2400G vs 2600

Mar 11, 2019
I was Planning a Buget Build. My buget went High With 2600+after market cooler + 1660ti so instead of that
I Chosen 2400G + after market cooler and A 1660ti

Will my System be future proof and Will I experience to much performance Diffirence then with the 2600

Thank you

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
You already has a dedicated GPU, so go for 2600, it's much better. The only advantage of the 2400G is, that is has an integrated GPU (which you won't need anyway since you have 1660ti).

Mar 11, 2019
You already has a dedicated GPU, so go for 2600, it's much better. The only advantage of the 2400G is, that is has an integrated GPU (which you won't need anyway since you have 1660ti).

I'm choosing the 2400G Beacause it's Cheap Here where I live The 2600 is Much more expensive and With addition of the After market Cooler soo 2400G was Only option i know It's A Bit Slow but can I Atleast See some decent performance I can't buy a 2600 because it will Over price my Build

InvalidError

Titan
Okay, reviews said the Wraith Cooler was Bad on this so I was Worried if that's the Case Yes I can Afford a 2600 then
Most reviewers have a skewed perspective due to comparing everything against the best of whatever they have ever reviewed.

Intel and AMD design their stock coolers based on what their CPUs need to meet warranty obligations under their specified worst-case operating conditions. You don't need more than that unless you have additional requirements such as quiet operation, cosmetics, ultra-compact form factor, overclocking, etc.

The only time I have used something other than the stock HSF in one of my PCs was when my four years old Core2 started thermal-throttling after I cleaned it, must have nudged the HSF in the process. Due to aging under tension, the plastic deformed over time and wouldn't put sufficient pressure on the HSF for good thermal transfer so I replaced it with a 212+ to eliminate plastic parts from the equation.

Intel's stock cooler was fine when their cpu's were only pushing 3 to 3.6ghz. But when they started pushing past 4.0ghz boost, the thermals definitely hindered sustained boost clocks. Intel's stock cooler is only rated for 73watts TDP. We know that youtube reviewers recently discovered maybe last year that most motherboards will do a factory overclock of Intel CPU's. You have to use intel's utility app to lock it to the actual rated TDP. So if you buy a processor with a 65watt tdp and the cooler is rated for 73watts, and there's potentially a factory overclock on the cpu, you can see the issue here. You can see Gamer's Nexus do a little write up about it: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3385-cheating-or-optimized-z390-motherboard-bclk-comparison

But we also have to keep in mind that Intel only rates TDP at BASE CLOCKS.

The problem with the 2600 is that AMD decided to downgrade from the Wrath Spire(95w tdp) which came with my Ryzen 1600, and give people the Wraith Stealth(65w tdp) with the Ryzen 2600. Which is no better than Intel's stock cooler. You'll be oscillating between turbo and base clocks very often.

With either CPU with the stock cooler, just count on the base clock as your standard. Any turbo boost clock you get, just consider it a bonus until you can purchase a decent cooler. I have the Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212 on my server and it's a very good cpu for the money($35). Worlds above any stock cooler.

If you can swing the extra $20 for the Ryzen 2600x right now, it's well worth it for the better 95w tdp cooler and the extra clock speed of the chip itself.

Last edited:

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Indeed the Ryzen 2600 has Wraith Stealth, which is not as good as Spire (obviously), but with a 2400G you'll get the Stealth too. So better go with 2600.
I was lucky, I got a Wraith Spire from a friend for 10€, which was good deal for me.
It depends where you're buying the CPU, in my case that was almost 50€ difference between 2600 and 2600X, so 2600 + used Spire was a better choice for me.

Mar 11, 2019
Intel's stock cooler was fine when their cpu's were only pushing 3 to 3.6ghz. But when they started pushing past 4.0ghz boost, the thermals definitely hindered sustained boost clocks. Intel's stock cooler is only rated for 73watts TDP. We know that youtube reviewers recently discovered maybe last year that most motherboards will do a factory overclock of Intel CPU's. You have to use intel's utility app to lock it to the actual rated TDP. So if you buy a processor with a 65watt tdp and the cooler is rated for 73watts, and there's potentially a factory overclock on the cpu, you can see the issue here. You can see Gamer's Nexus do a little write up about it: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3385-cheating-or-optimized-z390-motherboard-bclk-comparison

But we also have to keep in mind that Intel only rates TDP at BASE CLOCKS.

The problem with the 2600 is that AMD decided to downgrade from the Wrath Spire(95w tdp) which came with my Ryzen 1600, and give people the Wraith Stealth(65w tdp) with the Ryzen 2600. Which is no better than Intel's stock cooler. You'll be oscillating between turbo and base clocks very often.

With either CPU with the stock cooler, just count on the base clock as your standard. Any turbo boost clock you get, just consider it a bonus until you can purchase a decent cooler. I have the Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212 on my server and it's a very good cpu for the money($35). Worlds above any stock cooler.

If you can swing the extra $20 for the Ryzen 2600x right now, it's well worth it for the better 95w tdp cooler and the extra clock speed of the chip itself.

Yeah I'll not overclocking the Cpu now I'll run Everything in stock for now after a decent cooler I'll And no I can't Afford a 2600x because the price difference here is Huge..

Thanks for the Suggestion tho