[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 High Temps and Unusually High Idle Clock Speed (I think)

Teks0427

Prominent
Sep 11, 2021
Hello everyone!

My Ryzen 5 2600 idles at around 50-55 degrees C and gets up to 75+ degrees when stressed (90-100% CPU usage) for more than a few minutes. It doesn't reach 80 degrees but 75-78 degrees is a bit high, in my opinion. Software used to monitor the temps were CoreTemp, MSI Afterburner, and Gigabyte's fan control and EZ Tune software. All of them give the same temp readouts at various CPU load states, so I guess they're all telling the truth (or they're all lying, which is unlikely).

khRMcsZ.png

ywvYS4b.png

ZP2pz1R.png

Also, 1 of my cores (CPU 0) seems to be always more active than the others on Task Manager. CPU clocks are also fixed at around 3300-3400Mhz whether the CPU is idle or it's at full load. I'm sure they're supposed to vary depending on how much processing power is called for, just like my Intel CPUs.

4ECAF3b.png

All of this seems unusual to me. Is there something wrong with my configuration?

Here's what's in the system:

Ryzen 5 2600 (stock cooler)
Gigabyte B450M-DS3H V2 mobo
Kingston HyperX DDR4-2600 1x8Gb
Zotac GTX1650
Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Seasonic 750w PSU

Case has 5 fans and is quite large so airflow is no problem.
Ambient temps here are in the 30ish degree C range.
Stock thermal paste applied properly, I'm sure.

Any opinions, suggestions, recommendations, comments, guesses, or anything would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Solution
Hello everyone!

My Ryzen 5 2600 idles at around 50-55 degrees C and gets up to 75+ degrees when stressed (90-100% CPU usage) for more than a few minutes. It doesn't reach 80 degrees but 75-78 degrees is a bit high, in my opinion. Software used to monitor the temps were CoreTemp, MSI Afterburner, and Gigabyte's fan control and EZ Tune software. All of them give the same temp readouts at various CPU load states, so I guess they're all telling the truth (or they're all lying, which is unlikely).

khRMcsZ.png

ywvYS4b.png

ZP2pz1R.png

Also, 1 of my cores (CPU 0) seems to be always more active than the others on Task Manager. CPU clocks are also fixed...
Hello everyone!

khRMcsZ.png

ywvYS4b.png

ZP2pz1R.png

Also, 1 of my cores (CPU 0) seems to be always more active than the others on Task Manager. CPU clocks are also fixed at around 3300-3400Mhz whether the CPU is idle or it's at full load. I'm sure they're supposed to vary depending on how much processing power is called for, just like my Intel CPUs.

4ECAF3b.png

All of this seems unusual to me. Is there something wrong with my configuration?

Here's what's in the system:

Ryzen 5 2600 (stock cooler)
Gigabyte B450M-DS3H V2 mobo
Kingston HyperX DDR4-2600 1x8Gb
Zotac GTX1650
Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Seasonic 750w PSU

Case has 5 fans and is quite large so airflow is no problem.
Ambient temps here are in the 30ish degree C range.
Stock thermal paste applied properly, I'm sure.

Any opinions, suggestions, recommendations, comments, guesses, or anything would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help!
Try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot), after updated go back to bios and enable Amd Cool n quiet, save and exit.
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plan (if there is any, and set the minimum processor state on 5%) and save changes.
  • Install the latest nvidia driver.
  • And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any.
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Reactions: Teks0427
Solution

Teks0427

Prominent
Sep 11, 2021
Try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot), after updated go back to bios and enable Amd Cool n quiet, save and exit.
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plan (if there is any, and set the minimum processor state on 5%) and save changes.
  • Install the latest nvidia driver.
  • And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any.

I did all that and it seemed to help lower the CPU clock speeds to a minimum of around 2500 Mhz to a maximum of 3900 Mhz on cores 1-12 instead of having them all fixed at 3400 Mhz like it did before. Weird thing though, temps haven't changed and Core 0 is still more active than the others. That's the part that's got me stumped. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to divide the load among several, if not all, the threads.

GzSZzBT.png

The Core Temp window on the left is the one before the fix was applied and the one on the right is the one after the fix was done.

Thank you for your input...

I did all that and it seemed to help lower the CPU clock speeds to a minimum of around 2500 Mhz to a maximum of 3900 Mhz on cores 1-12 instead of having them all fixed at 3400 Mhz like it did before. Weird thing though, temps haven't changed and Core 0 is still more active than the others. That's the part that's got me stumped. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to divide the load among several, if not all, the threads.

GzSZzBT.png

The Core Temp window on the left is the one before the fix was applied and the one on the right is the one after the fix was done.

Thank you for your input...
Yup, amd ryzen balanced keep the cores boosted to 3.9 compared to windows balanced. thats fine, for better cooling, go with a better cooler and paste, like Gammaxx 400S is ok enough when paired with gelid gc extreme. i achieve lower temp than stock paste using gammaxx paste.

There is very little wrong with your system Teks and your temps are within spec with the cooler your using.

Although slightly higher than ideal your core 0 is being used to boost performance when conditions are right.

Check your Core Voltage as it is usually set higher than required. You should not need more than 1.375V on the Core. (Check in CPUz)

You will also benefit by disablng Core Boost (set as default) and have an all core Overclock of 3.6Ghz. Sharing the load like this will slightly improve temps under load for sustained periods. The Wraith Cooler you have is only good for default/bclk frequency and further reduction in temps would be got from an AIO Water cooler.

Teks0427

Prominent
Sep 11, 2021
Yup, amd ryzen balanced keep the cores boosted to 3.9 compared to windows balanced. thats fine, for better cooling, go with a better cooler and paste, like Gammaxx 400S is ok enough when paired with gelid gc extreme. i achieve lower temp than stock paste using gammaxx paste.

I see. I guess I'm just used to Intel processors since that's what I've been using for the past 10 years. Last AMD processor I used was a Phenom x4 if I remember right... :) I'm not used to my processor heating up to 75+ degrees within a few minutes of gaming. Not even my i7-7700 does that. I use Arctic MX-4 usually on my Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs and I'm happy with how it performs. I hope it's good enough for the Ryzen too...

I'm really going to get an AIO cooler soon so that would probably be the end of my worries.

Anyway, at least I'm now confident that my processor is normal and won't fry itself to death because I did something wrong. It never did get anywhere near 95 degrees, so I guess it's running as designed.

Thank you very much for the help... I really appreciate it...

Reactions: Koekieezz

Teks0427

Prominent
Sep 11, 2021
Check your Core Voltage as it is usually set higher than required. You should not need more than 1.375V on the Core. (Check in CPUz)

I've set Vcore to the default 1.2v already. All the settings, I've set to default, so it's essentially doing what a stock processor does. I'm just not used to how Ryzens run probably, since I've been using Intel processors for the past 10 years. My Intels usually max out at 60 degrees even after hours of gaming unlike the Ryzen that hits close to 80 degrees after only a few minutes.

You will also benefit by disablng Core Boost (set as default) and have an all core Overclock of 3.6Ghz. Sharing the load like this will slightly improve temps under load for sustained periods. The Wraith Cooler you have is only good for default/bclk frequency and further reduction in temps would be got from an AIO Water cooler.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If the load was shared equally between all cores, the temps would probably be lower. And you're right, I'm probably expecting too much from the stock cooler. I plan to really get an AIO cooler soon so that should keep the temps much lower.

Thank you for your advise. I really appreciate it... :)