Question Ryzen 5 2600 overheating help!

Mar 15, 2019
Hello, recently i assembled a new pc with the part ryzen 5 2600. Everything was going great but i started noticing my case was getting extremely hot. What was the problem is that my ryzen 5 2600 was at 95 degrees while doing nothing and not even overclocking! ( i did how ever get my ram to the recommended 3000 mhz ) And when i had it overclocked after that to like 3.7 clock speed with 12500 volts or something it got to like 130 degrees! I don’t really know what the problem is i tried putting new paste reinstalling the cooler but i don’t know

Specs:
Msi tomahawk b450
Ryzen 5 2600
Geforce gtx 1070 ti
2x 8gb team vulcan 3000 mhz
Gigabyte 700watt 80plus bronze psu
1tb hdd
I also use amd stock cooler

Mar 15, 2019
What monitoring software are you using? I know some can give you a false reading, or at least they used to. What does it say for temps in the Bios?
In bios it is around 30 •c
I was using Ryzen Master and Speccy and got 110 degrees + then i tested it with hardware monitor i got only around 60•c+ When idle so when i am doing litterly nothing

Mar 15, 2019
I really don't think the CPU could even run at 130 Celsius, so I would suspect that temperature reading is either wrong, or being listed in Fahrenheit. 130 F would be 54 C, and 95 F would be 35 C.
Yeah i think it is wrong too because hardware monitor says 60 •c on idle but speccy says 100 •c but still 60•c while doing nothing is still pretty high

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Hello, recently i assembled a new pc with the part ryzen 5 2600. Everything was going great but i started noticing my case was getting extremely hot. What was the problem is that my ryzen 5 2600 was at 95 degrees while doing nothing and not even overclocking! ( i did how ever get my ram to the recommended 3000 mhz ) And when i had it overclocked after that to like 3.7 clock speed with 12500 volts or something it got to like 130 degrees! I don’t really know what the problem is i tried putting new paste reinstalling the cooler but i don’t know

Specs:
Msi tomahawk b450
Ryzen 5 2600
Geforce gtx 1070 ti
2x 8gb team vulcan 3000 mhz
Gigabyte 700watt 80plus bronze psu
1tb hdd
I also use amd stock cooler

Sounds like the cpu wasnt soldered properly during manufacturing. return or exchange it mate.

alternatively try this,

1. update bios to newest version. guides available online.

2. restore all defaults in the bios and save (this is usually one of the F keys, f5 or something). Pressing delete over and over again when you turn the system on will get you into the bios.

3. Go back into bios, disable XFR/boosted frequency and c states/pstates. set any llc settings to auto.
Change cpu voltage to manual and set it to 1.25V

4. check temps

5. replace thermal paste (cheap arctic or thermaltake is ok for testing, just dont buy any gold colour thermal paste or liquid metal) and or CPU cooler. hyper 212 evo is cheap and very good.

6. Check temps again.

If your temps are still high then you've most likely got a damaged cpu, psu or motherboard.

hope this helps

p.s forgot to mention, but you have got case fans in your case right? check their pointing the right way. again, theres guides for this on youtubes

pss make sure theres no standoffs in the wrong places under the mobo too

Mar 15, 2019
Sounds like the cpu wasnt soldered properly during manufacturing. return or exchange it mate.

alternatively try this,

1. update bios to newest version. guides available online.

2. restore all defaults in the bios and save (this is usually one of the F keys, f5 or something). Pressing delete over and over again when you turn the system on will get you into the bios.

3. Go back into bios, disable XFR/boosted frequency and c states/pstates. set any llc settings to auto.
Change cpu voltage to manual and set it to 1.25V

4. check temps

5. replace thermal paste (cheap arctic or thermaltake is ok for testing, just dont buy any gold colour thermal paste or liquid metal) and or CPU cooler. hyper 212 evo is cheap and very good.

6. Check temps again.

If your temps are still high then you've most likely got a damaged cpu, psu or motherboard.

hope this helps

p.s forgot to mention, but you have got case fans in your case right? check their pointing the right way. again, theres guides for this on youtubes

pss make sure theres no standoffs in the wrong places under the mobo too
Well i did update bios newest version resetted it set on auto i replaced with thermal paste noctua nt-h1 but it didn’t help.. idon’t know man also the back of my case gets really hot i don’t know if there’s any fix for that?

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah i think it is wrong too because hardware monitor says 60 •c on idle but speccy says 100 •c but still 60•c while doing nothing is still pretty high
Don't use speccy, it's showing false temp with Ryzen. AMD have said that only use the Ryzen Master to get the real temp. HWMonitor is working for me fine, but I also have heard that for some people it's showing false temps so you should check the temps from Ryzen Master.

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Well i did update bios newest version resetted it set on auto i replaced with thermal paste noctua nt-h1 but it didn’t help.. idon’t know man also the back of my case gets really hot i don’t know if there’s any fix for that?

did you do all the steps i suggested? setting the cpu voltage to 1.25, all other voltage settings to auto and frequency to auto is important to do because this will tell me if your system is performing as it should.

Im a 2600 user and have very recently ran a battery of configuration tests/bios and os tweeks to get the most out of this cpu. I now have a cpu that performs similar to the 8600k in single thread operations.

Also, we need info on your case fan setup as well. what size is your case?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
Don't use speccy, it's showing false temp with Ryzen. AMD have said that only use the Ryzen Master to get the real temp. HWMonitor is working for me fine, but I also have heard that for some people it's showing false temps so you should check the temps from Ryzen Master.
EVERYONE i said this 5 times i am NOW USING HWmonitor stop suggesting it i said on hwmonitor it still says 60 degrees or 50/55 •c while idle

Mar 15, 2019
did you do all the steps i suggested? setting the cpu voltage to 1.25, all other voltage settings to auto and frequency to auto is important to do because this will tell me if your system is performing as it should.

Im a 2600 user and have very recently ran a battery of configuration tests/bios and os tweeks to get the most out of this cpu. I now have a cpu that performs similar to the 8600k in single thread operations.

Also, we need info on your case fan setup as well. what size is your case?
I have the corsair spec03 i have 1 fan infront 1 at back i checked and they are facing the right way

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
I have the corsair spec03 i have 1 fan infront 1 at back i checked and they are facing the right way
So what have you checked so far?
You still haven't confirmed your cpu voltage settings. Set it to 1.25v. Set all the other voltage setting to auto. All of em. Disable hyperthreading. Manually set your cpu frequency to 3.6ghz. Check your temps.

Confirm in your next post that you have done this and tell us your new temps.

Mar 15, 2019
So what have you checked so far?
You still haven't confirmed your cpu voltage settings. Set it to 1.25v. Set all the other voltage setting to auto. All of em. Disable hyperthreading. Manually set your cpu frequency to 3.6ghz. Check your temps.

Confirm in your next post that you have done this and tell us your new temps.
I will do this today after work right now every volt settings is on auto