Question Ryzen 5 2600 Streaming overclock

Jul 11, 2019
So I've been running this setup for a bit now.
MSI B450m Pro m-2
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1060
Viper 4 Patriot 2x8 3200 MHz

I overclocked the CPU to 4.1 GHz all core with 1.3375V. Everything runs stable until I try streaming a game like fortnite. 10-20 minutes in the pc would freeze. The temps are fine. Max 65c on stock cooler While gaming.
I don't have much experience in voltages, and I'm wondering if I should go higher with the voltage or lower, to make the system stable? Or if I should go 4 GHz? If so, which voltages would be stable? Sorry if this question have been asked before. But stable streaming is important to me.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would definitely try lowering your multiplier to 40 (4 GHz). The slight increase in performance using 4.1 GHz OC with higher voltage just isn't worth it IMO.
As a reference I can play games like AC Oddessy while streaming to 2 1080p TV's with my Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd to 4 GHz @ 1.3v and my RAM OC'd to 3400 MHz.

Jul 11, 2019
I would definitely try lowering your multiplier to 40 (4 GHz). The slight increase in performance using 4.1 GHz OC with higher voltage just isn't worth it IMO.
As a reference I can play games like AC Oddessy while streaming to 2 1080p TV's with my Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd to 4 GHz @ 1.3v and my RAM OC'd to 3400 MHz.
4 GHz and 1.3v. Will try that and come back with results

I am about to try. Also, I am about to try to over clock from ryzen master. Will that have any impact on anything? Because I got tired of restarting and going into bios every time
What temperature is your VRM running at and what CPU cooling are you using? That board has no heatsinking on the FET's so VRM overheating is causing voltage instability or even throttling. Backing down the overclock is probably a good idea.

The bundled Wraithe isn't great for overclocking the CPU but at least it puts some airflow on the VRM... if you're using something else you might consider putting a fan to blow on the VRM FET's to help. I've put these things: https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-MOS-C10-Forged-Copper-Heatsinks/dp/B004CL89D8 on FET's before. They aren't anything like a real heatsink, but anything that helps increase surface area, along with a fan on them, can't hurt.

Using RM until you find what's stable would be a good idea. You'd probably also be better off using PBO instead of a manual all-core, at least for stability.

In the end, if you want a big overclock you'll need a motherboard with better VRM.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I got my cpu to run at 4.2ghz with 1.4v.I can do it but the question really is do you need it..For an all day oc i would rather go with a smaller oc for instance 4ghz at a lower voltage...

I personally don't oc as this pc should last me at least 4/5 years before i upgrade.Techdeals actually did a yt video that shows oc just are not worth it on ryzen cpu's not on the 3xxx models and certainly not on a 2xxx model.You will maybe get 5-12fps depending on game you play.Is that really worth avoiding warranty for overclocking?

Jul 11, 2019
What temperature is your VRM running at and what CPU cooling are you using? That board has no heatsinking on the FET's so VRM overheating is causing voltage instability or even throttling. Backing down the overclock is probably a good idea.

The bundled Wraithe isn't great for overclocking the CPU but at least it puts some airflow on the VRM... if you're using something else you might consider putting a fan to blow on the VRM FET's to help. I've put these things: https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-MOS-C10-Forged-Copper-Heatsinks/dp/B004CL89D8 on FET's before. They aren't anything like a real heatsink, but anything that helps increase surface area, along with a fan on them, can't hurt.

Using RM until you find what's stable would be a good idea. You'd probably also be better off using PBO instead of a manual all-core, at least for stability.

In the end, if you want a big overclock you'll need a motherboard with better VRM.
Did 3.9 GHz with 1.3V seems stable. In intense games while streaming to twitch the CPU reaches 75-80 Degrees in fortnite. And the frames start dropping. I play 1080p144fps BTW. I'm not sure if that's throttling or not. I will try running with HWInfo and see. At least I don't crash anymore

Jul 11, 2019

Stock cover btw

.. In intense games while streaming to twitch the CPU reaches 75-80 Degrees in fortnite. And the frames start dropping...
It could also simply be the CPU's being overloaded by streaming and gaming simultaneously. 6 core/12 thread CPU's are the sweet spot for budget gaming but simultaneous streaming seems to put a drag on them.

Do you have an option to reduce, or increase, the streaming resolution? That is, can you drop to 720p if it's at 1080p, for instance. That may help if you've not already.

Jul 11, 2019
It could also simply be the CPU's being overloaded by streaming and gaming simultaneously. 6 core/12 thread CPU's are the sweet spot for budget gaming but simultaneous streaming seems to put a drag on them.

Do you have an option to reduce, or increase, the streaming resolution? That is, can you drop to 720p if it's at 1080p, for instance. That may help if you've not already.
I will try that tommorow. Also I just came to think of my cooling method. I've set the CPU fan curve so it's damn silent under full load. Maybe I have to change that. And yea I have been streaming 1080p60 fps. First I'll try 1080p30 fps and then 720p60fps. I'll come back with results tomorrow