Question Ryzen 5 2600 Voltage Problem

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Specs :
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600 stock cooler
  • Motherboard : ASRock B450M-HDV
  • RAM : 2x4 EVO POTENZA DDR4 2666 Mhz (OC to 3200 Mhz)
  • PSU : Infinity 550 W 80+ Bronze
  • GPU : ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super Twin Fan
  • BIOS version : Version 3.70 (it came straight out of the box. I didn't update it. And I bought it brand new, sealed from the local store).
So today I wanted to do some cable management to clean up the mess in my PC. I ground myself, unplug the PSU and press the power button to drain the remaining current. Then I unplug everything. Before I re-plug the cable back in, I installed 2 fan case on front side. And because the screwdriver is quite big, I need to unplug the RAM on the 2nd slot. Then I continued putting on the fans, screws, and finally put all the cables back in. But when I tried to re-plug the RAM, I kinda didn't insert it completely. So when I turned on the PC, it beep 3x which indicate RAM Failure. So, I re-plug the RAM and tried to turned it on again and it back alive thankfully. The problem is, before I do cable management, I undervolt the CPU to 1.075 V at 3.4 Ghz in order to lower its temp. But, when I checked it again using HWimonitor and AMD Ryzen Master now it automatically locked at 3.7 - 3.9 Ghz at 1,2 - 1,3 V. And that's putting more heat into the CPU. When I checked the BIOS again, it still said my previous settings. CPU on 3.4 Ghz with 1.075 V. I do can change the settings when the Windows already open using the AMD Ryzen Master. But the BIOS settings still remain the same. What has gone wrong? Can I fixed it?

ratAB

Commendable
Feb 23, 2020
well your cpu core voltage will be applicable only when ryzen master is on and when u select the profile that u set the voltage on. So it won't be shown in the bios since cpe core voltage hasn't been tampered yet until u select ryzen master and choose your profile with your custom cpu core voltage. The change in temps will be noticable when you go back and fourth with the profiles with your custom core voltage and one without. btw putting your core voltage on 1.075 is too low and will potentially hurt your cpu, that's what i heard. there are posts that tells people to change 'cpu overclocking mode' (not the exact words) to 'ryzen oc' but the mode is locked for people with msi mobo. Maybe u should try to do the same and check your bios setting. That's all from my knowledge, hope it helps :D

Reactions: Rae Nelvin

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
well your cpu core voltage will be applicable only when ryzen master is on and when u select the profile that u set the voltage on. So it won't be shown in the bios since cpe core voltage hasn't been tampered yet until u select ryzen master and choose your profile with your custom cpu core voltage. The change in temps will be noticable when you go back and fourth with the profiles with your custom core voltage and one without. btw putting your core voltage on 1.075 is too low and will potentially hurt your cpu, that's what i heard. there are posts that tells people to change 'cpu overclocking mode' (not the exact words) to 'ryzen oc' but the mode is locked for people with msi mobo. Maybe u should try to do the same and check your bios setting. That's all from my knowledge, hope it helps :D
I don't want to overclock my CPU in any conditions yet. I saw on 1 article saying that at 3.4 Ghz 1.075V is a stable voltage. So I went it for like, 1 week. But, maybe I'll just leave it on default if it's dangerous to my CPU. I just want to lower its temp since the airflow in my case isn't that good. And I'm using the stock cooler that makes my CPU ran at 53C when idle and up to 75C when playing PUBG. I want to buy aftermarket CPU cooler next month after my payment tho. But for now, I'd try any ways to reduce it's heat. And btw, before I did the cable management, the CPU is locked at 1.075 V from the startup till the Windows show up by changing it manually in BIOS. I don't know why now it's not working.