Ryzen 5 2600/msi 450m mobo and ram compatibility question

ThePMSBeast

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I am buying a Ryzen 5 2600 and i want to pair it with a MSI B450M Bazooka Mobo and currently have an AMD Radeon R7 370 graphics card.
The ram i am looking at is a Patriot Memory VIPER 4 Series 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 8GB Dual Channel DDR4 Kit . Are these components compatible? And is the ram okay even if it is not on the QVL for the motherboard? I am on a budget and i am upgrading my gaming computer.

Solution
A lot of ram will have AMD in the name and those should work, but checking motherboard list can't hurt, it also might not be 100% accurate. I bought a 3,000mhz with b450 tomahawk and same cpu, it would only run at 2133. it was the non AMD version of Geil Evo Spear (they have AMD version, but out of stock in 3,000mhz). After messing with it a bit and doing a BIOS update it is showing 3,000mhz in the bios and almost everywhere else. All benchmarks and bios show 3,000mhz, but MSI command center shows 2133. My userbenchmark RAM score went from very underperforming to top 10%.. Like others are saying, you should be fine with whatever, but will probably have to tweak some things.

If you want to be certain about it then look for Samsung B Die...
Pretty much all DDR4 RAM will work with Ryzen 2nd Gen 400-series chipset.
What could happen with RAM not listed on the QVL, it will default to 2133-2400MHz.
You may have to play around with the BIOS settings if the RAM doesn't automatically run at 3000MHz.

Hi ThePMSBeast :)

Ryzen can be picky and 3000MHz frequency is OC RAM. As they do not appear on the QVL then they have not been tested and you may have issues.
Up to you ofc but I recommend a (2x4) 8GB kit that your MB will support.

B450M Bazooka officially supports the following:
1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)
2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)

Choosing OC RAM above the JDEC standard very often involves Bios tweaking to get them to work.
Whatever you decide, ensure you can return them if they have issues.

ThePMSBeast

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I was looking at this : Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory. Again this is not on the QVL , but shouldn't it work? Also, the mobo i listed has a XMP overclock setting, but not sure if overclocking is a way to go. I heard that Ryzen 5 2600 likes higher MHZ . Looking for a stable build that will run PC games on mid to high graphics. any help appreciated

You read our responses, you may not like them but that's the reality.
No one could confirm with certainty that it will work at the rated speed if it have not been tested.
The RAM will work but it might default to a lower speed. You may have to set the RAM manually in the BIOS.
If you want to deal with that then you should select RAM from the QVL, which has been tested to run on that specific motherboard.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
A lot of ram will have AMD in the name and those should work, but checking motherboard list can't hurt, it also might not be 100% accurate. I bought a 3,000mhz with b450 tomahawk and same cpu, it would only run at 2133. it was the non AMD version of Geil Evo Spear (they have AMD version, but out of stock in 3,000mhz). After messing with it a bit and doing a BIOS update it is showing 3,000mhz in the bios and almost everywhere else. All benchmarks and bios show 3,000mhz, but MSI command center shows 2133. My userbenchmark RAM score went from very underperforming to top 10%.. Like others are saying, you should be fine with whatever, but will probably have to tweak some things.

If you want to be certain about it then look for Samsung B Die memory. From everything I've been reading this is the good stuff for Ryzen. It also cost a bit more in the 200$ range. Here is a link to a good list of RAM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Anything on that top list is really nice. I've heard really good things about the E Die models as well. I have to make the tough choice of returning mine for one of these or keeping it now that is seems to be running at 3k.

Solution